PDA

View Full Version here: : Stiff wooden tripod legs

Profiler
21-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Hi All

This may seem like an odd and perhaps simple problem to solve but my wooden tripod legs seem perpetually stiff and require a reasonable amount of effort to be pushed down to be extended.

I seem to recall an old wives remedy of rubbing a candle (i.e. wax) along grooves/joints on all sorts of wooden carpentry to fix similar issues with furniture but before I go ahead with this I just wanted to check in case anyone else had some better suggestions.

Oh yes - just to clarify - Yes - the tension screws on the legs are all fully loosened and still the legs are very stiff and will not slide out unless pushed with some effort.

Barrykgerdes
21-07-2012, 03:27 PM
I have a 4 drawer cabinet that was always a pain to pull the drawers out, wooden slides.

Don't laugh! The only thing I had at the time (about a year) ago was a jar of margarine. I put a thin wipe on the surface with a rag and a few drops margarine. It has been Ok ever since.

Barry

leon
21-07-2012, 04:06 PM
A bit of wax will do the trick, but if you don't want to go down that path, a little sprinkle of baby powder will also help.
Just powder it on, move the legs up and down a bit and just blow or wipe off the excess.
It dosent hurt a baby's bum, so I'm sure the legs will handle it.

Leon

originaltrilogy
21-07-2012, 04:14 PM
I use furniture wax but candle does work.

snowyskiesau
21-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Beeswax.

brian nordstrom
22-07-2012, 10:20 AM
:D I coat the legs in baby powder first for a few days , that dries any moisture and residue off before the wax is applied .
Brian.

Profiler
22-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Thank you all - some very good suggestions.

astro_nutt
23-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Here's another one...try using some Goss Dri-lube available from most Auto Accessory stores...