PDA

View Full Version here: : Visit of Australia

CyMaN
09-01-2006, 02:51 AM
Hello,

I am new on forum.
I come from Slovenia (Europe) and I visit Secondary school. I am going to visit Australia with my parents in the February and March this year. I am very interested in astronomy and I know that nights in Australia are very dark ouside cities so I decided to spend night or two under really dark night sky.
I found Grove Creek Observatory on the internet and I asked if there is any possibillity to stay there only one night (in their program you can stay at least 2 nights), but they rejected me very unkindly. So I decided to take my binocular and go somewhere, where is a good place to observe. I am asking you to give me an advice, "where to go". We will stay in Sydney.

Thanks for answers!
Primoz C.

davidpretorius
09-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Welcome, Primoz.

There are many Sydney people who will be able to direct you to some great viewing areas.

I am in Tasmania, a little island south of the mainland. If you are coming to Tasmania, please, you are more than welcome to join our little group of astronomers for viewing. We have a lovely southern hemisphere objects and would love the chance to share it with you.

Dave P

ving
09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
If you are lucky you might be in time for the next Ice In Space Central Coast meet :)
thats a fairly dark skies... failing that there a few few observatories around... you could go out tothe magellan obs near goulborn (i think it is)... thats a fair hike tho... there are probably closer ones :)

space lover
09-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Like Ving said, you could go to the Ice In Space Astro camp, its very fun and I bet lots of people from this forum are going :)

Striker
09-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Welcome Primoz,

Say hello on the forum when you get here...I'm sure there is a few of us that can organise something with you.

Watch out for the Killer Kangaroos & Platypus....they are deadily
Bring repellent for snakes, crocodiles, Spider, and Sharks.

You will aslo need a Aboriginal guide to get you around.

Enjoy your stay.....lol

davidpretorius
09-01-2006, 02:04 PM
promoz???

ving
09-01-2006, 02:06 PM
EDIT EDIT EDIT...

its the guys name davo :) EDIT EDIT EDIT...
minus the spelling error.... maybe i should just delete this post. :rolleyes:

davidpretorius
09-01-2006, 02:08 PM
do they talk funnier as you go further north than nsw.

i notice they always finish their sentences with "eh"

anyway he is the spam controller!!!!!

davidpretorius
09-01-2006, 02:10 PM
oh i knew that, i was just having a dig at striker, seeings every 2nd word i typpe is wrong!!!

Striker
09-01-2006, 02:54 PM
WE just decided that Promoz sounds better so Primoz should change his name to cater for us...hehehe

Dig accepted...haha I changed it...

davidpretorius
09-01-2006, 03:19 PM
thats all right.

i think we should all change other peoples names

stroker
devo
aceman
vong
highy
asipoof
ken
starkers
mycropistight

Stu
09-01-2006, 09:58 PM
davidprehistoric :rofl:

We had better stop now because Aussie humor is not often translatable into other languages. Lets start a new thread!!! :nerd:

Welcome Primos!:hi: Sorry the guys at the observatory were not very nice to you. You will find plenty of nice people at an Ice In Space veiwing night though.

Yeh, watch those Kangaroos that have big claws like veloceraptors. If you see one just stand really still, they can't see you then. They hop really fast too, but we just run them over with our cars. Then the big truck picks up all the dead kangaroos each morning on the road between melbourne and sydney (true! - the last bit was anyway).

cheers mate. :)

RAJAH235
09-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Primoz C, Hi, :hi: Please don't take too much notice of all the riff raff. (no offence kids). :P
When you arrive in oz, contact us here again & I'm sure someone will be able to assist you. :D L.

davidpretorius
09-01-2006, 10:23 PM
You will have fun whatever state of australia you visit. It is the friendliest country in the world.

Our humour is unique and you will laugh with us

RAJAH235
09-01-2006, 11:56 PM
:thumbsup: Davo. :D L.

CyMaN
10-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Hello guys,

you are very quick..... and funny!

I will stay in Sydney from 26 February to 3 March. I am looking forward to experience summer again, because is it -15C outside tonight.:cold:
About Promoz: I think that is a good idea!:lol:

CS!

davidpretorius
10-01-2006, 07:40 AM
hey even down here in tasmania, we have 25 degree days!!

Promoz, by the time we finish with your name, you will not be able to recognise it.

Catch you in a few months Prosac

Cheer

Diva Pretorius

seeker372011
10-01-2006, 09:04 AM
contact us here and we can probably arrange something-may be even able to give you a lift to somewhere close by with reasobaly dark skies

CyMaN
01-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Hi!

I tried several times to establish communication with The Magellan Observatory but they didn't reply to my e-mails. I really don't know if there are problems with their email or they don't want to make any contacts. I am still interested in visit an observatory but everything goes wrong in my intention. I please you to give me some links for observatories in New South Wales where it is possible to use an eqipment that observatory has and not just looking or have a night guide.

Best Regards,
Primoz (Promoz if you want :nerd: ) Cigler

davidpretorius
01-02-2006, 08:17 AM
anyone have some contacts or can make a phone call???

Let me know if you are making a trip further south to the state of Tasmania, and I will catch up you and organise a local get together.

dave p

astronut
01-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Dave, I've sent him a private email. I'm the vp of the Macarthur Astronomical Society, south west of Sydney. I've invited him out to our club nights in March and resent Magellan Observatory's email address. Cheers, John :)

davidpretorius
01-02-2006, 11:37 AM
awesome John,

I was fearing that our overseas friend was getting nowhere, well done!!!

RAJAH235
01-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Well done John. Was waiting till he landed & made contact again.. :D L.

ausastronomer
01-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Zane Hammond who owns and runs Magellan Observatory is a forum member. I am not sure what his handle is but Louie (Atalas) will know it. Send Louie a PM and ask him.

CS-John B

astronut
01-02-2006, 07:22 PM
astroboy:nerd:

CyMaN
13-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Hi!

It's almost one year since I have started this thread. There was very nice in Australia, I'd stay there for ever.
I would like to apologize to Grove Creek Observatory that I say that they rejected me unkindly. In fact they offered me several possible ways to stay at them but I couldn't so I way maybe too rude. Sory again!

CS! Primoz