PDA

View Full Version here: : Happy Thanksgiving!

wavelandscott
27-11-2009, 03:48 AM
In case you are not aware, today November 26th is Thanksgiving here in the USA.

Thanksgiving is a great occassion with deep roots here in the US and while it has changed over time to also become the official start of the Christmas shopping season, it is one holiday for me that has real meaning.

For me this holiday is a time for family and for literally "giving thanks"...as such I wanted to express my "Thanks" to the Management, Moderators and Members of IIS, you have all contributed to a great community and resource for those interested in looking up at the night sky.

We are in the midst of preparing a great feast here in Connecticut with Turkey and the trimmings so the house is filled with the scents of cooking food and it makes a nice contrast to the "brisk" temperature and the look of "fall" (pre-winter) outside.

Alhough we celebrated Thanksgiving as a family during our time in Australia with a special meal and also took the opportunity to give thanks, the weather was not really appropriate to running an oven and roasting a turkey so this is our first traditional Thanksgiving that my children will remember and thusly is special to me.

Have a great day, I know that we will here!

Dennis
27-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Hi Scott

May you, your family, friends and your country folk have a lovely Thanksgiving!

Cheers

Dennis

matt
27-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi Scott....

Happy Thanksgiving....and warm regards to all the USA-based members of IIS:)

Omaroo
27-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Indeed Scott :) Happy Thanksgiving.

Wish I was there in beautiful Connecticut at this time of year too. :hi:

jjjnettie
27-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Hope you all have the best of days.

Is there a Turducken on the menu?

renormalised
27-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Scott, saves us some turkey!!!:P:P:D:D

wavelandscott
27-11-2009, 11:32 AM
No Turducken for us...just plan old Turkey...actually not so plain. We used Alton Brown's (from Food Network) Brine recipe...good eats no doubt.

It has been a very nice day!

Thanks all for the well wishes.

Octane
27-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, Scott!

Mmm, turkey. Om nom nom.

Looking forward to Enchilada's input to this thread. :rofl:

Regards,
Humayun

AstralTraveller
27-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Happy Thanksgiving. And thank you for your pleasant, enjoyable posts on this forum. Enjoy that second helping! :thumbsup:

JimmyH155
27-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, Scott! I spent a year in New York and loved every minute of it. We visited Connecticut once and boy oh boy, those Autumn colours were fantastic, and we didn't even get to the best ones in Vermont!
We got to know quite a few New Yorkers and they were all lovely people. At one party, we met a NY cop, who after about 5 mins talk, invited us for a day out with him and his wife, to Long Island. (loved our accent!) What a day it was. He showed us his "beat" in Brooklyn - complete with transvestites - and we ended the day at his parents place where we consumed TWO lobsters he bought - each 7 lb - cooked in pure butter:D
Oh, and by the way, I worked in the restaurants there and was very interested in that thread the other day.. I could (actually am) write a book about our year in NY:)
Great country:thumbsup:

Ric
27-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Hope your having a good one Scott.

Cheers

erick
27-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Gobble! Gobble! :D Enjoy! :thumbsup:

I just hope you are not travelling. I tried to fly from New York to Melbourne via San Fran one year at the end of a Thanksgiving weekend - it was chaos and I ended up on flights other than what I had booked. I made it home half a day late - my baggage followed in another day!

Jen
28-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Mmmmm Turkey yum yum :P
Hope ya have a great day Scott :thumbsup:

wavelandscott
28-11-2009, 02:41 AM
All,

Thanks for all of the warm wishes, stories and additions to this thread.

My family survived the feast, ate too much and have heaps of leftovers. All in all a great day.

Thank you all for participating in it!

Jen
28-11-2009, 02:45 AM
:thumbsup: So whats for dessert Trifle :lol: yummo :thumbsup: or cheesecake :P
Or what do the Americans do have Egg Nogs haha i gotta try one of those one day :thumbsup: As long as its not like a vodka Martini that they all drink over there OMG they are horrible :lol::lol:

wavelandscott
28-11-2009, 02:53 AM
Apple turnovers for us...traditional is Pumpkin Pie but my children are not fans of pumpkin...

Jen
28-11-2009, 02:56 AM
:rolleyes: ewww Pumpkin Pie i dont blame them dosnt sound nice haha
Even though i do love pumpkin :thumbsup: but not for a dessert LOL :lol:

erick
28-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Pumkin Pie with cream - Yum!

Spanrz
29-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Had Thanksgiving dinner here last weekend. The wife got busy in the kitchen. Think it was a 5kg/10lb Turkey with Pumpkin pie, Apple Pie, Cheesecake and Lemon Meringue pie.
Dinner for 5. Topped off making Pina Colada cocktails......
And the leftovers are the best...........Pies for 3 or 4 days...Yummm.
Stupid Coles said that Turkey's were in stock (online ordering), then 1 day out from the dinner, said "no out of stock". Went to the store and there they were.....:confused2: :screwy:
Went to the States years ago, to experience the weekend, great cultural exchange, but missed out on the snow, that would have topped it off.

Even though it's an American holiday, ppl who come to our dinners rave about it.......Something different :)