PDA

View Full Version here: : Remote imaging ?

bluescope
28-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi All

If I want to do remote imaging from my house is this the sort of device that I need to make my old desktop computer in my observatory able to communicate with my laptop which already has wireless LAN capability ?

This is a pretty cheap device I found on eBay :shrug:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370234296430&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cheers for any advice in advance ;)

:thumbsup:

Starkler
28-11-2009, 07:43 PM
If you already have a device such an adsl router serving as a wireless access point then yes. Two network cards alone wont talk to each other without the wireless access point.

supernova1965
28-11-2009, 08:22 PM
All wireless network adapters have what is called a MAC address (Machine Access Code). To be secure you need to set up your router to only allow machines that you want to access your network by MAC address so you tell your router which MAC addresses you allow to connect. So the people that cruise for open networks so they can hack your computers steal your identity or simply use your internet account.

mithrandir
29-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Some wireless cards will support running as an access point in an "ad-hoc network". I don't think it is worth the trouble. Get an access point or router.

MAC spoofing is trivially easy. You should be running the highest level of encryption your devices support. If something only supports WEP, replace it.

WPA2 (or WPA) with pre-shared keys is the most practical for home users.

WPA2 (or WPA) with Radius if you are feeling lucky, or don't mind beating your head against a brick wall.

Not broadcasting your SSID helps, but not much.

supernova1965
29-11-2009, 11:51 AM
I agree with all your points here using every security feature you have at your disposal is the way to go.

Jen
29-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah i have been trying to allow my Wii to do this this but im not having any luck :screwy:

supernova1965
29-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi Jen try this website see if it helps I don't own a Wii yet but plan to soon to get fit:gamer:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineWirelessRouterTroubleshooting .jsp

bluescope
29-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Probably better to just walk around the block every day Warren ... and cheaper ... however you can't play Mario Cart whilst walking around the block or golf, tennis, boxing etc etc etc ;)

___________________________________ __________________________

Thanks everyone for your input to this thread :thumbsup:

___________________________________ __________________________

mithrandir
29-11-2009, 01:35 PM
That looks like it might help. You need to know how security is configured on the router before you start. All the wireless devices have to be set to match the router. In case you are tempted, entering a 63 character PSK (the longest you can use) from the wand is a bit tedious.

My WiiFit is parked under the TV. RSI of the knees from the stepping exercises put me and SWMBO off.

2 yr old grandson's first words every time he spots the Wii. "Monkey racing. Monkey racing."

Jen
29-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks i will give it another try. :thumbsup:
They are good fun :lol: ive taken up the boxing on Wii and its hilarious i must look like such an idiot punching the air LOL talk about cracking myself up HAHA :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jen
29-11-2009, 03:38 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Santa is going to bring me Mario Cart and Super Mario for Xmas :lol::lol:

:driving::driving::driving: