PDA

View Full Version here: : M16

RobF
25-05-2012, 11:21 PM
I got many hours of decent M16 data from the surburban backyard last year, but have struggled to complete processing for various reasons, not the least the (previously until recently) laborious calibration/registration/integration steps in Pixinsight.

It's getting a bit like "Groundhog Day" everytime I sit down to complete a decent HaLRGB effort, but had another go tonight and putting up some Ha I've managed to "noisify" during processing. Still showing plenty of promise I think when I get there. Come to think of it I could collect some more data now which is another excuse to put off completing it! :P

About 160 mins of 5 and 10min subs in Ha here. QHY9 on the 8" Newt.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
26-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Hi Rob,

What an amazing image!!

Don't think I've seen M16 quite like this before, the gas cloud in the top right hand corner should be named the donut!

Cheers,

Justin.

peter_4059
26-05-2012, 08:49 AM
These Ha images always have such good contrast and tight stars. Looking good Rob. Have you tried the pixinsight calibration script?

stevous67
26-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi Rob,

Thats looking great. I am right now struggling with a M16 HaRGB data set. Its hard for me, as you need to combine a lovely tight Ha image to a colourful star bloated RGB combination. Good luck to you when you come to trying it yourself.

Anyway, you are off to a good start with a nice Ha-Luminance background.

Cheers,

Steve

RickS
26-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Lovely crisp image, Rob! Look forward to the final result when you finally get there :)

TrevorW
26-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Nice close up Rob

RobF
26-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks Justin, yes it reminds me of a coat-hanger arrangement too when in this orientation.

Hi Peter. Yes, the Batch Processing script is miles ahead of anything they've had before. It's been a game-changer for me - previously large data sets took a couple of nights just to select frames, calibrate, register, stack to masters before you started processing. In fact the lack of decent automation was a big reason I used to be careful recommending PI. Still fairly slow, but results worth it I believe.

Hi Steve. Yes, every Ha blend can be a new adventure :)

Thanks Rick. I've tried a couple of versions before and put them on my website, but there's always been something I wasn't happy with. Will put it up here if I ever get a decent rendition :thumbsup:
This was another attempt at "get enough data from the backyard and it almost makes up for not having dark skies".....

multiweb
27-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Really nice Rob. Like the framing too. :thumbsup:

naskies
27-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Nice. Look forward to seeing the end result.

RobF
27-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks Marc. It almost seems a shame to show the full field when these are the "bits I love" :)

Thanks Dave. I'm back to my old tricks getting distracted with other objects and collecting data this weekend with no moon and clear skies, but will get back into it soon hopefully. Appreciate the encouragement.

strongmanmike
28-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Coming along very nicely Rob, I like the framing too :thumbsup:

I sometimes feel a little hesitant to start processing too, the work I know is ahead can take a while to accept :scared3: :lol:

Mike

jjjnettie
28-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Very nicely done young man. It's an amazingly hard region to process.

batema
28-05-2012, 09:08 PM
I think it looks fantastic Rob. Amazing detail.

Mark

RobF
29-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for sharing Mike. Nice to hear even you get a tad daunted climbing the mountain each time (so many routes to chose from too)

Thanks Jeanette - agreed - a lot of dust and dynamic range make its tricky

Thanks Mark :D
Hope might see you at AF again.