PDA

View Full Version here: : My photos from Snake Valley

niko
12-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Well, here they are! After a few software and equipment issues over the weekend, that got sorted out by the generous folks around me, I got up and running using auto-guiding for the first time.

That meant I was all set to dodge the clouds, slew madly around the sky and do what probably all first-timers do - try and capture everything all at once! When I calmed down I had hoped to spend my time on Tarantula because I love the green that my unmodded DSlr gives me but it seemed the clouds were conspiring against that so I settled for some concentrated work on Orion.

My pix are taken through a Vixen ED80 using an unmodded Canon 350D. I had a QHY5 set up through a borrowed finderscope for guiding. Unfortunately it seems the usb cables were too close to the power so all the RAW files are very noisy so what you see here are jpegs.

The Orion photo is a stack of about 6 x 180sec and 6 x 300 sec exposures, processed in Photoshop with great thans to John G for his help there. I realise the core is pretty maxed out but I'm really happy (and proud) of it.

The horsehead was a single exposure - the horsehead is really not there but still... Tarantula is a stack of several 300sec exposures and a little processing. The Pelaides much the same.

Thanks to all that have helped me get to this point - your generosity and enthusiasm is infectious.

All comments welcome as we never stop learning.

Thanks for looking

Niko

multiweb
12-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Nice set of shots. All sharp and tidy. Very well done indeed. :thumbsup:

Hagar
12-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Nice collection Nick, We all start somewhere and with your guiding issues etc. I think you did very well.

ballaratdragons
12-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Geez Nick, they are great mate! I wish I did as good on my first go at it.

You're well on your way :) :thumbsup:

desler
13-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Sensational Nick!

Really great start to an imposing digital future! I bet the Christmas cards are going to be something special.

Darren

mill
13-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Mr impatient :rofl:
Nice set of first pics :thumbsup:
Next set of pics will be framed more to the left so you can cut the amplifier glow off :D ??
Guiding looks good too :)
Well done mate :thumbsup:

niko
13-11-2010, 06:36 PM
thanks guys

couldn't have done it without you!

niko

Paul Haese
13-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Great first attempts. Far better than anything I first got. Work on getting your capture sorted and all the rest will come with practice.

danielsun
13-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Hey Niko, that's a great start mate! well done!:thumbsup:

Cheers Daniel.

Jen
14-11-2010, 12:42 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: well done Niko :thumbsup::thumbsup: you were a very well behaved student i think you passed with flying colors heheh :lol: The determination & dedication you had all night was well worth it good on ya buddy :D

PS do i get a christmas card this year hehehehe :rofl:

niko
14-11-2010, 11:42 AM
thanks everyone

Jen, will be dropping prints of the orion shot from a plane just before Chrsitmas - my very own ticker tape parade. Perhaps one will float up your way
;)

niko

Jen
14-11-2010, 04:28 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Cool i will PM you my address :P

atalas
17-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Hey niko,these are great first shots! 100 times better than my first efforts so congrats and remember"what you put in to something is what you get out of It" well done.