PDA

View Full Version here: : Optical repairer

Juan
16-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Is there a good honest optical repairer in Sydney that will work any any type of optical scope equipment. Any assistance appreciated.

mozzie
16-02-2011, 06:36 PM
try bintel they maybe able to help!!!!!!!!

just google bintel

Barrykgerdes
16-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Don at Bintel is a qualified optical technician, Give them a ring and tell them the problem.I am sure if it is fixable he can do it.

Barry

DavidU
16-02-2011, 07:14 PM
What's the problem Juan?

gary
16-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi Juan,

As Bary mentioned, recommend you give Don Whiteman a call at the Binocular &
Telescope Shop on (02) 9518-7255. Explain to Don what type of instrument you
have and the nature of the problem and he should be able to advise on a recommended
course of action.

Apart from a highly experienced Amateur Telescope Maker, Don is a very experienced
technician and has received training and worked at the Meade and Celestron plants
in California.

By way of example, now and then Don will fly to New Caledonia where he will stay
for several days repairing telescopes that people bring in from all over the island.
The heat and humidity of this tropical paradise takes their toll on optics
in the form of mould and corrosion, so Don's arrival is welcomed by the observing
community there.

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Mt. Kuring-Gai NSW

Juan
17-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I spoke to Bintel and they were very nice but only repair the products they sell .

Juan
17-02-2011, 11:35 AM
I bought a Russian made Pulsar N 550 Night vision scope in London.
Based on a CCD camera .
It is still under warranty . The problem is that the Objective adjustment for distance focus is all wrong and does not focus far from the scope at all. Certainly nowhere near the advertised 5 m to infinity.
It only focuses to about 40 meters and the adjustment runs out.
The Distributor's want me to send it back to the shop in London and then they send it for repair to god knows where and then the shop gets it back and sends it to me. This makes me very nervous as that is a ridiculous amount of postage and handling and fraught with potential loss or damage.
I have asked them if I can post it directly to the repairer and they send it back. A fairly simple request considering I live in Australia but they are not cooperating.
So If I can find an optical engineer or technician here that could look at it and even if they did not want to actually fix it they could advise me of what needs to be done and I will do it . I am willing to pay for the advise or repair.
That's the issue.

Juan
17-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I spoke to Bintel but he says Bintel only works on the stuff they sell.
Interesting that they will fly to New Caledonia to fix peoples optics but can't help me an Aussie . It could it be the type of scope I have ?

Barrykgerdes
17-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi
I once built a night vision scope from some ex military gear.
I have machinery for doing most work
If it is a focus problem only it should be easily resolveable.

PM me. I may be able to help If you live in the Sydney area

Barry

okiscopey
17-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Try Francis Lord:

http://www.flo.com.au/Optical_Manufacturing.htm

(Could be expensive!)

Juan
17-02-2011, 04:18 PM
PM sent

Juan
17-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies I knew I would get some help here.

bojan
17-02-2011, 04:29 PM
I contacted them (re my Canon 300mm FD lens) and it seems they don't do those things any more, see bellow reply from them:

"We no longer handle the mechanical side of Cameras or lenses anymore.
Please contact either Jack Lipco on 0413 859 123 or Graham at Lemac on 9438 4488"

Juan
17-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your reply I will keep that in mind if all else fails.
I have a good feeling about Barry and his kind offer .
he sounds like a guy that knows what he is doing.

Juan
17-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Thankyou also , I will keep those phone numbers for future reference.

Barrykgerdes
17-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Hi Juan
I have sent you a PM
I also Googled the device and had a look at a picture of it. I suspect that the control on the focus rack that sets the distance between the object lens and intensifyer has been incorrectly assembled.

The nominated focal range is 5 metres to infinity. Check the focal range on a close object. If you can focus much closer than 5 metres this will probably confirm incorrect assembly.

Barry