PDA

View Full Version here: : Raw Ophiuchus + Lger image

astronobob
25-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Hiya Astro-liano's

The Rho Ophiuchus Nebula Complex (IC4604) and the surrounding area is one of the most interesting and beautiful areas in the entire sky.
Featuring the bright star Antares, the Ophiuchi Triple Star and surrounding IC4604 Reflection Nebula, M4 Globular Cluster,
and the smaller NGC 6144 Globular Cluster, as well as various dark nebula, this area holds something of interest for any astronomer.

The beautiful blue IC 4604 reflection nebula surrounding the Rho Ophiuchi Triple Star is one of the standout features in this area.
It is a result of interstellar dust that is illuminated by nearby stars. The red areas of this image are emission nebulae that are created
by hydrogen gas emitting light. The dark nebula is thick dust clouds which obscure background stars.
The giant red-giant star Antares dominates the image and is surrounded by subtle and unusual yellow reflection nebulosity.
Antares is approximately 700 times larger and 9000 more luminous than our Sun.

I am really happy with this eye catching target, had to look at it again on my phone half way through a casual days work, ha ha !

So, Image stats are 15 x 150sec/2.5min Raws - 32bit Tiff - 16bitTiff - 8bit tiff then Jaypegged ! Processing after each Convert ?
Lens : Canon 70-200 'L' @ 70mm, F2.8, might add that could need stopping down as the stars at
top right & right are flared with a 1970's influence ? or lens may be out of collimation ? ?
Equipment was : Neq6p on Pier, SW ED80 Guide Phd, sided with Lens on a 600D with ICNR
Sky conditions : Nil moon, Transparency 8, Seeing 6, Temp 4degs @ Leyburn & worth every minute :thumbsup:
Sorry for the small file, as big as can go attach, PhotoBucket is not great unless pay $$ ? may look into it ! Cheers !

1500pix 800kb link http://www.astrobin.com/full/11677/?mod=none

cybereye
25-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I like it, I like it alot!! I especially like the colours and seeing M4 in the image gives a nice sense of scale - I think it's M4 anyway!!

Cheers,
Mario

RickS
25-05-2012, 06:58 PM
A lovely version of a beautiful target, Bob!

Lester
25-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Nice view Bob. All the best.

Nico13
25-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Ah so I'm not the only one who does that :P and I bet there are quite a few others as well.

Yes Bob it's a stunning image of a stunning piece of sky, have a similar shot on my phone as well but done with a 135mm lens you've just prompted me to redo it with my 77mm, it has better glass as well.
A piece of sky you could take many shots of, thanks for showing. :thumbsup:

Rigel003
26-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Nicely composed image Bob with terrific contrast and colour variation. I like the way the dark nebulae stretch out towards the corner of your frame. I'd probably tone down the colour intensity a tiny bit but that's entirely a matter of taste - it certainly makes an impact!

jenchris
26-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Spectacular - that lens is really excellent - Cool

astronobob
26-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Cool you like Mario, I have enjoyed the area with M4, & also another more distant little Glob at the low of frame M80 scraped it in I noticed, two globs :thumbsup: Cheers !

An interesting area Rick, Glad I could present it in some fashion !

Appreciated Lester

so not the only one, wheew thought was becoming inhumane ;) Thanx Ken and 77mm would be a good field also, will be interesting !

Appreciate your comment Graeme and 2nd opinion on colour saturations, I also thought bit heavy, particularly in this small file ?

Ta Jen, the lens was on auto Focus & seemed to have struggled, not sure but want to compare a few manual focused, later, hope Im right : )

CoolhandJo
26-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Very nice indeed! Well done

marco
26-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Very nice image Bob, excellent framing and very saturated. Perhaps a bit too contrasted but it is difficult to say considering the relative small size.

About a place to upload your astroimages at larger resolution for free perhaps you could find a solution here:

http://www.astrobin.com/

Clear skies
Marco

TrevorW
26-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Good work on colours and FOV the dark lanes come up nicely

Paul Haese
26-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Just minor adjustments adjustmens here Bob. Toning down the saturation and constrast just a little will make for a really lovely image. Overall though you should be well pleased with this image. Composition is really nice.

astronobob
26-05-2012, 10:09 PM
cheers Paul

Thanx for comment Marco and took a look at the astrobin and now will trya larger imager from there ?

Cheers Trevor, I look at other images to guide on colour strength, ect, there are some absolute crackers of this piece of sky, leave this one for dead : ) But I am really wrapped with it. cheers !

Always appreciate your input Paul, I do think the small file is letting it down,, am attempting to linking a larger image next :thumbsup:

astronobob
26-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Link to a 1500 pixel 800kb image :

http://www.astrobin.com/full/11677/?mod=none