PDA

View Full Version here: : Ngc6744

[1ponders]
30-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Just over 4 hours and I think it still needs about another 4 hours. 17x15min I thought would be heaps, but unlike a similar shot I took this time last year with a mono camera, the SX M25C OSC just doesn't seem to have the legs to carry it with this one. Also much more noise to battle around the fringes.

One good thing, I think I'm starting to get the hang of colour balance, but more work needed. Would an IR filter be of any use?

jjjnettie
30-05-2012, 09:47 PM
If only it all the galaxies were conveniently placed away from all those foreground stars.
Nice work Paul.

RickS
30-05-2012, 10:25 PM
It's a faint one, Paul! The lower QE of your OSC camera will be working against you. Good work to get that much in 4 hours.

Cheers,
Rick.

stevous67
31-05-2012, 09:43 AM
That is a nice effort Paul. The galaxy is well resolved. It certainly looks like M33.

I know the one shot colour solution was the same for me in the past for fainter objects. I found that some colour detail was lost in stars, and fainter object areas, like that in galaxy arms. This was especially the case with the longer sub exposures. I did later figure out that I could combined shorter sub exposures to return colour into certain areas.

But like Rick said, it is a faint object. I am just finishing off a version of NGC6744 right now, and it has been a challenge.

Steve

[1ponders]
31-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks guys. Yes there are definitely limitations to the OSC but its nice to stretch equipment and see what it can do. I think at least another 4 hours could be in order ... and some shorter subs...and a few nights when the seeing isn't jumping all over the place like a tennis ball. The good thing about 6744 is its only going to get higher and better over the next 6 months :)

If I could get the diffraction spikes aligned and the image scale sorted out I'd take some Lums with my H9 to add to the galaxy.

jjjnettie
31-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Which is where Refractors come into their own. Those damn spikes. :(

h0ughy
31-05-2012, 04:09 PM
NICE WORK PAUL. you should get some more clear skies next week ;)

strongmanmike
31-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Having little knowledge of OSC processing I can't help there but I know even though it is a large galaxy it has a low surface brightness so does need some good exposure time. Apart from the lack of colour (hard to show well due to the faintness) it is a good image.

Mike

[1ponders]
31-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Don't think so Dave, got a damn spikeless refractor coming. :P

Thanks Mike, I add some more along with some shorter images for star colour and see how it comes up. :thumbsup: