PDA

View Full Version here: : What does it cost to save a name?

Hans Tucker
22-04-2012, 07:25 AM
$139 Million to repair an aircraft that cost approx $300 Million to buy new. Was this more of an effort to save the company name and reputation. I wonder what the dollar cut of point is that favours replacement over repair..I thought it was if the cost for repair exceeds 1/3 the replacement. Either way great work by the technicians.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/news/qantas-a380-back-in-the-air-as-good-as-new/story-fn32891l-1226334769849

Gem
22-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Hard to put prices in context. Those technicians would probably be employed in fixing aircraft either way - whether this one or another one. Aircraft cost heaps to maintain whether you are fixing problems or not.
As much as we Aussies bag them, Qantas is a great airline. Hope the repairs last.

Grant
(ex-Avionics technician on Boeing aircraft)

bloodhound31
22-04-2012, 08:19 AM
I know that when I break a power tool, if repair costs me more than half it's replacement value, I buy a new one.

OICURMT
22-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Rolls-Royce kicked in U$100m upfront in a settlement last year.

Hans Tucker
22-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Yep..should have read the article more closely. Well this one:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/qantas-a380-ready-to-fly-again/story-fn6s850w-1226335269068

DavidTrap
22-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Another article said the $139million was substantially less than the write off value of the aircraft.

DT

traveller
22-04-2012, 02:00 PM
In addition to save The Airbus name, let not also forget the value this exercise adds to the training of maintenance crew, not to mention pilots and crew.

Hans Tucker
22-04-2012, 02:37 PM
In reality it's not Airbus or QANTAS that had to be saved but Rolls-Royce..they stuffed up big time...pity..they had the reputation of producing the best aircraft engines in the world but one QA problem and their previously untarnished names has been stained.

FlashDrive
22-04-2012, 02:59 PM
WOW .... What an expensive ' Oil Line ' that turned out to be.
I'm sure they will be ' monitoring ' the new oil line and the repaired sections for some time to come.

$139Million Dollars .... the cause of 1 faulty oil line = 4 F111-C Fighter Aircraft .... mind you ... that's in 1972 Dollars.... Each F111-C cost $30 Million each back then.

Flash :hi: ex RAAF ... Aircraft Engineer. ( Aero Engines )

Stardrifter_WA
22-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Don't forget people, all technological advances have had their problems, just look at aviation in the early days. Rolls Royce may have stuffed up big time on this occasion and it has been an expensive lesson. But, I am sure, as seems to be the case with aviation, that this problem will lead to better and safer engines in the long run. The lessons learned this time will be applied forward and I don't think you can really put a price on that.

Aircraft safety has come at a great cost to human life and finances over it's history, but at least, this is one industry that learns from it's mistakes. :)

I have no problem flying Qantas, they haven't lost a paying passenger in their 92 years of operation.

wasyoungonce
22-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Most bigger Airlines (.. if not all the big ones) repair damaged Airframes that are really or should be classed as "Beyond Economic Repair".

It's done to keep their safety record of "Airframe losses" on the correct side of the ledger.....and insurance lower.

midnight
22-04-2012, 10:22 PM
If my sources are correct, writing off that A380 would have constituted Qantas' 1st loss of a jet aircraft for one of the world's oldest & safest airlines & Airbus' first loss of an A380 (statistically anyway).

Statistics have an interesting way of being intepreted with all sorts of marketting/brand and insurance impacts etc (well maybe:D)

But, that aircraft is back in the air and good to see it going back in service.

Darrin...