PDA

View Full Version here: : The race to build a 1000 mph car

glenc
20-11-2009, 06:18 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427356.000-the-race-to-build-a-1000-mph-car.html?full=true

"...the wheels of a 1000 mph car will need to rotate at over 10,000 revolutions per minute, many times faster than on an ordinary car. This rate of spin entails an acceleration of almost 50,000 g at the rim, generating forces that would easily tear conventional wheels apart. Instead, this car will need wheels of solid titanium, or more likely carbon-reinforced aluminium. What's more, as the vehicle approaches the speed of sound, it produces a frontal shock wave which liquefies the earth ahead, so the wheels end up carving through ground, rather than simply rolling over it."

"Huge, rapid and hard to control thrust is no bother to Rosco McGlashan, an Australian drag racer who has set up a rival team to Bloodhound and North American Eagle. His car, Aussie Invader, will also be propelled by rockets - in fact, nothing but rockets."

renormalised
20-11-2009, 07:11 PM
...and then he hears a siren and the highway patrol order him to pull over:P:P:D:D

"Sir, you were doing 1000 in a 500 zone. I'll have to ask you to get out of the car":P:P:D:D

Ian Robinson
20-11-2009, 09:54 PM
My question is .... um .... why ?

Omaroo
20-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Of course it is. :rolleyes:

Why?

Why not? What's wrong with pushing boundaries? Materials, aerodynamics and control systems are all better off with developments borne of exactly this type of exercise.

Jen
21-11-2009, 01:20 AM
:lol::lol::lol:
And Eddie Murphy step out of the car and says "wooohooo wooohoo pull over pull over" :lol::lol: hehe
Opps sorry a big Eddie Murphy fan here LMAO

Dam that would be a thrill and a half to go for a spin in that car ;)
:driving::driving:

sheeny
21-11-2009, 07:49 AM
For the challenge.

It is the challenge that inspires us to do new and difficult things. There are many spins offs from taking up challenges... learning new things (all sorts!) and developing new technology... but you only get that with risk...;)

It's the challenge that un-mixes grey and makes black and white.

Al.

sheeny
21-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Somehow I don't think that is so much of a problem... barefoot skiers don't get anywhere near 1000mph yet they are able to stand on water...:shrug:

"Carving through ground"... I don't think so... unless something in the range of minor to major goes wrong!:eyepop:... like wheels no longer underneath the car:P.

Al.

kinetic
21-11-2009, 08:04 AM
I have seen a few young dudes in cars doing just that in morning
traffic. Funny thing is, I catch up with them at the next set of lights.

Steve

Ric
21-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Cool, ten miles in 90 seconds. I'd never be late for work again.

Cornering could be a bit of a problem though.

tlgerdes
21-11-2009, 05:52 PM
"Say bye, bye to the nice officer"................................... ...

"Bye, bye, Nice Officer!"