PDA

View Full Version here: : NGC6188 - The Dark Storm

cventer
19-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Took this one 2 nights ago.

Amazing area. So much action. Reminds me of a massive storm front or even a sandstorm approaching.

Need to get some color data for this one

Image Data: 15 x 8 min Ha Bin 1 x 1
Camera: SBIG ST2000XM with CFW8A
Mount: Paramount MX
Scope: TakahashiFSQ106 at F5
Processing: Image Processed with CCDStack 2, Photoshop CS 5.5.
Date: Taken on 17 March 2012

larger version here (http://www.dslrfocus.com/gallery/NGC6188.html)

Octane
19-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Chris,

This was the first region I shot with my FSQ. I have never been able to complete it. And, it looked pretty ordinary through the DSLR.

If this infernal weather, and workload ever ceases, this year might be my year.

Thanks for the inspiration.

H

Mighty_oz
19-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Wow got to love your processing and focusing :) Very impressive.

cventer
20-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks very much

the FSQ is hands down the best Telescope I have bought. Cant wait to see your version.

cventer
20-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks. Focusing is done with Focusmax, but processing is all me....

Ross G
20-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Amazing detail and sharpness.

Ross.

multiweb
20-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Great shot. One of my fav. :thumbsup:

gregbradley
20-03-2012, 12:13 PM
That's a ripper Chris. One of your best.

I am amazed a 2mp camera can capture that.

Greg.

Peter Ward
20-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Fantastic part of the sky. Well captured :thumbsup:

cventer
20-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks Greg. I am pleased how well the ST-2000XM still performs. I like the Pixel size of 7.4 microns and for a 7 year old camera its still sucking in some nice photons.

What I have started doing is up sampling all my images before processing using Mitchel algorithm that preserves flux. I then do deconvolution on this upscaled image and find I get much better deconvoltuon results on larger star profiles. Before displaying after final processing in Photoshop I then downsample again using Bicubic downsampling and the results is not too bad for a 2mb camera.

cventer
20-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks peter. Point your Honda at this area. I would love to see the results with STX and that scope.

strongmanmike
20-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Funny I do something quite similar Chris, which seems to work for short'ish focal lengths, I do kind of psudo multi strength decon really as having better image scale in the first place is far better but it only works ok on bright areas really

Great result by the way, lovely tonal range...this area was very good to me last year ;)

Mike

gregbradley
22-03-2012, 02:36 PM
What I have started doing is up sampling all my images before processing using Mitchel algorithm that preserves flux. I then do deconvolution on this upscaled image and find I get much better deconvoltuon results on larger star profiles. Before displaying after final processing in Photoshop I then downsample again using Bicubic downsampling and the results is not too bad for a 2mb camera.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting Chris.

What program are you using when doing this?

I haven't heard of the Mitchel algorithim before. Is this in the program or is it a plug in of some sort?

Greg.

cventer
22-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Greg

I am using CCD Stack. In Edit->Transform->Resize->SpecifyScale

Choose Mitchel as interpolation Method and tick preserve flux.

I only do this becuase my images with current camera are undersampled. Once my STF-8300 arrives with much smaller pixels I doubt I will have to do this.

Very interesting Chris.

What program are you using when doing this?

I haven't heard of the Mitchel algorithim before. Is this in the program or is it a plug in of some sort?

Greg.[/QUOTE]

Stevec35
23-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Very impressive and a quite appropriate name for the thread. Can't wait to see the colour.

Cheers

Steve

TheDecepticon
23-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Just love Ha data! :D

Finishing it in narrow or broadband ?:shrug: