PDA

View Full Version here: : Some supernovae images

Park123
01-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi All,
Some of you will know that the Backyard Observatory Supernova Search group has had great success in the past few months. Working with Peter Marples,Colin Drescher Greg Bock and Pat Pearl has been alot of fun and has produced alot of very useful Scientific results. To have the professional Astronomers follow up on our discoveries is great and very enjoyable. But it is hard work and many 100s hours are involved in just 1 discovery in Imaging, Scanning and reporting. It has been a very long road for me as I have had an interest in Supernova searching for 20 years but only contacting Peter Marples 2years ago and starting my serious search programme in June of this year. So to be able to discover as many as we have is really unreal for me and many thanks has to go to the group Peter and Colin who does the reporting and everybody else involved. We work in very well and all seem to get on so easily I think that this is the main reason for our success.
Make no mistake this part of Amateur Astronomy is extremely competitive and sometimes can bring the worst out in people none of which I have ever found with the Group. I would like to thank them for making me very welcome and really look forward to working with them in the future and especially looking forward to meeting them this weekend when I come over. I would also like to thank Bob Evans for his inspiration in keeping my Interest in Starting a Supernova search programme.
I thought I would make a collage of our discoveries in the past months. I have done one for Peter’s discoveries as well to show you all the different shapes and sizes of the galaxies we observe. I am starting a new Website to be able to post our observations hopefully in the New Year. I hope you enjoy these images as much as we have in discovering these massive explosions of these distant stars.

Stu Parker
Parkdale Observatory
New Zealand

multiweb
01-12-2009, 08:13 PM
This is quite something to be very proud of mate. Terrific work. Well done. :thumbsup:

dpastern
01-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Stu - that's awesome! You guys work *very* hard to get these results. You deserve much lauding for your hard efforts. Real science being done by amateurs - it's so nice to see.

Keep discovering those SNs.

Dave

edit: do you plan to put up detailed methodologies for SN hunting on your new website?

TrevorW
01-12-2009, 09:15 PM
well done and thanks for the images

PeterM
02-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Wow Stu,
Thanks for the early christmas present. Now sitting proudly in a photoframe.
PeterM.

Ric
03-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Nice work indeed Stu, fantastic images. :thumbsup:

When you look at their size in relation to the galaxy I reckon some of them must have really rattled the old neighbourhood. :lol:

Cheers and hope you find many more.

coldspace
03-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Excellent work guys.
This is real imaging/science.
Keep up the good work.

Matt.

DavidU
03-12-2009, 11:20 PM
That's a fantastic result for all that effort by everyone !

coldspace
05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Nice to meet you today Stu.
Hope you have a nice stay over here in Aus mate.
And get some more S/Novas.

Matt.