PDA

View Full Version here: : Tak collimation scope and GSO RC's

Paul Haese
19-07-2012, 10:41 PM
A month or so ago I had a minor mishap (drove the STL into a ladder late at night; no physical damage done) and needed to sort out the collimation on my GSO RC12. Collimation was affected slightly. Despite CCD inspector suggesting that my collimation was good I could see that it was not correct. I needed a way to check the rear collimation.

I bought a tak collimation scope to sort the problem. Then I discovered I needed an adapter from the Feather Touch focusor to the Tak scope. The Feather Touch has a screw thread fitting (no compression ring) and so too does the Tak scope. So after making an order with Precise Parts it finally came last week.

Tonight was the first chance I have had to assemble it all properly and determine the level of miscollimation.

Within minutes I had determined that the secondary was slightly out of collimation which I adjusted. Then looking at the secondary shadow I determined that the primary was slight out too. Adjusting the screws was simple and achieved the results I wanted in a couple of minutes.

It was that simple. However, I did watch the RCOS video made by Ken Crawford a couple of times, and followed a couple of pieces of literature (one with the Tak scope and the other through Bintel) to clarify which shadow was which.

If you own an RC of any desciption you need a collimation scope. It is worth the $300 including delivery. This is my suggestion of the day. Great tool. Now to star test (when the clouds go) and onto my imaging projects. :)

pvelez
27-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Hi Paul

I'm about to embark on collimation for my RC8 - again. My last attempt was not a disaster but not a success either.

How has your experience been since you posted this? Are you still happy with the Tak collimation tool?

Pete

Paul Haese
27-04-2013, 11:23 PM
The Tak scope is good and it will get the back end sorted for you, but final collimation (ie the secondary) needs a star in steady seeing. That said the Tak scope got me very close and worth having as a tool.

pvelez
28-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks Paul

With the A$ being so strong against the yen, I thought it might be a good time to make the investment. Sounds like it is.

Pete

Dennis
28-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Just check that your secondary mirror has a central spot marked – I believe that it is necessary to have a centre dot on the secondary mirror to use this collimating scope.

Cheers

Dennis

graham.hobart
30-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Paul, can you give us some details on the adaptor you had to have machined?-I am awaiting (still) an RC 8 and I have the feather Touch to go it.
Cheers
Graham

Paul Haese
30-04-2013, 07:28 PM
The adapter I had made up was from a thread on the 3" focusor on my feather touch (STL thread) to the outside thread diameter on the tak scope. I got that done at precision parts. I think it was in their online builder from memory.