PDA

View Full Version here: : Price Difference ?

mick pinner
22-11-2009, 06:38 PM
according to a program l just watched the aussie dollar is worth 48% more than it was on this day last year but equivelent products have only dropped by an average of 18%, interesting.

acropolite
22-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Quick t rise, but until overseas forces start to put more pressure on prices I doubt they'll fall.

I suspect that as Christmas is near and spending is inevitable the prices will stay high, but I reckon that after Christmas when sales slacken the prices might fall.

wasyoungonce
22-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Pretty much these "inflated prices" are across the board...computers, cars etc not just telescope stuff.

I suspect the Christmas mass imports will see lower prices mainly due to competition.

Speaking of cars...I believe the import tariff on OS imported cars drops next year by 5%.....cheaper cars anyone or will the savings be passed on. Apparently Mazda is already passing on the reduction.:question:

Ian Robinson
23-11-2009, 07:59 PM
If you are smart , you'll hold off buying anything expensive until well after Xmas ....

It's called consumer resistance .... if enough people hold back and don't spend up while the prices are still high , eventually the retailers will be forced to drop their prices more into line with improvement in the AUD against all other currencies (but particularly the USD , the Euro, the UKP , the Yen).

Hold the line fellas ..... it'll pay off big time if you do.

PCH
23-11-2009, 08:07 PM
You may be dead, - but things will be cheaper :lol:

Hagar
23-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Prices will increase and fall with regularity during times of uncertainty. Easy to say the dollar has moved by 48% and local prices have only moved by 18% but we have to remember that is one year ago and during that year everything and I mean everything increased in price for one reason or another. Take a look at grocery prices and vegie prices. On average they have increased by 20% and thats the local stuff not just the imported stuff. To use 1 year ago's prices as an analogy is unwise and extremely untrue.

I gather you are talking Astro gear prices and these suffer from a lot more than exchange rate. Remeber a store must hold stock that stock has been priced at the time of import. Lots of other things must be factored into buying Astro gear localy but we all have a choice to buy local or import it yourself and the import option is questionable at the moment with much of the gear we buy.

Time to stop grizzling about local prices and get out under some dark skies and enjoy what we have and can afford..

Louwai
23-11-2009, 09:10 PM
In some areas prices have dropped significantly.
In the construction industry for example (Australia East Coast), the price of fabricated structural steel delivered to site, right now is apprx 50% of what it was just before the 'crash' last yr.

mick pinner
23-11-2009, 09:41 PM
not refering to astro gear at all Doug l gave up on that long ago, actually electrical goods. when you look at the large ammount of gear and the many different manufacturers trying to sell similar stuff l would have expected lower prices to be passed on.

Hagar
23-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Sorry I answered Mick. Perhaps you and Ian need to go into private discussion. Why gripe about something you have no control over. Vote with your wallet.

mick pinner
23-11-2009, 10:19 PM
don't understand your reply Doug. sorry for what. l just made a simple comment on what l thought was an anomily given the exchange rate, as for going into private discussion maybe my comments are not deemed worthy of discussion by some?

dugnsuz
23-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Settle down now boys!
Case in point though Mick - I just purchased an effects pedal from an US ebay store for approx $180AU dollars less than the best Australian dealer price and that's with delivery too. Sometimes the difference in the prices are pretty remarkable and as you state..."?"
Doug

DavidU
23-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Which one Doug?

dugnsuz
23-11-2009, 10:49 PM
MXR bass octave deluxe
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=389&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail

ps...guitarist/singer (Tim Vann) in band I play in uses a 12Axe! Small world!

Ian Robinson
24-11-2009, 12:03 PM
That's worth knowing .... for that ROR shed project , I'll flash off a few faxes with my layout (slightly modified) and ask for revised quotes for my roof trusses.

toryglen-boy
24-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I am swithering as to wether top buy a Boss GT-10, much cheaper than here, get a chorus pedal, love the 80's bass sound of slap with chorus

hmmmm ....

;)

DavidU
24-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Good boy !:thumbsup: