PDA

View Full Version here: : Four-reticle red dot finder

Varangian
17-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Hi all,

I'm after a red dot finder, I'm getting lost using the straight through finder on the new Newtonian and I find it far easier to line up stars using the red dot I had on my Dobsonian. I'm interested to know more about the Four-reticle (four target) red dot finder, can some kind soul please provide some information around the differences between the standard red dot finder and this one?

Much obliged. John.

big_dav_2001
17-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Hi John,

I haven't used a four reticle finder before, and to be honest, dont really know a lot about them, but i (and no doubt many others) highly recommend looking into Telrad finders... Its a straight-through 'Heads-up-display' style zero-magnification finder. It projects concentric circles of various degrees (0.5, 2 and 4 degrees of FOV), these can be matched to guides on various star-charts to make star-hopping to faint objects from their nearest visible star pretty easy.

good review here:http://www.backyard-astro.com/equipment/accessories/telrad/telrad.html

As ive said, i dont have any area for comparison, but that's only because the Telrad is all ive needed.

Hope it helps
Davin

Ross G
18-06-2012, 05:15 AM
Hi John,

The 4 reticle finder has 4 different sighting patterns that you can choose from using a rotary dial eg a crosshair, a bulls eye etc.

I have owned one for 4 years and have only used the one pattern.
They do work very well. Much easier than a standard finder scope.

The William optics one is excellent.

Good luck

Ross.

mozzie
18-06-2012, 11:08 AM
hi john,
if your using it on your 8" dob go a 4 reticle red dot finder small light weight..the telrad is quiet large and will be cumbersome on the end of your dobsonion...i own both types mentioned here and they are both excellent just used for different types of scopes and sizes..

big_dav_2001
18-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Sorry John, i didn't notice what scope you were putting it on. Mozzie's right, they are pretty large and cumbersome, and probably wouldn't suit a smaller scope.

Sorry for the confusion

FlashDrive
18-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Hello John ... I find the Red Dot Finder very comfortable to use and prefer it over the usual ' optical ' ones provided with Scopes today .... I also got ' lost 'sometimes ... and crossed over to using the RDF.... it's small and unobtrusive ... and not to expensive.

I use the one shown in the pics .... there are different ' variants ' around ... but these are great.

Much easier to you John.

Flash :hi:

cjamo9
18-06-2012, 01:20 PM
just today recieved mine and installed it on my scope. lines it up with a distant object and tightend everything up. lookin forward to tonight. dont think ill need to change it from the crosshairs though. got mine from skies unlimited on ebay uk. id recomend this type of base if you dont mind drilling a hole in you tube for the screw.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Telescope-Red-Dot-Finder-Multi-reticle-W-O-compatible-/380435290786?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepie ces&hash=item5893b5daa2

Varangian
18-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks all, I'm using it on a 8" Newtonian on a very study eq4 mount so the weight won't matter but I do prefer the RDF. Maybe the telrad for sometime in the future.

Thanks all.