PDA

View Full Version here: : Hubble palette M8 (repro) and IC2948

allan gould
13-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Been getting the other narrow band data for M8 as well as the Running Chicken nebula (IC2948) using my new filters. I repro'd the M8 as it was too washed out and I thought I could do better with it. I also got the other data for IC2948 and put them all together today. Its a different game doing this NB stuff and I think Im getting the differentiation for the different bands.
8x10 min for each filter with 5"apo with WOFF4 with QSI583wsg.
Comments welcomed

tilbrook@rbe.ne
13-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Hi Allan,

The narrow band filters bring out amazing detail, sounds like there's quite a bit involved in processing them.
It is interesing to compare the M8 RGB image I took last night to this image, the detail is there but does'nt leap out like yours.

Cheers,

Justin

multiweb
13-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Your palettes are working really well. Do you have a lot of Sii or do you push the reds harder than usual at processing time? Could you post a basic processing flow with a ball park % blend per channel? Interested to hear. You obviouly would desaturate stars on the last step I'd assume as they would turn bright purple?

allan gould
13-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Well Justin, this is really the first time iVe done narrowband imaging. Usually I do Ha and then blend with RGB to get a good detailed luminace to add to the image, but this time since I had the new filters I thought that NB all the way was in order. Usually the detail is there and you just have to bring it out

Marc I obtain the same number of subs for each filter and then use the histogram to balance up each filter's contribution. I do RGB as SII, Ha, OIII
and then a little selective colour with Photoshop. There is a tutorial for it that I can dig up for you to follow.
Here is the site http://bf-astro.com/hubbleP.htm
Allan

RobF
13-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Nice work Allan, especially for your first serious NB effort. The lagoon is my fav - love the detail in the outer curtains that NB brings out.

allan gould
13-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks for that Rob. Im just enjoying the mount guiding perfectly, the dome rotating in synch, the focuser working and the flattener working with the scope, oh and the camera imaging well. It doesnt get better than this except maybe at Astrofect. Just cant wait.

RobF
13-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Glad to hear you're getting some clear nights to enjoy after all the "engineering nights" over many months getting things tweaked....:thumbsup:

allan gould
14-05-2012, 12:05 PM
My wife calls it compulsive fiddling :thumbsup:
But it pays off in the long run as you get to know all the failings or idiosyncrasies of the equipment.

strongmanmike
14-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Ah, the wonderous world of emission line filters :thumbsup:

I like the Lagoon palette the best....can anyone else see Homer Simpsons profile there...:scared3:

Mike

allan gould
14-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Mike I knew if I put repro in the title your would have to look.
Yes, I also see Homer in the M8 shot but I'll never know why they call IC2948 the running chicken as I clearly see a golden headed duck serenely floating on a pond. So from now on I'm going to call M8 the Homer Nebula and IC2948 the Golden Duck Nebula. In fact I think all galaxies and nebula in the Southern Hemisphere should be named by us rather than the Northern Hemisphere people.

astronobob
14-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Very realistic looking these hubble pallette, lovely work, I not know pallettes as these, only Wood pallets : )
Top Images Allan :thumbsup:

allan gould
14-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks for that Bob but really only narrow band really beats the light pollution here in Brisbane.
Allan