PDA

View Full Version here: : First frame of H-Alpha with DSLR - M8 Lagoon

LucasB
07-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 6nm Ha Filter for the DSLR from a fellow IIS member (thanks Troy!) and took it out for its first run last Friday night. It is only a single 10 minute frame with no darks, bias or flats but I was very happy with the result. I have read a lot about "only 1/4 of the pixels are red in the bayer matrix" type discussions so I was pleased with the response with the modded camera. I was recently asked by another IIS regarding whether to mod or not but hadn't tried the Ha filter at the time. I would now say it is a definite YES - go for it if you plan to do some Ha work. Overall I am super impressed with the filter. I have only applied one level adjustment , one very slight noise reduction (faded to 40%) and a very light USM to the image.

Here is the link (details below the image) :

http://www.pbase.com/astroaussie/image/143744710/original

I am investing in an OAG set-up so I can improve some star shapes by removing the flexure. I currently use a 50mm finderguider in the finder saddle!

Comments and critique always welcome!
Lucas

tilbrook@rbe.ne
07-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi Lucas,

That's very impressive!!
Damn your giving me idea's, this could be bad for my hip pocket.

Cheers,

Justin.

RickS
07-06-2012, 11:02 PM
That worked very well, Lucas! Better than I would have expected from a Bayer matrix.

Cheers,
Rick.

alpal
08-06-2012, 11:49 PM
I agree - I'm quite surprised.
It's a nice sharp photo with pinpoint stars.

DJT
09-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi Lucas
Great image.I spent a while comparing to an rgb and am seriously impressed with the level of detail you are getting . I got the rest of Troys filters and am currently cooking up some Ha so having seen yours, very keen to see results.

LP? Paah..

LucasB
09-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks Justin. Like everything in this hobby, ideas are expensive but usually very rewarding! :thumbsup:

Thanks Rick and alpal. I agree with you both which is why I posted the initial test frame. I think that the DSLR can be used with very satisfying results for Ha work when it has been modded.:thumbsup:

Thanks David. The comparison with rgb really shows the sharpness and detail you can get with this filter. I think you have bought well. After my initial image I am now eyeing off an OIII for my collection. Loving the narrow band on the DSLR so far. I can see the Melbourne city skyline from my house and have an industrial carpark about 3km behind my back fence and as you know the moon was present and not far from full. LP is not an issue with this filter. Yeah!:thumbsup:

DavidTrap
09-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Very impressed with your results from a DSLR.

I just reprocessed some CCD Ha data of M8, and yours compares favorably!

DT

LucasB
11-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks David. I am looking forward to capturing, calibrating and stacking a number of images to see what can be acheived.:thumbsup:

RobF
11-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Great work for sure Lucas. I suspect any detail you lost through the Bayer matrix has more than been made up for with the quality of the image your OTA is giving.

swannies1983
12-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Wow that's quite impressive!

+1 :lol:

troypiggo
12-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Excellent result! Really glad you're happy with it. Looking forward to seeing more from you and David (DJT) ;)

alexandre
12-06-2012, 03:33 PM
hello Lucas
I find this test more than conclusive, it starts very well!:)
I see a complete picture!

was soon;)
@lex

multiweb
12-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Amazing resolution and dynamic range in the core. Very detailed. :thumbsup:

LucasB
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks Rob. The APM refractor is a real beauty and it is definitely a keeper! :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan. I hear an Ha filter calling your name...

Thanks Troy. The filter is a cracker and has performed beyond my expectations with my set up. More to come when we get some good weather. :thumbsup:

Thanks Alex. Hopefully some good weather conditions soon!:thumbsup:

Thanks Marc. The core was a real eye opener when I first saw the image. It is certainly a huge jump in resolution from my rgb images of this region!:thumbsup: