PDA

View Full Version here: : 2009 - The Highlights!

Darth Wader
07-12-2009, 08:47 AM
2009 has been my first serious year of astronomy and there have been quite a few defining moments that will always stand out in my mind.

Finding Saturn for the first time with my new scope

Earth Hour - the wife had a night out with friends, the kids were tucked into bed early and I spent a lot more than an hour enjoying the clear, moonless night with slightly less light pollution from my backyard

Tracking down Mercury in the late afternoon sky (not an easy task from my home)

Getting my mug in the 2009 Compendium!

And finally, hearing the news of Anthony Wesley's discovery of the impact on Jupiter.

Let's hear your "great astronomical moments" - they need not be your own personal acheivements, just things which stick out in your mind.

Cheers
Wade

jjjnettie
07-12-2009, 09:07 AM
It's been a year of personal achievements for me.
Being asked by iOptron to submit an article to Astronomy Technology Today.
I didn't think it would attract as much attention as it did when it was published in March.
It was quite head turning. Congratulatory emails from all over the world. wow. And from all you guys too. Thanks.
Then to receive the Mini Tower in appreciation. double wow.

The 2009 Compendium. To be published twice in one year is awesome. Can't tell you how proud I am of Chris to grab this idea and run with it. Thanks again.

barx1963
07-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Mmmm... getting my first "real" scope the 12" beast.
Getting it all kitted out, dew control, decent EPs, EP Box, laser finder and collimator and filters.
Finally feeling like I know how to find stuff.
Exploring the Virgo Galaxy cluster.
Seeing the Trapezium, then seeing stars E and F within it at SN 2 months ago.
Seeing M74 from my backyard!
Nearly completing my Messier 100 list

Just a few things

Ric
08-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Seeing Hubble get a new lease of life and the spectacular images it is producing was one of the major highlights.

The Jupiter strike as captured by Anthony was definitely another.