PDA

View Full Version here: : DSI Moon Mosaic

Hitchhiker
10-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Here's a mosaic of the moon taken last night (9th March) with the DSI. This is a mosaic of 11 separate images (a fair bit of overlap between images). Each image was a stack of about 100 separate frames stacked in Registax. Mosaic assembled by Autostitch. Image reduced for the web in Photoshop CS.

Images taken with a 10" SCT and F3.3 Focal Reducer.

Robert_T
10-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Adam, that is an absolute pearler:thumbsup:

I hadn't thought the DSI a lunar imager, but it obviously does the job beautifully. Hard to believe it's a mosaic, no sign of seems or anything.

What a great shot... no doubt could blow this up a bit without loss of sharpness too.:)

cheers,

davidpretorius
11-03-2006, 12:38 AM
the focus is spot on!!!

well done on a great image!

Hitchhiker
11-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi Robert, yes the DSI does a pretty good job. It is pretty sensitive - I used an exposure time of 0.0014 sec on the brighter bits and 0.0020 sec on the darker mare areas. The down side of the DSI for lunar and planetary imaging is the number of frames you can capture - approximately one frame per second was the limit for these exposures. I used the DSI because I have my F3.3 Focal Reducer pretty much permanently attached. The wider field of view means not so many separate images need to be captured.

This is my first mosaic with Autostitch. I can't believe how easy it is to use! Just select the images and it does the rest.

The final mosaic is 1400x1704 pixels (before reducing for the web) - I am using this image as wallpaper at 1024x768 and I have to stop every now and again and look at it! I'm pretty happy with the final result.:)

Thanks for the comments, guys.

ving
11-03-2006, 10:21 AM
thats super dsi work there adam :)