PDA

View Full Version here: : Rove no more

matt
16-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Rove has announced he's pulling the pin.

The show he has hosted for the last 10 years wrapped up last night.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other. I haven't really watched it in a long time. I thought he was good when he started, but at some point around three or four years ago it all started to look a little tired for me and appeared self-indulgent. Especially as an increasing number of his comedy 'mates' started to make their way onto the show as regulars.

I'm glad he's decided to 'pursue other projects'.

What do you think?

Clarry
16-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Good riddance, but please don't replace it with some crappy reality show. That would be even more torturous.

multiweb
16-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I think the bloke's a legend and has been a breath of fresh air in the entertainment industry. I don't think he's self-indulged. He's earned his spot and has brought up a lot of his mates and other talents to the light. That's not self-indulgence to me. He's gone through some very tought times very publicly and I wish him all the best in his future projects.

matt
16-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Don't forget to vote, chaps:)

jjjnettie
16-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Not that I watched all that often, but I did enjoy his show.
It was his interviews that I liked best.
He made his guests feel so at ease and relaxed that they truly opened up to him. Yep, some great interviews.
My Mum is going to miss him dreadfully. She's a big Rove fan.

Jabba
16-11-2009, 11:49 AM
I liked him when he first started... but got over it fast.

Ric
16-11-2009, 12:30 PM
I enjoyed the show in the early days, well presented and witty.

I suppose that I'm not that fussed either way.

At least he didn't drag it out for 20 odd years like "Hey Hey"

michaellxv
16-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I think a third option for the poll would have suited me better.

no - i'm not upset that its gone.

have not been a regular viewer for a long time, but like most shows it had its good moments.

lacad01
16-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Rove who ? :question:

matt
16-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Yes. There could always be more options and the questions could be worded a little differently. But they are not.

So, just be a good sport and play along within the confines of the poll...

It's not meant to be anything more than what it is:)

Ian Robinson
16-11-2009, 01:50 PM
No great loss .... I can't vote as there isn't a "don't care" option.

Betting the ratings went down the U-tube and he was given a choice, no one really believes what he said on the news do they ?

Crap show .... wont miss it .

Wish the Footy Show would go the same way too.

churto
16-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Never liked him, interviewing skills were hopeless and as for his "show" pffft...

:party:Thank goodness he has gone. :party:

ving
16-11-2009, 02:49 PM
yup, gravy... no poll should be without a gravy option.

I quite like the show and watched it just about every week... but i am not going to cry over it... i am not really... honestly... ok, dont make me cry ya *******s! WAAAAHHHH!!!! :(

:P

matt
16-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I knew I should have put a "Yes...I'll miss it sooo much I'm gonna cry about it," option!!!

A good tip for the future, David.

And the gravy's in the mail.

Jen
16-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Its been going on for too long :rolleyes:
I did like the interviews with famous people especially when he had P!nk on there :lol:

Starkler
16-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Why should someone be happy that a show comes to an end?

If you don't like it, you wouldn't watch it and therefore not care unless it has displaced or is being replaced by something you do like.

Esseth
16-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Ditto

matt
16-11-2009, 05:37 PM
It's just a bit of fun, Geoff.

DavidU
16-11-2009, 06:29 PM
The only reason I will miss Rove is it was one of the last live TV shows with live Aussie music. Were do bands go now?

matt
16-11-2009, 06:47 PM
DavidU - I agree.

Let's hope the networks come up with something bright and fresh as a replacement.

From the discussions I've had with entertainment reporters over recent months I'm told there is a definite awareness of the need and popularity of variety/chat shows.

The way is open for someone to come in and do what Rove did 10 years ago.

It'll just come down to which network is brave enough to stump up the $$$ and resources to get behind an ambitious undertaking.

PCH
16-11-2009, 07:07 PM
:lol::lol: My thoughts entirely.

I was never a fan, but when I watched the first five minutes of him presenting the ARIA awards two or three years ago, his foul mouth ensured I would never intentionally watch him again.

True, the same language is used extensively on other shows, but I guess I expected better of this clever man on a show like the ARIAs.

No loss to me :thumbsup:

mithrandir
16-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Despite not being in the Rove demographic, given a choice of being forced to watch one of the footy shows or Rove, Rove would win hands down.

The footy show mottos have always been: You'll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the viewers.

Today Nine paid out ~$200K for some garbage coming out of Newman's mouth

GrahamL
16-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Aussie music ? .. are you sure bout that guys ?.. What I see was a definate bias towards the .. eg.. bend over rove here comes ... an Idol ..or major signed artist.... this .. was the most pathetic example of cross prometeing an extrermely lame money spinner you could ever get. ..imo

Good on him for bailing on another contract signing .. watch rock quiz .. or perish the thought go out and catch some live music.. I swear its still out there :)

Davros
16-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Meh................couldnt care less

mick pinner
16-11-2009, 08:35 PM
thank goodness, mindless and not funny.

DavidU
16-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I do see a lot of live music,and Rove did have a lot of OZ artists on.
Still Rove was a tad ...eh

dpastern
16-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Sorry, he didn't do anything for me.

Dave

Jules76
17-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Like others, I enjoyed a lot of the interviews he had one. Loved it when he had some great comedians on such as Will Ferrell!

But the thing that annoyed me about Rove were the frequent lame segments he had on. Hated the guys who would advertise the Rove Daily website, found there humour lame. It then comes as no suprise that I also found the Kevin Rudd PM "series" not funny at all (where's the vote to shoot the writers of that crap? :lol:). It's the segments like that which seem to become more and more frequent as Rove went on which really put me off the show as a whole.

My partner will miss the show, but me, meh... :shrug:

MrB
18-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Can't recall seeing too many aussie acts, but then I didn't watch the show all that often..

Recovery on ABC though.... there was a programme that showcased Aussie acts big and small... a real shame when that one got canned.

robin
18-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Every show has its ups & downs. I think on the whole, it was entertaining for what it was. It targeted a particular demographic & was generally well accepted. I dont miss any show if it goes...now if we can just ditch that so called footy show...

AstroJunk
20-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Poor fella, the sadness of his loss is still there, and it showed in his program. Best that he stays off camera for a while...

Oddly enough, when his beloved wife died :sadeyes:

MortonH
20-11-2009, 02:42 AM
I thought his show was pretty much sh*thouse, but no worse than 95% of other current TV shows...