PDA

View Full Version here: : Vela SNR in Hubble-esque palette

strongmanmike
15-05-2012, 11:58 PM
This is a version of part of The Vela Supernova remnant done in a new Hubble-esque palette, reprocessed from scratch.

Attached is only a small crop of an interesting bit ;)

The Full Frame can be seen HERE (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/143327982/original)

I particularly like the straight and rather deep Ha + OIII mono version myself see HERE (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/vela_snr_hubble_palette)

Hope it's interesting :)

Mike
Looks like Friday will see a new image...:prey:

Octane
16-05-2012, 12:03 AM
That's sensational.

I love it.

H

SkyViking
16-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Superb colours there Mike :) The Vela remant really look gorgeous in this palette!
Hmmmm, maybe I need to get some narrowband filters...:question:

iceman
16-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Gorgeous. That colour palette really suits.

Nico13
16-05-2012, 08:58 AM
As usual your images just blow me away, they have such depth you feel as if you can reach out and touch them.
Just love looking at them. :thumbsup:

strongmanmike
16-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Hey thanks for looking guys, glad you liked it :thumbsup:

I know it's another repro :rolleyes: :bashcomp:...but it is different from the original and was reprocessed from early stages not just colour mixed. I did purposly process it quite light and bright as the area has almost infinite detail in the background and too much darkening or noise works risks affecting the visibilty of these bits, so as a consequence there is a liiiittle bit of noise left but hopefully not too objectionable :)

Thanks again.

Mike

multiweb
16-05-2012, 09:15 AM
That looks really good! Love those tendrils. Superb colors to boot. :thumbsup:

strongmanmike
16-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks Marc, see above :thumbsup:

Mike

rogerg
16-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Psychedelic dude :thumbsup:

Nico13
16-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Hey Mike, just wondering about the Hubble like pallet and how thats achieved. As I'm very new to astro image processing I'm trying to get a grasp on the terminology used and what it actually means physically.

I've been a serious photographer for a long time and process all my images from raw using Capture One Pro software, a very good, no even better an excellent raw converter so are you just controlling your RGB to give the pallet appearence and then luminance you want in your final stacked image or is there some other dark art here with these colours :question:
Thanks for any info. :thumbsup:

marco
16-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi Mike, this time have to say I am not totally impressed, sorry mate. Target is fantastic, color is ok (well, as you know I am not at all a fan of NB palettes) but I find the image quite noisy and not natural, a bit too overprocessed for the amount of data available. Don't take me wrong, IT IS a good image of the area, simply not up to those top-notch standards you get me used to :thumbsup:

Marco

Paul Haese
16-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Nice colour, very striking image. Not sure about the saturation and the noise just needs more data. Grand image, potentially an absolute cracker.

gregbradley
16-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Feeling wild lately Mike??

Pretty wild image but its a pretty wild part of the southern sky.

I like it. I did a very colourful version of it a while ago as well. Its got it all.

Greg.

Ross G
16-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Wow Mike!

Amazing detail and wayout colours.

Ross.

RobF
16-05-2012, 09:03 PM
I feel like a giant alien beetle from "Starship Troopers" is after me on first impression. Very striking! :thumbsup:

h0ughy
16-05-2012, 10:32 PM
wow factor there thats for sure

Tom Davis
17-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Whoa! Now there are some colors! Nice.

-Tom

stevous67
17-05-2012, 06:13 AM
It's a very interesting area I've never really seen before until recently displayed here in IIS. This NB version is first class, well done Mike.

By the way, I think some people look too closely at images when they should stand back and enjoy.

Steve

allan gould
17-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Really interesting field and handled so well. Im jealous of your equipment and ability, Mike.
Another top shot.

strongmanmike
17-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi Ken

My approach is often similar to this, it's quite a simple approach too

http://bf-astro.com/hubbleP.htm

I do a lot of blending with my images too, ie I make several variations and then blend them in different weights until I am happy :thumbsup:

Mike

strongmanmike
17-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks Marco

I don't dissagree with your assessment and I do get where you are coming from :)

I did push the begeeseus out of the data, you're right. I wanted to show up everything..I do this on occassions at the expense of a smooth technically perfect image, more of an exercise really. Of course if you shrink it in your browser it looks much better :thumbsup:

Mike

strongmanmike
17-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Im agree, to some looking at an image is all about how perfect (what ever that is) it is.. at the expense of other revealing things that might be present, that said critique is always welcomed none the less :thumbsup:

Mike

strongmanmike
17-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for looking everyone :thumbsup:...the weather is on track for a brand new image from Agi on Friday night :cool: :prey:

Mike

Nico13
18-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info Mike much appreciated. :thumbsup:
There is a lot to get a handle on with this Astro image processing to allow you to come up with a pleasing result.

strongmanmike
20-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Just takes time and perseverance Ken, we live in a great age for imaging the heavens so stick with it and it will alllll become clear :)