PDA

View Full Version here: : Fireball North of Perth

WarpSpider74
10-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Saw the most awesome meteor I've ever seen last night. 8.30pm from my house in the far northern suburbs of Perth. Was setting up my scope to view Orion when a huge slow moving fireball passed overhead to the north. I first caught it to the north and fairly well above the Pleiades, it crossed Aldebaran and dropped below the horizon a little to the north of due east. The colour was distinctly red-orange and the time taken for the transit was around 4-5 seconds. Really stood out because it was big, slow and colourful. Really made my night :D

Anyone else lucky enough to catch it?

Ric
10-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Blimey, fireballs in the west and wormholes in Norway. :eyepop:

I'm missing everything down my way. :lol:

WarpSpider74
10-12-2009, 11:21 AM
1. Fireball over Perth
2. Black Hole in the sky over Norway
3. LHC ran at full power for the first time yesterday
COINCIDENCE?!?!? :rofl:

Ric
10-12-2009, 11:35 AM
We're doomed. :eyepop:

We're all doomed. :rofl:

(insert music from "The Twilight Zone" here) ;)

JimmyH155
10-12-2009, 02:10 PM
And its not even December 21st, 2012:P:D:D:D

seanliddelow
10-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I was observing at same time yesterday in Midland area but it must have been too low for me..... Did you notice how great the seeing was last night?

it may have been a Geminid but they are usually white.

rogerg
10-12-2009, 04:33 PM
I was probably out in the obs about then but didn't see it, I have tall trees to the north, even if I am outside looking up. Sounds good though :thumbsup: Too quick to get a shot I guess.

I'm hoping for some nice meteors on the weekend at Tammin, going to have a camera sitting there going all night just in case.

Viewing conditions last night were quite good, you're right Sean :)

Robbie
10-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Yes indeed I saw it it was at approx 830 pm between orion and the pleiades flat trajectory north to south Im not sure if it was exactly the same one but it was one of the most impressive Ive seen.
Saw one in the whitsundays a few years ago came in low and flat glowing green ,bits breaking off and a wicked sonic boom, then it burned out luckily.

WarpSpider74
10-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah the seeing was good last night, once up above the horizon hugging smoke haze anyway :( Makes for nice sunsets though.

Good to see someone else saw it too, my wife reckons I was hallucinating after I came back inside raving about it :lol:

Matt Wastell
10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I was worried I would miss the Venus transit - it happens in June 2012 - I do not really care what happens after that! Phew!

Jen
10-12-2009, 11:32 PM
:lol::lol: yeah me too Ric i miss out on all the good stuff LOL :rolleyes: