PDA

View Full Version here: : A big welcome to a 3rd generation IIS'er

tlgerdes
11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Hello to Big Ant. :welcome:
How many others are 3rd generation IIS'ers?

Barry Gerdes
Trevor Gerdes
and now
Anthony Sarcasmo Gerdes

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

multiweb
11-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Anthony's on the forums now? Cool. :thumbsup:

strongmanmike
11-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Yes that's pretty cool Trevor :thumbsup:

How old is Anthony?

Mike

jjjnettie
11-12-2009, 06:59 PM
That's a first all right.
Welcome Anthony!:)

Robh
11-12-2009, 07:08 PM
What a great common interest to have!
A bridge between generations.

Regards, Rob

PeterM
11-12-2009, 07:19 PM
This is just great! We need more young people in this hobby.

I wonder what incredible astronomical discoveries he will see in his lifetime that we older (if 52 is old) might miss - will he see Eta Carina become an incredible supernova? Who knows. Indeed what discoveries he himself might make in this wonderful hobby. How will equipment that amateurs use change - from 25 years ago I remember many late night discussions with Terry Lovejoy, Gregg Thompson and others about what might lay ahead for amateur astronomy. We thought of many things, a wish list, but we have clearly gone much further than we ever imagined. I was thinking the other day how fortunate have I been in my astronomical lifetime, Halley's Comet, Shoemaker Levy impacts, Comets McNaught, Hyakutake, the Leonids, a few discoveries of my own and many other incredible sights along the way. Meeting people like Sir Patrick Moore and many others, not to mention the many friends I have made through astronomy. As I have often mentioned here, the Sky at Night and Patrick Moore are where my interest started and blossomed. No doubt Ice In Space and the many, many talented people here now and into the future will add to Anthony's journey over the years.

A BIG welcome to Anthony, a superstar of the future.

PeterM.

Omaroo
11-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Yo Ant! Welcome dude! :D

seanliddelow
11-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Welcome Anth:thumbsup:

Im a 14 year old involved in this hobby and their are several others as well so your not alone:thumbsup:

Sean

strongmanmike
12-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey Sean, you have an impressive collection of telescope gear :eyepop: I would have never dreamed of having a 12" telescope when I got serious about astronomy at age 15 back in 1982 - on ya :thumbsup: Back then most people started with crappy refractors, I waited and saved and read about scopes and eventually purchased a 4.5" Tasco on an EQ mount but then thought it was amazing when by a stroke of luck I fairly quickly moved up to a HUUUUGE 8" Newt on a EQ mount :P

Mike

seanliddelow
12-12-2009, 10:12 AM
The big scopes are only getting cheaper and easier to buy as time moves on I reckon in 50 years a 20" could be an ametuar scope.

Ric
12-12-2009, 12:39 PM
All three generations, that is excellent.

I reckon it is definitely a first on IIS.

Cheers

Jen
13-12-2009, 12:51 PM
:eyepop::eyepop: wow thats fantastic :D Barry must be so proud :thumbsup:
Goes to show he has had a lot of influence on his family :thumbsup: Imagine the conversations they are having at a family BBQ in the back yard on a clear night :rofl:

Wives say "hey where have those boys dissapeared to":screwy:
Oh there they are up in the back paddock in the dark looking up :lol::lol:

Big Ant
13-12-2009, 02:52 PM
:party2::newbie:hello everyone. Thankyou for your welcome.

I'm 8 years old

I have a meade etx125, which my dad seems to think is his :eyepop: but now Pa has bought him something new to play with, I might be able to use my telescope for a change:lol:

:hi: Anthony

Jen
13-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Awwwww nice Anthony welcome to IIS I have an 8 year old son too
You would have a great time together, :D that Pa of your is a lovely fella your very lucky cheers buddy :thumbsup: