PDA

View Full Version here: : Jupiter 2nd June

von Tom
02-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Here's an image of Jupiter with 3 of its moons this morning. Seeing was fairly poor.

Tom

Troy
02-06-2011, 09:16 PM
You were able to still pick up some good detail, well done Tom :thumbsup:

Quark
03-06-2011, 11:05 AM
A good effort Tom.

Dealing with the low alt and bright sky will always be detrimental to the final result. But the thing to remember is that Jupiter has been experiencing significant change, last apparition with the fading of the SEB and this apparition with the reformation of the SEB.

Any images of these early changes, post Solar Conjunction, are of scientific interest and contribute to the record of the unfolding changes on Jupiter.

It is really satisfying to make a knock out image of any planet when at the zenith in good seeing, however, sometimes when really interesting phenomena are occurring (like right now with Jupiter) we just have to deal with it and do the best we can.

Useful scientific observations can still be gleaned from images that are not of great aesthetic value.

Well done
Regards
Trevor

oosh
03-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Hey Tom! Do I recognise you from the BP forums at all? Very nice image mate... congratulations! :)

John Hothersall
03-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Very interesting Jupiter even when this low.

John.

von Tom
04-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Jason, I'm not sure - I may not be the Tom you are thinking of.

Trevor you make excellent points and I agree. There are times when the only way to view something is during poor conditions and I am all for pushing equipment/viewing limitations to get the most out of the opportunities that arise, especially, as you say, when there are interesting phenomena occurring.

Tom

oosh
04-06-2011, 01:24 PM
My mistake mate!