PDA

View Full Version here: : Eagle Claw from 20 inch RCOS

batema
12-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Hi,

What an amazing night "again" and thought I would share the results of my first ever experience using this scope but this time with the Eagle Claw Nebula

As I said before with Eta Carina posted yesterday its not mine but we have made friends with a colleague who has one and spent the early evening doing some remote telescope work.
The image is 5 x 2.5 Minute shots through a Hydrogen Alpha 4-5nM filter. It is not guided but I believe is on a paramount mount. No darks or anything and I think the camera is a SBIG 11000 mono. What an amazing piece of technology. The first image is about 50kb so you can see the field of view and the second about 180kb.

If you can offer advice on focus or anything that can help with this scope feel free.

Mark

RobF
12-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Wonderful Mark - will be keen to see what comes of this alliance.

It needs something to deal with the green tinge though...........in the area around my cheeks....:D

Bassnut
12-06-2010, 05:46 PM
mmm, 2.5mins is not good for a 4nm Ha filter, even on a 20".

The result for just 5 off 2.5 min is amazing, but a single 12 min pic would have been better. If readout noise is dominent, stacking doesnt reduce it.

If you can, do 15-20min subs, even just a few, then you will see some real magic.

bluescope
12-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I have to agree with Fred ... the exposures need to be longer to get rid of the noise ... especially at 4-5nm bandwidth.
Ofcourse I realize that this isn't your setup so you can't really do much about the gear just the exposure times. It certainly gives an up close and personal fov.

:thumbsup:

RobF
12-06-2010, 10:10 PM
You realise too Mark you may as well be shooting up on pure cocaine. How are you ever going to break an addiction from 20 inches of RC?!!

Hagar
12-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice images from a big scope but better results should be possible but longer exposures will be required.
Nice detail all the same.