PDA

View Full Version here: : what is your definition of sport?

starlooker
12-12-2009, 01:02 PM
With all this talk about Tiger Woods, as a carryover, I did a reassessment of what I considered to be sport.

My prior definition was that it is a spectator activity where the person is under physical exertion for extended periods(for the duration of the activity). Basically anything that causes the person to sweat for extended periods. So I considered triathalons, tennis, football, basketball, and swimming to be sports, just to name a few.

But now my definition of a sport is a spectator activity that requires the person to be under pressure, whether physical OR mental, for extended periods. So now I consider chess to be a sport, whereas I didn't before.

I don't think golf is a sport. Dressing up in designer clothes, crisply ironed, wearing expensive jewellery(Rolex), having a caddy to carry the gear and cover you with an umbrella when it rains, riding around in a golf buggy, making phone calls, watching TV, or doing business between rounds.

By my new definition, golf is not a sport, it's a sedate game. There is no physical or mental exertion for extended periods. Sorry to disappoint the golfers in here who think they are supreme athletes. :lol:

What is your definition of sport?

PS - by my definition, if sitting an exam is a spectator activity, it would be a sport. Just kidding. ;)

matt
12-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Well....golf is both a physical and mental exercise performed under pressure...which is watched by sometimes massive crowds either at the course or on TV....so by your definition it qualifies as a sport.

wavelandscott
12-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Iron Chef! Now that is a sport...

jjjnettie
12-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Watching customers trying to exit our store via the fixed glass panels.
Great sport!!

jjjnettie
12-12-2009, 01:43 PM
LOL watching customers try to sign their eftpos receipts with a pen tethered with really short lengths of elastic. ??
Priceless.

The pens just go pftt out of their hands. Over and over again. It's all good sport until someone takes an eye out. LOL

starlooker
12-12-2009, 02:07 PM
By my definition, Iron Chef is definitely a sport. And a team one too!

DJDD
12-12-2009, 02:33 PM
I have two definitions:

what sport is:
- it has to have some relationship with our primitive past where we needed to throw something, hit something or run away from something to survive

what sport isn't:
- If you don't raise a sweat then it is not a sport.

So golf may just qualify because, although you don't raise a sweat (unless you play in Summer), you do hit something.

motor sport, e.g. F1, is NOT a sport, even though the drivers are fit- it is engineering... ;)

mithrandir
12-12-2009, 03:13 PM
There is "sport" golf played as competition, "business" golf where you suck up to clients, and "leisure" golf to see if you are still legally sober when you reach the 19th hole, not having destroyed your buggy (some courses demand you use one).

Seeing how far you can throw clubs is part of the game.

matt
12-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm refering more to golf played at the pro level...or at very high level, competitively.

Octane
12-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Just to bring this section of the forum back to astronomy: astrophotography is a sport. The best sport.

Regards,
Humayun

Starkler
12-12-2009, 05:29 PM
How about flyfishing for trout? In some forms it is visually spotting and hunting individual fish. Knowledge and skill is required to spot, stalk, outwit and successfully capture the quarry, but physical exertion is only moderate.
I say its a sport.

Although assisted by machinery, the element of human skill and endurance is undeniable, in contrast to equestrian events, which appear to be simply a matter of who can afford the best horse ;)

Matt Wastell
12-12-2009, 06:45 PM
I mentioned this in a 'Tiger' post - there are only two real sports - hunting and fishing - the rest are just games.

AstralTraveller
12-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't what is sport but I know some things that aren't. Firstly, anything involving animals - they weren't asked whether they wanted to participate. Secondly, an activity whereby you are allowed to assault your opponent by striking them in the head.

Waxing_Gibbous
12-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Profligate nonsense man!:screwy::)
You try driving one of those things. Bet you don't make it one lap of Albert Park. The steering is like a Mack truck without the power assist!
Just the acceleration is enough to finish most people.
Now do that for approximately 10 hrs over 2 days at ridiculous speeds where mental acuity is just as important as physical strength.
I've only raced Formula Ford and Minis. I used to lose 1/2 stone over a weekend.
Mind you, I just used to lose as well!;)

marki
12-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Sport has many meanings e.g. to amuse oneself, to sport a growth, to run around a field playing a game etc. But for me sport must involve a motor of some sort doing all the work or else it's just torture :P:D

Mark

Starman73
12-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

A sport is something that makes your heart beat fast. You only have so many times your heart beats, so why waste it on sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Outbackmanyep
12-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Who says that you have to raise a sweat for something to be called a sport?
Physical exertion is part of sport.......

I always have people tell me that tenpin bowling is not a sport, i have played heaps, just because MOST people only do it socially and not competitively doesn't mean that bowling isn't a sport!

What would people say to me if i went round telling them that darts isn't a sport?

On the other hand if you only use physical exertion as a definitive of something "sport-like", is POKER a sport??? Is CHESS a sport???

Darth Wader
12-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Provided the hunter eats his kill, I'd agree with you.

DJDD
12-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Outbackmanyep: do you throw anything in darts or bowling? so, they ARE sports. :thumbsup:

Waxing_Gibbous: just because it is hard work, or whether or not I can do it, does not make motorsport a sport... now, if they start throwing spears at passing wildlife whilst driving then perhaps motorsport can be counted a sport... :)

Starkler: Fly fishing...? in fly fishing you are throwing something AND you are hunting... so it is definitely a sport... :thumbsup:

mithrandir: golf just qualifies as long as the players start throwing their clubs at passing wildebeast... :D

so, even though i didn't say that I had thought about my definitions very much they seem to hang together so far...

Jen
13-12-2009, 12:21 PM
:rolleyes: when i hear the word sport on the TV = change the channel :lol:

Outbackmanyep
13-12-2009, 12:24 PM
In bowling you are "bowling" the ball, not throwing, depending on your style i suppose! lol.......in darts you throw something but do you work up a sweat??

In my opinion anything that has a competitive nature is a sport!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Starkler
13-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Trolling on a web forum?
Some see that as "sport" :lol:

Baron von Richthofen
13-12-2009, 03:27 PM
A spectator spectacle like throwing Christians to the lions, gladiators fighting to the death, chariot races, ice hockey:wink2:

Spanrz
13-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Played the "sport" Lawn Bowls for a number of years. Even though a lot of people still classify it as an oldies game, a lot of young people play it.
It is an extremely competitive game, and it finishes in the bar... :cheers:........:D
Many people under the age of 30 are in the higher end of the game. Namely the Australian Squad.

The games to watch are Div 1 or Premier league.

The most amazing thing in this sport, is the comeback. You can be so far way down, that a lot of people give up.
Then the loudness comes into it, yelling, screaming, jumping, trying to jeer up the team, then it's like Geelong or Essendon (AFL) on a huge momentus run, it can turn on a dime and it's game on.
Many games won in the last few minutes are on a "moral high" after team mates are all jeered up.

Outbackmanyep
14-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi Sparnz,
I recently attended a Charity Bowls day in Walcha recently, its a great feeling when a) i can't do lawn bowls properly and b) i CAN do Tenpin properly.
So when the oldies get their bowls closer than ours i ruined their efforts with a tenpin "drive" which won my team a few points, but not enough to take 'em down!
It was a fun day and yeah it did end up at the bar!

Terry B
15-12-2009, 09:56 AM
According to WC Fields (I Think)there are only 3 sports.
Motor racing, mountain climbing and bull fighting.
All other pastimes are just games.

When this was written, all 3 of these pursuits put the competitors life at serious risk. Maybe that is what is needed to turn a game into a sport.

Is tiger risking his life on the golf course?
Maybe this only applies at his home.;);)

Baddad
15-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi jjj, :)
That has got to be funny at times. Surely you must bite your tongue to hide any laughter?

Hi All, :)

You people have made some interesting comments. ;)I'm playing coward and not really entering the discussion,:D but I will add some info I have come across:

I believe that games and sport are different. :D
The sport of kings is accepted to be horse racing.
The game of kings is chess.

Lawn bowls, which I used to play, has the highest ratio of fatalities in comparison to other sports. This I cannot qualify but I've heard the statement from different scources.:shrug:

Cheers Marty

jjjnettie
15-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Ice Hockey, now that takes me back.
Used to go to every game at the Toombul Ice Skating Rink. Some of the boys at school used to play.
I used to run the score board.
Very messy sport. Most injuries were from the blades. They're so sharp. The blood would stain the ice for weeks.

Baron von Richthofen
15-12-2009, 11:07 AM
I used to go there to watch it, love ice hockey very fast

Rainingstar
15-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Ditto Jen

Vartigy
15-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Pro-gaming.
Hugely competetive.

Baron von Richthofen
15-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I would love to see a pro ice hockey teem game, top of the league US or Canada

michaellxv
15-12-2009, 11:41 PM
It's very hard to define concisely. What comes to mind is sport is any physical pursuite which requires skill in one or more areas and is played within a set of rules.

But, once you start getting paid and it is your main source of income then I would start to classify it as work not sport.

DJDD
16-12-2009, 07:39 AM
and to expand on this: what is the definition of an Olympic sport?
to expand on my definition earlier- an Olympic sport should have some heritage of battle.

so running, jumping, throwing, canoeing/kayaking would be olympic sports. but tennis? no...
:D