PDA

View Full Version here: : I don't like my job any more...

troypiggo
02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Can I make a living out of taking astro and macro photos? I need to support a wife and baby too. All offers considered. I'm also pretty handy at networking, computers, websites, linux server admin, and I'm a pretty decent bloke. I think. Oh, and I'm hilarious. Just ask me.

Of course, I'm kind of joking. I do like my job and couldn't afford to not continue my career of some 17 years. Just having one of those weeks where I'm over the crap that comes with consulting in the building industry.

multiweb
02-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Sounds like you need a real good break over the Xmas period. :xmas::sunny:

Octane
02-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Troy,

I'm trying to get out of IT and do photography forever, too. :(

I think it's just a matter of time.

Regards,
Humayun

troypiggo
02-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh yeah, tell me about it! Been on of those years. No, wait... It's been a couple of "those years"!

Heeeey, you run a Syd/Canberra office, I'll run Brisbane. We'll take over Australia! Yeehhhaaaaa. What are we gonna do? We could call it "HumTroy Photography and part time IT and part time Structural Engineering Consultants" - got a certain ring to it, don't it?

supernova1965
02-12-2009, 05:33 PM
I love my job the only thing I hate about it is I am not getting enough work at the moment. I want more IT work not less:bashcomp::computer:

jjjnettie
02-12-2009, 05:37 PM
There's pocket money to be made though. And the satisfaction that comes with knowing that the peeps like your pics enough to buy them. :thumbsup: :)

troypiggo
02-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Ok, here's one for you. If you had the choice to do a job that stressed you out, consumed your life, but you got paid very well for and live life comfortably from a financial standpoint, can afford to support your wife and new baby so she doesn't need to work any more - and stack that up against a job that would pay intermittently and not very well, but you absolutely loved, you'd be living right on the line, wife may have to go back to work, you couldn't afford your expensive hobbies any more, you'd have to work much longer and not retire as early as you could in first job. What would you do?

Edit: I just re-read that and it's absolute dribble. Sorry. You get my point, though?

Octane
02-12-2009, 05:48 PM
With a family, the second option might come across as selfish.

Single, and no family, option B, all the way.

Do what you love, man. Only one life to live.

Regards,
Humayun

supernova1965
02-12-2009, 05:48 PM
The job I love because if I took the one that I hated I wouldn't last long enough to make any good money because I would go maddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddd:screwy:

troypiggo
02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Ok, well I just based the rest of my life on what you guys suggested, so I hope you mean it. :)

multiweb
02-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Doing a job you love or a job you chose is great. But when you turn a hobby or something you like into a job then it becomes something you have to do regardless and make money out of. It becomes a job and might be stressful at times like any other job. The secret is to balance your time between work and time spent with the family. IMO the only way to achieve that and manage your time efficiently is being self-employed. It's not for everybody though. You work twice as hard but you can chose to or not to and most importantly when. Which is freedom.

kustard
02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
A friend of mine worked in IT at UOW (uni of Wollongong) for a few years and then decided to try his hand at being a professional photographer. 6 months later he's back at the Uni at his old job. He said there are just way too many people trying the photographer avenue at this point in time and even though he is single and free he wasn't able to keep himself going.

My possibly unwanted suggestion would be to stick with your regular income job and set aside a regular set of hours per week to follow your "dream job" and build up some sort of word of mouth type business. After a few months you'll have more of an idea how successful you'll be.

:D

troypiggo
02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
After careful consideration I've decided to leave my job, wife, and child and start stalking ultra-rich, beautiful women and asking them to marry me. I'll let you know how it goes.

matt
02-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Indeed, H.

I've been looking very closely at a few photographic courses being offered around Bris.

I don't want to do another degree...but a full-time intensive 1-year course is looking very attractive to me right now and that's exactly what I'm currently considering at
Brisbane College of Photography and Art.

I can feel a loooooong break from day-to-day newsroom life coming on:D

troypiggo
02-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Seriously, more than everything, I love my wife and child-on-the-way. I love to be able to provide for them, and have no hesitation putting up with the day-to-day stress if it means living comfortably and happily at home. I do find time to enjoy my hobbies as well, so overall I'm good. Sorry for the vent. I need a beer.

matt
02-12-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm about to have one!;)

troypiggo
02-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Bring one over here. I'm in Milton. Thanks.

kustard
02-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I tried this but then realise they don't go for slobs like me ;)

matt
02-12-2009, 06:45 PM
And they have a tendency to call the cops....or set large dogs on you:rofl::rofl:

dpastern
02-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Same. Although I suck at people photography imho, so you'll have a far better chance H, given the quality of your images.

Dave

Octane
02-12-2009, 06:47 PM
It's not stalking if you really, really, really, really, REALLY love them.

Regards,
Humayun

matt
02-12-2009, 06:48 PM
LMAO....

Like he said, your honour!

Mick
02-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Most must hate there jobs but thats what it's all about for me making sacrifices doing the best you can and putting up so you can enjoy all the good things in life like family, friends, hobbies and beer...:D

Waxing_Gibbous
02-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Troy,
Money first unfortunately. As Octane points out if you are single, it doesn't matter. But 'familied-up', one needs to sublimate their wishes. Alas.
I wanted to be a Librarian and even worked in the Manuscript (peservation a restoration) dept of the British Library for 13 months, while my wife did her PhD. Try supporting 2 people, living in Central London on 16,630 GBP P/A!
Octane:
Try Product / Commercial photography. You know, gears, widgets, machines, pipes that kind of thing. There are a few good openings in this area I believe. Its not even remotely glamourous but it does get your work known.
A friend started out this way with a sideline in architecture and landscapes.
Now he works full-time for several UK magazines including Country Life and The Times Mag on Sunday.
Good Luck to anyone who wants to change their life for the 'better'.

Regards,
Peter" just a thought from a 40 (summin')joint-venture Project Manager who's about to be made redundant for Christmas Im so glad I put in all that travel and late night work over the past 10 years and got everything running smoothly" Hexter!

Ian Robinson
02-12-2009, 06:52 PM
My advice .... a job you hate is better than no job .

If you want to turn pro photographer .... start out parttime (as a moonlighter) and keep that job you hate until you are sure you can earn as much from taking photos.

FredSnerd
02-12-2009, 07:41 PM
A school teacher of mine always used to say; Get a job you love boys and you'll never work a day in your life.

troypiggo
02-12-2009, 07:45 PM
I loved it for a long time. The industry has changed, sadly. Now I just like it. Me thinks your teacher was describing an idealistic world that isn't the one we really live in ;)

FredSnerd
02-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Sadly, I think your right. His advice was for a time long since past

peter_4059
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
There's only one way to solve your issues here Troy - Retail Therapy - go on you know you want some new astro toy! :xmas:

troypiggo
02-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Clickety click... aaaaand... sorted :)

peter_4059
02-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Knew it - so are you ready to confess yet or is this "on loan" also?

Jen
02-12-2009, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=troypiggo;529539] Oh, and I'm hilarious. Just ask me.

QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol: lol Troy nothing wrong with being hilarious ;) it keeps me sane :D

Ric
03-12-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd like to make a living out of making Gnomes and selling them at the local markets.:D That way I could spend all my time on the farm and away from offices.

It's a great pocket money earner but I don't think it will kill off the mortgage. :rofl:

Oh well back to work.:sadeyes:

Cheers:)

White Rabbit
03-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I hear you, I dont like my job either. I jumped ship in September this year in to what promised to be a great job but turned out to be a nightmare. Nothing that was said to me in the interview has even comes close to what I'm doing.

So I started looking for another job last week and got one, more money more down my ally, I'm just waiting to have the discussion of exactly what the pay will be but the discussions so far indicate it will be more than I'm on now.

My ideal dream would be to by some land in the blue mountains, set up a pro grade observatory and rent it out to researchers, I thing I'll need a lottery win for that one though. I'd have it completely off the grid with wind turbines and solar panels. Hell I might even pay someone to teach me how to spell lol.

Sandy

FredSnerd
03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=Jen;529730]

Sorry! You reckon you're sane. Well actually yeah. I can see that you would.

matt
03-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Nahhhhh......not necessary, Sandy.

Just look at how many kids graduate from high school these days with the spelling skills of a monkey!:lol:

Zaps
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM
You need to be able to leave your work at the office. The number of people I know who sit around talking about their jobs when they're not at work is depressing. Who wants to be on their deathbead, reflecting on their life and think "gee, I sure worked a lot, I bet those companies are real grateful."?

Jen
03-12-2009, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=FredSnerd;529976]
:lol::lol::lol:

DavidU
03-12-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm very lucky. I have enjoyed working in the music industry for 30 years.