PDA

View Full Version here: : Was anyone fooled by Tiger Woods' clean image?

stephenb
11-12-2009, 04:13 PM
First let me say that the man has done nothing illegal, and what's his personal life should remain so. So I am not here to discuss his morals.

Secondly, I am not a golfer. The game doesn't really interest me. I can stare through a golf story on the news as if it doesn't exist. But when Tiger Woods received so much media attention during his appearance last month in Melbourne, I started to gain some admiration for him and thought "This bloke is a rare breed. A true professional who conducts himself impeccably" and "what a valued role model for young people".

Not many sports people pass through the world leaving an unblemished record out of their sporting areas, but I thought that Tiger was an exception.

I guess I was fleeced like most of the world! Having said that, it appears that there were a lot of people who know of his behavior and it was all kept underwraps.

Does someone like Tiger have an obligation to his followers?

Are you a golfer? What are your opinions now on Tiger Woods?

iceman
11-12-2009, 04:18 PM
The last thread about this was deleted because of some very inappropriate comments.

I was almost going to delete this straight away but will give it a chance to see if people can self-moderate.

jjjnettie
11-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Billy Joel wrote a song all about this didn't he??

"The Stranger"

Well we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out and
Show ourselves
When everyone has gone
Some are satin some are steel
Some are silk and some are leather
They're the faces of the stranger
But we love to try them on

Well we all fall in love
But we disregard the danger
Though we share so many secrets
There are some we never tell
Why were you so surprised
That you never saw the stranger
Did you ever let your lover see
The stranger in yourself?

jjjnettie
11-12-2009, 04:20 PM
I'll behave myself boss. :lol:

multiweb
11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
He's an exceptional golfer and will go down in history as one of a kind. He got caught with his pants down. So what? Millions of other blokes did too. Life goes on. :lol:

stephenb
11-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I have been away, Mike, and had no knowledge of any previous thread.

Zaps
11-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Who cares about Tiger Woods? :rolleyes:

matt
11-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I'll say this:

We've all done things we're not proud of. I don't think anyone asks to be held up as a model of humanity or some kind of paragon of 'niceness' or perfection.

There is no doubt Tiger has made a shocking mistake/s. However, I'm still very impressed and respectful of him as a sportsman and there are still many aspects of his persona which appear very likeable.

As a member of the media, I'm often torn by my thoughts and emotions about what to write/say about people who have such a public falling from grace. I'm aware of the juicy, salacious nature of the story which presents itself and how much interest there is from the general public in such a story, which drives my instinct to publish/broadcast it, but as a person I'm also sympathetic to the needs of his family and the man himself to privacy. I'm also only too aware of my own failings.

As a person, it's clear he has 'issues' and he will need to work through those. But I find myself asking 'who are we to judge him'?, particularly when the full story is yet to emerge.

He's so successful, and has been held up as such as 'great guy' it's really just to easy too go to town on him now that he has stumbled. He's such an easy target, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. But it's tough because there are many things about Tiger Woods to like. And at times like these, the challenge is to try and keep the whole man in focus...rather than just the publically vilified cheater.

To be honest, I never really questioned the clean image he had. Now that it's been called into question, it's sort of a relief, actually. After all, who could be so 'perfect'?:lol:

He's probably more critical of himself right now than we will ever be. His sense of dignity and pride would be well and truly in the crapper.

I say let him work himself out and see if he can hold his family together....and then he can turn to us to ask for our understanding and forgiveness...if it's important to him.

But I won't be too upset if a full public apology is not forthcoming. There are too many of those anyway these days from insincere celebrities looking for a quick let off the hook.

Nor does he owe me one.

Zaps
11-12-2009, 04:47 PM
It's amazing how much time and thought people are willing to devote to "celebrity" worship. :rolleyes: :screwy:

mick pinner
11-12-2009, 04:48 PM
l agree with Marc, heaps of blokes do it, and women too. appreciate him for the greatest golfer who ever played, his personal life affects him not us. most people have something they don't want the rest of the world to know about so l for one will not judge him one way or another.

multiweb
11-12-2009, 04:52 PM
This is part of the package. This is why they make and are worth so much money. Brand and marketing. Double edge sword though. They're scrutinised, put on a pedestal, expected to be role models and if they are less than perfect then they're trashed publicly. It's a tough gig to live up to.

stephenb
11-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Yes, Marc, I agree. He is certainly not alone here. I cite AFL player Gary Ablett as a local example from a few years ago. Matthew Johns perhaps? As I originally stated, I don't care much for golf or sporting elite in general.

Thanks Zaps for your valued input.

Matt you pose some interesting points, from a media perspective. I also liken these events to say, JFK and his "exploits" and womanising conduct whilst in office (which is well documented), yet most of the American people adored him, albeit not aware of his behaviour at the time. There is a fine line between respecting someone professionally, and also being aware of their moral responsibilities, I guess.

TrevorW
11-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Great golfer but I've never been one too hero worship nor do I believe any youngster should idolise them or any other person who acheives greatness they should aspire too live by their own moral code judged by the conduct of their parents and peers

he's good at what he doe's and gets paid for it

end of story !!!

Omaroo
11-12-2009, 04:58 PM
I like golf. I used to play (at one mad stage) 72 holes a weekend.

I like watching the top guys play, and Tiger is one of them. I'll watch him play golf any day. I couldn't care what he's done off the course - it isn't any of my business. As far as him being a role model - well... maybe he's not going to be that any more for lots of people. There'll be others.

Zaps
11-12-2009, 05:05 PM
It's the idiocy of people with no lives.

Rhino1980
11-12-2009, 05:58 PM
This is what happens when we idolise the people we do. Sports stars, movie stars and so on. I will idolise the people who cure cancer, conquer fusion, moderate all religions (or eradicate them, that'd be better IMO LOL no offence meant).

In the end, he's just a man, he's stuffed up and the only people who should judge him are his wife and himself, and if he believes in a god, then his god.

Anyone can mistake a mistake, we are human after all. What he will work out further down the road is not how much he's let those around him down, but how much he's let himself down. How he will never feel quiet whole again no matter how much he changes or improves himself. That will be what will hurt him the most. I believe any man can change and I wish him the best as he attempts to repair his life.

starlooker
11-12-2009, 07:02 PM
He's got about 10 years of golf left in him, plus a few decades of designing courses.

This is just a bump in the road. I think all will be forgotten in 9 - 12 months.

jjjnettie
11-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Unless of course something else pops up in 9 months time. LOLOL

sjastro
11-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Should be 3 months for tigers.

Kal
11-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Role models belong in the house. If a parent is a good role model to their children then the children should not need to associate a celebrity as their role model.

Bassnut
11-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Much has been made of his relationship with his sponsors, who are droping off like flies. He plays good golf, thats one thing, but he enters sponsorships with the full knowledge that they require a whole image thing that he must adhear to, to make the kind of money that he expects. If he doesnt care about the money, and just wants to play golf, then great, most entertaining, his personal grief is his business. If he soon winds up broke and bitter, then hes an idiot.

GeoffW1
11-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Edit: too silly, like Tiger was.

seanliddelow
11-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I believe that people should just leave him alone because hes a normal person with normal issues. Come on people, no one is perfect. Half the stuff they say about him is lies and the people who lie just want to get money off his story. I do acknowledge however that he should be a role-model especially to his younger fans.

That my 2 cent worth:thumbsup:

gts055
11-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Yes i was fooled, my impression of him being a "nice guy" coming from concocted documentaries of his childhood and golf and developing career as a pro. He can play golf, and the media and sponsors have contributed to his popularity and wealth, i really feel sorry for the children and wives of types like Tiger Woods and Shane Warne. They use the media to their advantage when it suits, and seem to have little regard for the responsibilities of having a family. Mark

matt
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Not likely....

He'll still win plenty of prize-money and attract huge appearance fees.

He'll do OK....even if most of his sponsors desert him...which they probably won't.

Once it all blows over there'll be plenty clamouring to fill any gaps in his schedule.

Matt Wastell
11-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Unfortunately the world's media treat people with wonderful 'game skills' as the moral fibre of society (hunting and fishing are the true sports, the rest are games).
Sponser who pay $ to these individuals are also to blame. I find it fascinating that they will sponser someone because they hit a good golf ball but run away when that person is found not to be perfect.
I personally do not care what anyone does in their private life (the way it should be kept) as long as it does not physically harm others.
Tiger is a great golfer, the best ever? and that will not change. I only know him as a golfer and that's all I care to know about him.
Don Bradman was the best cricketer ever - I would not care if he was a crack smoking dress wearing worm eating bogun.
Lets be honest, Tiger should never have married and if he didn't, he would be a legend (ha!).
Let's leave him alone - it's not our business and it should never be.

Omaroo
11-12-2009, 08:31 PM
As they say Matt - "any publicity is good publicity". I suspect that this is true - and even now, in notoriety, he'll be well sought-after.

PeterM
11-12-2009, 08:33 PM
So who is going to throw the first stone then.

PeterM.

Bassnut
11-12-2009, 08:40 PM
The contract says "thy will be perfect", if he aint, then dont offer/accept the sponsorship :P. I dont blame the sponsors one bit, its his choice, be perfect or your gone, he knows that, of course he does.

Omaroo
11-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Peasants: We have found a golfer! (A golfer! a golfer!)
Burn him burn him!

Peasant 1: We have found a golfer, may we burn him?
(cheers)
Vladimir: How do you known he is a golfer?
P2: He looks like one!
V: Bring him forward
(advance)
Golfer: I'm not a golfer! I'm not a golfer!
V: ehh... but you are dressed like one.
G: They dressed me up like this!
All: naah no we didn't... no.
G: And this isn't my nose, it's a false one.
(V lifts up carrot)
V: Well?
P1: Well we did do the nose
V: The nose?
P1: ...And the hat, but he is a golfer!
(all: yeah, burn him burn him!)
V: Did you dress him up like this?
P1: No! (no no... no) Yes. (yes yeah) a bit (a bit bit a bit) But he has got a wart!
(P3 points at wart)
V: What makes you think he is a golfer?
P2: Well, he turned me into a newt!
V: A newt?!
(P2 pause & look around)
P2: I got better.
(pause)
P3: Burn him anyway! (burn him burn him burn!)
(king walks in)
V: There are ways of telling whether he is a golfer.
P1: Are there? Well then tell us! (tell us)
V: Tell me... what do you do with golfers?
P3: Burn'em! Burn them up! (burn burn burn)
V: What do you burn apart from golfers?
P1: More golfers! (P2 nudge P1)
(pause)
P3: Wood!
V: So, why do golfers burn?
(long pause)
P2: Cuz they're made of... wood?
V: Gooood.
(crowd congratulates P2)
V: So, how do we tell if he is made of wood?
P1: Build a bridge out of him!
V: Ahh, but can you not also make bridges out of stone?
P1: Oh yeah...
V: Does wood sink in water?
P1: No
P3: No. It floats!
P1: Let's throw him into the bog! (yeah yeah ya!)
V: What also floats in water?
P1: Bread
P3: Apples
P2: Very small rocks
(V looks annoyed)
P1: Cider
P3: Grape gravy
P1: Cherries
P3: Mud
King: A Duck!
(all look and stare at king)
V: Exactly! So, logically...
P1(thinking): If he weighs the same as a duck... he's made of wood!
V: And therefore,
(pause & think)
P3: A golfer! (P1: a golfer)(P2: a golfer)(all: a golfer!)
V: We shall use my largest scales...

matt
11-12-2009, 08:47 PM
True, mate. It's a cynical world!;)

hotspur
11-12-2009, 09:03 PM
MMM.this is interesting.Kals comment re role models is spot on,and JJJs too.(i like your taste in music jjj)

the way the post was well worded too,when we look at whats happined,its not like it has'nt happined before,eg Shane Warn.

But these people are the ultimate in their fields of endevour,we all have our faults and vices,and these people are no different,except society has an expectation of them in there field of endevour,society expects to
see them to preform to the high stands.

When the night falls and the crowd leaves,they need that release,thats
whatever feels right for them,some do different things-there is alot
worse than affairs-drugs,alchol abuse etc.

But the most 'head scratching thing' for me with all that money,you

think the guy would be able to afford a cell phone with a delete button!

Personally i would'nt judge the guy on whats happined,i am not into

golf,(can't stand it)but golf courses a very good birding sites.

cheers Chris

leon
11-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Na, end of story, once a cheater always a cheater, why do some of you defend him, he had a partner, children, heaps of money and is still a scum bag

Leon

matt
11-12-2009, 09:59 PM
You mistake forgiveness and tolerance for defending him, Leon.

No-one's said what he did was right. But I think it's pretty harsh to condemn a man forever for one bad phase of his life where his moral compass went haywire and you'd have to really know someone before you label them a 'scumbag'.

I don't believe people should be written off like that. You remove the possibility of reform and redemption.

Omaroo
11-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Geez you're a tough audience! :lol:

Rob_K
11-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Personally I think most people are missing the point here. Sure, no-one is perfect and everyone has their flaws, but TW is not everyone. He’s not one of the highest money earners in the world because he hits a strange little white ball around the lawn with a metal stick better than anyone else. He’s there because of the strange cult of sporting celebrity that puts an economic value on him hitting a strange little white ball around the lawn with a metal stick.

TW the wealthy celebrity sportsman is the creation and therefore property of every punter who’s ever paid to go to the golf course to see him or the game he represents or ever turned on the telly to watch a round or two; every punter who’s ever bought merchandise he endorses, or ever bought a magazine or newspaper with an article about him. As a culture, we pay him and we decide the price. And in TW’s case, the price has included his clean image and impeccable private life, all part of the package. If you’re wondering about ‘talent’ without the package, think John Daly! :P

Presumably because he didn’t understand this contract with the public (that we own him and his behaviour), he undertook risky behaviour (in all fairness yet to be proven) and broke the contract. He cheated, not just on his wife & family but on us, the public. Outrageous! :lol: It’s not unusual - many other celebrities believe that some god-given talent actually gives them a right to the money they are paid.

Anyway, having broken the contract he is now being savaged by the culture (middle America principally) that created him as they extract their price. Sad really, but that’s how the whole bizarre celebrity thing works. In this mad world, maybe a class action against him by everyone who’s ever contributed a cent to his coffers would be successful! Ahh, only in the States perhaps! :D

But I’m sure it will all blow over – after all, Warnie got through OK! But then again, we always knew Warnie was a bit of a lad! ;)

Cheers -

jjjnettie
11-12-2009, 10:07 PM
:p

leon
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Matt, crap, if you do that sort of thing to the partner you have promised to be with forever you deserve all you get.

You can't stuff up and be expected to be forgiven because you were caught with your pants down.

It is always made out to be a mistake, when they are caught, and if not caught, it continues, look at The idiot Carry, and heaps of high profile people, (Ohh I'm sorry I made a mistake) what a load of tripe:mad2:

Leon :thumbsup:

matt
11-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Leon....crap right back at ya.

I'm not defending him. Read my posts more closely. I've clearly stated that he's done the wrong thing and made some very bad decisions.

I'm just reluctant to play high and mighty and judge someone when none of us is immune from making blunders.

Whether you consider your blunders to be of greater or lesser magnitude....I'll leave that to your own sense of moral estimation.

I'm simply saying it's too easy to be critical and condemn a man, while he may still have many admirable and redeeming features.

Ultimately, it's up to his wife and those close to him to judge him. It's up to him to decide where his life goes to from here.

Matt Wastell
11-12-2009, 10:50 PM
TW's actions have in no way impacted us - if they have we have been sucked in to knowing him and his beliefs - if the guy down the road did the same thing we would say what an idiot - that is about all we can say about TW.

matt
11-12-2009, 10:58 PM
That's about the size of it, Matt.

dugnsuz
11-12-2009, 11:29 PM
"Was anyone fooled by Tiger Woods' clean image?"
Yes! I thought he was a very nice young man who would never succumb to the temptations of the flesh and/or other vices!
:rolleyes:

GrahamL
12-12-2009, 07:50 AM
His wife and family deserved better , and on that alone I'll judge him as
a disshonest cheat just like the guy I used to work with, who incidently
despite getiing caught out and divorced , still hasn't changed .

On a lighter note ..
differance between santa and TW ?.. santa stopped at 3 Ho's.

seanliddelow
12-12-2009, 10:15 AM
:rofl: I heard that joke yesterday

Robh
12-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Apart from his golf, my previous impressions of Tiger Woods was that he was a decent, family man.
His overall pay (winnings and endorsements) depends not only on his golf skills but the image he has projected. Society has given him his wealth and now will make certain judgements about his behaviour. The outcome will probably not reflect the core values of our society but will be determined by his considered future earning's potential.

Regards, Rob.

matt
13-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Well...the fallout is already happening.

A number of big sponsors, including Gillette, have 'reviewed' their relationship with Tiger and decided to dump him.

Gillette's a big sponsor!

He's announced an 'indefinite' break from the sport.

I hope he sorts himself out...for the sake of his family and himself.

supernova1965
13-12-2009, 07:13 PM
I often wonder how anyone would look if exposed to the light of the media circus let's face it we all have skeletons in the closet maybe we all should think about how we would feel in any famous persons position before we buy into this circus.:D

AndrewJ
13-12-2009, 10:20 PM
One big difference.
In conjuction with his amazing golfing talent
he has expertly used the media and sponsors to get where he is.
Everyone these days knows that that's a sword that can cut both ways when the "magic pudding" stops producing money.

Andrew

Robbie
14-12-2009, 02:59 PM
My Granny said Tiger is a lazy no hoper and a bad husband because all he does is play golf all day. your grandad was like that until I put a stop to it.

she is getting very old poor thing

space oddity
14-12-2009, 04:10 PM
In days of old, really talented/rich/powerful men had lots of wives/concubunes/mistresses so their superior DNA could be spread around the human race more. Gengis Khan had a couple of thousand mistresses, King David had 300.I myself am a direct descendant of a famous character in history(documented) and another of this famous character's descendants is even more famous.In days of old rulers had their concubines etc. It makes sense for the talented ones to spread their DNA. On a more practical note, Tiger should try and gain a contract with Ansell ,Durex etc .Can you imagine the number of puns that could be made.I will not put any of them here, they will be edited out. eg now you can be a real Tiger....

PCH
15-12-2009, 01:53 AM
Hey Space Oddity,

you CAN"T leave us guessing here. You've said it now so come on, let's have it, - who is the famous ancestor. We're dying to know :thumbsup:

Nightskystargaz
15-12-2009, 05:50 AM
Stephen,

Big No

:thanx:,

Tom,