PDA

View Full Version here: : Sun Jun 02 - Mosaic

lepton3
03-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Had a chance to do some solar imaging yesterday. There was some high level thin cloud, but it didn't degrade the imaging too much.

The following mosaic is assembled from 9 images, each of which is a stack of about 700 from an AVI of 2000 frames. The 'scope is a 150 mm SCT on Alt-Az mount, with f/5 focal reducer, Baader solar filter, and a DMK21 mono camera.

Used a spreadsheet to calculate the amount of field rotation to apply to each tile, assembled with Gimp and colour added for appearance.

Really difficult to deal with matching the brightnes of each tile, and still thinking about how to remove the visible seams without losing detail.

Anyhow, thanks for looking.

-Ivan

Paul Haese
03-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Nice effort. Lots of spots visible. I use the burn and dodge tools in PS to try and remove the seam lines. It works reasonably well but not perfectly. Peter Ward has some way fo doing it so that you don't see the seams at all. Would love to hear his explanation. Come on Peter let us know.

multiweb
03-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Paul, I don't know if you are aware of it but there is an auto-blend feature in PS from CS3 onwards that will automatically match intensity and colors on selected layers based on a reference layer so you don't have to use the dodge tool locally at all. It's under the EDIT menu once you have selected all the layers you want to blend.

Paul Haese
04-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Was not aware of that feature Marc. I will take a look. Thanks for the tip.

Derek Klepp
05-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Nice shot Ivan. I have no idea about mosaics but will have to learn so many good Solar disc shots of late.