PDA

View Full Version here: : OT: Just got back from seeing Dream Theater...

Octane
06-12-2009, 04:28 AM
... for the second time in as many years. The first time was the first time they came to Australia, too.

I left Canberra at 1:30 PM this afternoon, arrived in Sydney around 4:30 PM. Went to a friend's place, freshened up and then drove to the Hordern Pavillion. Show started at 8 PM, and ended at 11:30 PM. Then, the long drive home. I got home at 3:20 AM. It's been a long day!

I initially wasn't going to go until I found out that Pain of Salvation was opening for Dream Theater. I have wanted to see Pain of Salvation for so long, and, finally, they came to play just for an hour as an opening act. It was incredible. Daniel Gildenlöw was in full flight displaying his four octave range flawlessly. :eyepop:

Then, the main act.

If any of you appreciate progressive, technical, provocative, soul-soaring music, and, aren't afraid to listen to very long compositions (actually, I've never understood why people complain a song is too long -- do you complain that there's too many colours in a painting?), I'd recommend listening to the musical virtuosos that are, collectively, Dream Theater. Warning: it took me 2 years to appreciate their music. It's not easy to get into, but, when you realise what they're doing, and, how they do it, you can't help but be impressed. When they released Images and Words in 1991, there was absolutely nothing out there like it. Their music was beyond their time.

Last night's concert was even better than the first time around. Such soaring and epic music performed without a single mistake is a sight to behold.

Highlights for me included seeing Jordan Rudess (keyboards/synthesizers) using his iPhone as a musical instrument (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFG7-Q0WI7Q) -- unreal -- and, John Petrucci's superclean guitaring and technically-perfect musicianship.

Here is a clip from a concert in New York, in 2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhedP71N9gQ

That is one of the tracks they played tonight, but, it was a little different -- it was so much more powerful. I hope that someone either bootlegged the show or there is an official release of it as I've never been to a concert where the mix was so good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4WEAHRLorM :eyepop:

Plenty of videos on YouTube, if one is interested.

Sorry for the off-topic post, was heaps excited and am still buzzing. :)

Regards,
Humayun

Rhino1980
06-12-2009, 08:49 AM
I remember these guys. Musically they are very profound. The singer is Opera trained yeah? A wealth of talent, it would have been great to see!

DavidU
06-12-2009, 09:05 AM
A great band. All technically brilliant.

Esseth
06-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Yeah i saw them in Brisbane was a great show, but PoS's performance was hindered by incorrect balances. The bass was just really really high and made it really difficult to listen to. But DT went off with a bang as normal.

I also got to do the meet and greet which was worth every cent of the 250 i paid. Awaiting the photo to become available ATM, but i think i ruined it by looking at the band when the camera flashed lol

JethroB76
06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Cool, a great band indeed

kustard
06-12-2009, 06:55 PM
My electric guitar is a John Petrucci signature axe, it's really nice and light and has a pretty good sound (especially through my marshal amp with a bit of overdrive *grin*)

We spent all of Saturday at Homebake, a great day celebrating some really good Aussie music :D

leon
07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
My son and his giel friend are in Melbourne tonight to see them, it is also his second time.

last time he was back stage with them, He is in the middle of the pic.

Leon

Octane
07-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Leon,

Lucky guy! I met the drummer, Mike Portnoy (guy with the tattoos) in 2007. :)

Hope he has an awesome night.

Regards,
Humayun

Omaroo
03-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Wow - I'm a Jordan Rudess fan all of a sudden. He's appeared in many Moog videos before, but I've just seen him demonstrating a synth I'm looking at for work called Omnisphere. An incredible piece of software, but geez can this bloke tinkle a keyboard.

http://vimeo.com/5721459?ab

Check him at around the 5:45 mark. Pretty cool indeed.

Octane
03-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Chris,

Jordan is a magician! He uses his iPhone in live shows to play music on. :D

Do a search for When the Water Breaks by Liquid Tension Experiment (practically all of Dream Theater, without the vocals) and watch him cut sick. Be sure to watch both parts.

H

Omaroo
03-05-2011, 02:31 PM
OMG

Bought.

Downloaded.

I prefer them without the vocals.