PDA

View Full Version here: : Something Unexpected

renormalised
02-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Doing a little bit of family history today and I was over at a Scottish site (for the town of Callander) having a look around and found something I never expected to see...

My 4x Great Grandmother's headstone!!!:eyepop:

Needless to say, I saved the piccie. I'd love to go over there and see it for myself.

Waxing_Gibbous
02-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Callander is really, really nice - one of the prettiest towns in Scotland.
My wife & I weekended there once. Definately worth a trip if you're up that way.
Plus I'm sure 4X Gran. would appreciate it.:)

renormalised
02-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Yes, from what I see of piccies of there, it looks very nice. Might even catch up with an old friend of mine who lived not far from there, if I'm lucky.

I think Gran would be really appreciative if I was able to visit. I'd have the headstone cleaned up if I was able to.

Barrykgerdes
02-12-2009, 06:29 AM
That is where Dr Findlay's casebook was filmed. Nice town. I played my only game of bowls there against a friend who was a keen bowler. He never asked me again after I "killed" him!

Baz

Ric
02-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Good value Carl.

It's always great to find little bits of family history like that.

Cheers

Liz
02-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Wow ... that is amazing Carl!! I have quite a few Irish roots ........ and to find a headstone of a great great great !!!!
Havent heard of Callender, but am sure you will make it there one day!!
Hmmm ... you do have the Scottish colouring ;)

Jen
02-12-2009, 10:08 PM
:thumbsup: Thats cool Carl, time to get that flight ;)

renormalised
02-12-2009, 10:34 PM
I have the Irish in me as well and it runs as deep as the Scottish:D

Callander (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Callander,+Perth,+Scotland&fb=1&gl=au&hq=Callander,&hnear=Perth,+Scotland&ei=IEsWS_LmBI-gkQXZ_NmHBw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQtgMwAA)is in mid-Scotland, sort of above (north of) Glasgow, right at the start of the Highlands. It's in old Perthshire.

Yeah, it was quite a surprise to find my Gran's headstone as one of the piccies from the old Callander graveyard (Tom na Chessaig...translated it reads the Mound of St Kessog...used to be where the original church in Callander was built). Her name was Helen McLaren (nee McQueen), her husband was Archibald McLaren. Passed away in 1829.

renormalised
08-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Found some more headstones of rellies last night....

My 2x Great Grandmother and her youngest boy, together, as well as Great Grand-dad and his youngest son.

Liz
08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
That is excellent!!!
Where are you finding all these headstones??

Robh
08-12-2009, 01:23 PM
You are very fortunate to be able to find evidence of your lineage so far back. Must be exciting to piece all the facts together!

Regards, Rob.

renormalised
08-12-2009, 01:53 PM
They're actually very close lineage compared to much of my family...some of my family are listed in Burke's, so you can figure out just how far back I can trace some of my ancestors:D

renormalised
08-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Australian Cemeteries Index (http://austcemindex.com/)

You may even find someone:D

Louwai
08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I've been doing something similar over the years. It's really interesting to see where the family originated.
My father was born in Tysoe, Warickshire. He has a long family history in tysoe.
After doing a fair bit of research, I've found family links back as far as 1380 in Tysoe.
Currently there's the old Manor house & a street named after ouf family.
I had a look around the cemetary when I was there 19yrs ago & about 60% of the old graves were my family name........

Amazing stuff.......

renormalised
08-12-2009, 05:02 PM
That's a fairly long way for most family histories....1380. Most people usually run into problems going beyond about 1550-1600, many don't even get that far.

So, you're from the landed gentry. Seeing that the manor in the village is named after your family, there's a good chance your family is the family of the area. Have you been inside the Manor at all?? It'd be great to find out about the history of the old place and about everyone who lived there!!. You might be lucky...if you're a descendant of the senior branch of your family and the eldest in the family, you may be entitled to an inheritance!!. Lord of the Manor...so to speak:D

renormalised
08-12-2009, 05:48 PM
BTW, if any of you are lucky enough to trace family back to 1066, and they had position and property, let me know. I have a copy of the translation of the complete Domesday Book, so you'll be able to find out what they owned:D

Louwai
08-12-2009, 07:29 PM
I've found the 1500's probably the easiest part of the family tree Carl. For some strange reason the local Tysoe records were very well kept around that time. In the 1500's there was the main family pair with 3 sons & a daughter. 1 son went to the US, one son went to Europe & one son stayed in Tyseo (my forefather). The daughter married & her decendants now live in NZ & I have been in contact with them.

My father (90yo) has 2 pig skin scrolls, which are deeds to land in Tysoe that was given to our family by the then King. Can't recall the date on them. I think it's around the 1700's. The land is no longer in or family, but I still have the scrolls with the royal wax seal on them.

One of Dad's predecessors was also a very well known artist of his time. He was once commissioned to paint a picture of the King & 2 Knights feasting at the table. There were 2 "originals" painted. 1 is hanging in the London Art Gallery, the other is hanging on Mum & Dad's lounge wall.
The authorities don't know which was painted first & therefore the actual "original".

Mum's family is Scottish & they migrated to Brisbane just after it became a free settlement in 1861. Some of the earliest Brisbane photos have Mum's original family house in them. It was on the river bank where the Qld Museum now stands.
My Grandmother, My Mother & myself all went to the same primary school. Mum's mother (when she was alive) told me that she remembered living in the house by the river when she was a young girl.
Mum's family owned & operated an Iron Monger's shop on Albert St in the CBD. Right where the Myer Ctr is now. UNFORTUNATELY they sold the land in the 1920's.

renormalised
08-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I know what you mean. One of my family lines has really good records back to 1320, then it dies in the rear, a bit, for a century and a half, then picks up again around 1170-80. Seems strange things like that happen, where records seem to drop off for a time then pick up again. Although it all depends on what's happening in the world at the time.

Those scrolls and the painting would be amazing family heirlooms, something worth passing down through the generations!!!. I hope they're insured. It'd be a national disaster losing something like that or seeing them ruined by being damaged.

That's a great family story about early Brisbane and the house your grandmother lived in. They were real pioneers...something to be proud of.

Louwai
08-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately Carl, the scrolls are 50% illegible. They were partially submerged in the 1974 floods. Although the wax seals are still ok within their tin canisters.

If you look at any of the old photos of Brisbane from around 1890's, on the upstream side of the Victoria Bridge, on the southern bank, there are a few houses along the river bank. There is only 1 with it's own jetty into the river. That's it. My mother's original family home.
I think it was washed away in the 1897 flood.

renormalised
08-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Oh no...what a bummer. But they'll still be valuable, damaged or not. Just the fact they have Royal Seals on them is enough.

I think I've seen a photo like the one you just described, but it was quite some time ago. Might see if I can find it online, somewhere. Jog a few brain cells:D

Louwai
08-12-2009, 09:05 PM
http://www.sutcliffegallery.com.au/cat/Brisbane1.htm

On this web site Carl. The image B2,B2x (top left cnr of the page) is an image taken from the CBD side of the river looking over the Victoria Bridge & across to where the Qld Museum now stands.
This bridge was the replacement built for the original Victoria Bridge which was washed away in the flood of 1897 (I think) So this pic won't have the house in it as the house also was washed away in the same flood.

http://www.library.uq.edu.au/fryer/alcock/512/img0054.html
Here's one looking from the South side of the river towards the CBD. The house would have been just off the the left.
The stone arch on the right is still standing today & has been kept as a monument.

Whoops. Made a mistake. The bad flood was 1893, not 1897. http://www.ourindooroopilly.com/brisbane-history.html
This web site has photos of the original Victoria bridge being washed away.
The great flood of 1893
Floods which had occurred in 1887 and 1890 were mere dress rehearsals for the devastation which came in the wake of a tropical deluge in February 1893 when land close to the Brisbane and Bremer Rivers was completely inundated. On Thursday, 2 February, the "Brisbane Courier" published an intimation of the coming disaster:

renormalised
08-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Very interesting pics and article...I'm going to give the article a good read tomorrow:D