PDA

View Full Version here: : My first calender

strongmanmike
04-12-2009, 12:24 AM
I received my copy of The Sky at Night magazine yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see a free 2010 Astronomy calender included. It is very similar to our own Astronomy Calender but without the star maps and all images are from amateurs plus it's FREE :thumbsup:

I was chuffed to see that my Deep Centaurus A image graces the front cover - very cool :P :thumbsup:

http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/gallery/calender

Sorry about the photo quality, I shot them in poor light and couldn't use the flash as it wiped out the pages with glare.

Two other IIS Aussies are in there too - Martin Pugh is Mr July "and" Mr Sept, while Ted Dobosz is Mr February. Martin is still designated as a Pom from Dudley in the UK though :rolleyes: :lol:

Nick Howes and Tom Davis feature too

I know a number of others on here have featured in a calender before and a couple have done so a number of times to boot!...buuut this is my first :D

Bottoms up :drink:

Mike

renormalised
04-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Congratulations!!!:D:D

DavidU
04-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Well done Mike:thumbsup:

Barrykgerdes
04-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Great Mike
I see you did the right thing by keeping the beverage label off camera!

Baz

telecasterguru
04-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Mike,

Super effort and gives me something to aspire to. Just awesome.

Frank

Ric
04-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Well done Mike. :thumbsup:

Are they going to pay you royalties? ;) :lol:

Cheers

jjjnettie
04-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Congratulations Mike.
How many copies of Sky at Night did you buy??
The Calender would make cheap chrissie pressies for all the rellies.:lol:

Kal
04-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Well done Mike, and prime position on the cover to boot!!!

:drink:

sjastro
04-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Congratulations Mike.

I was fortunate enough to get one of my images in the 2006 Vatican Observatory calendar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_Observatory

The buzz is that the reading audience not only included the scientific community but also the Pope.;)

Steven

StephenM
04-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Congratulations Mike - well deserved! Extra points for getting the cover too. :thumbsup:

I managed to get one of my images in the 2010 Astrovisuals calendar for the first time as well :)

Cheers,
Stephen

spacezebra
04-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Congrats Mike

Were do I get my copy?

Cheers Petra d.

strongmanmike
04-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Hey thanks guys :thumbsup:

Regarding royalties :lol: all the finalists (20 images) in the Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition stand to make 10% of all profits the Royal Observatory makes from selling our images ie posters, postcards, or what ever etc sales...so I am expecting a massive cheque next year of ooooh say?...5 or 10 pounds perhaps..? :rolleyes: :lol:

I think the calender is only available as part of teh December edition of the Sky at Night mag..? But it may be available at the Royal Observatory too..?

If you want the calender, probably best to find a copy of the Dec issue of Sky at Night mag in a newsagent I guess? It's out there in Aussie newsagencies.

Mike

Waxing_Gibbous
04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
I didn't get my calender!!
Wasn't going to gripe but now I will.
Many congrats on hitting the big-time!!!!

Jen
05-12-2009, 01:42 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: good one Mike but umm since when do you ever take poor quality pics :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Im going to pic up my mag on Monday so i better get a calender too :P

And i soooo love Martin's work too :thumbsup::thumbsup:

strongmanmike
05-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Are you a subscriber to Sky at Night? If you are it was attached in the centre of the December 2009 issue of the magazine, should be every copy too

Yes Martin has two months in the calander. It was great to be on the front cover but once people pick up the calender and say ooh nice they then open the calender and stick it on the wall where my image will never be seen again :lol:

Mike

Hagar
05-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Congrats big fella, It's a great image and has now been around the world a few times. Well deserved.
No more Sidonios of this one required.

strongmanmike
05-12-2009, 08:06 AM
It's ok Doug I haven't Sidonio'd this for a while now, but the success of this image is testement to the value of doing a Sidonio!

Mike
PS when/if I finally get a 16803 chip camera...look out :lol:

dpastern
05-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Congrats Mike. You look damn well happy (as you should be)!

Dave

Hagar
05-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Come on Mike get an SBIG 8300. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.:rofl::lol::rofl:

multiweb
05-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Nearly missed that one. Congrats mate! :thumbsup: I still would prefer the heavenly cluster on the front but that's just me. :lol:

mill
05-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Well done Mike and also Martin and rest go go Aussie's go!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

strongmanmike
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, well, you're right, that's one place it wasn't displayed, two very similar Himalayan skyscape images in three days were though :rolleyes: :lol: