PDA

View Full Version here: : Compendium Favourites

strongmanmike
11-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I received my Compendium yesterday - nice work Chris! :)

I must say there are some great shots in there, some I hadn't seen before too - nice!

Everyones work looks really great in print I must say but some stand out pages that had that wow :eyepop: look for me were:

RogerG p20
Paul Haese p28
alchemy p29
gregbradley p58
Robert3000 p75

Well done guys a nice collection :thumbsup:

Mike

AlexN
11-11-2009, 08:36 PM
My 10 favorites in order of appearance...

Hagar p4.
Strongmanmike p30
sjastro p37
bloodhound31 p41
tlgerdes p48
[1ponders] p55
gregbradley p58
astrotourist p62
Bassnut p73
Peter Ward p74

Every single image in there is a credit to the photographer, but for me, those 10 stand out like there is no tomorrow...

Can't wait for next years! :D hah!

Octane
11-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Scott Adler's Centaurus A is the one for me. There's something about that star-studded field of view. Also, Marc's surreal painting of Eta Carinae.

Mike, your shot is awesome, too.

Regards,
Humayun

strongmanmike
11-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeh I know what you mean, Scotts shot looks pretty neat.

erick
12-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Not that fella that hogged two pages! :D

Beyond that, I won't even try to pick from that great diversity of images from a great diversity of equipment and a great diversity of experience and expertise. Well done every IISer!

tlgerdes
12-11-2009, 01:35 AM
Now that we are "published" astro-photographers, that people have paid money to see, doesnt that take us from being amateurs to "Professional" status? :D:D:D:D:D

Bassnut
12-11-2009, 02:05 AM
Gaud Mike, cant it all just be good, your sooo competitive :mad2:.

Give it a rest ;).

jjjnettie
12-11-2009, 02:15 AM
Sorry to disappoint you Trevor. You gain professional status only if the funds from the sales go directly into your bank account.;):lol:

AlexN
12-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Jeanette - You'd be considered a professional imager would you not? You've sold quite a few of your astro images..

strongmanmike
12-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Wada'ya talkin about :question: no competition here just some personal observations regarding how some pages grabbed me, other images were just as good but a few were just well presented and I wanted to say so :shrug: ...so...leave me alone :sadeyes: :sad:

AlexN
12-11-2009, 07:57 AM
now now, nobody wants to see a big man cry... :). Fred, look what you did. You've got him all upset now.. Geez. :P can't we all just get along? Hahaha

jjjnettie
12-11-2009, 09:08 AM
No way Alex. You have to sell enough of 'em to have to pay tax.

multiweb
12-11-2009, 09:22 AM
:lol: It's not Fred's comments. it's the spotlights that irritate Mike's eyes :P Double insert hey? Playboy! :lol:

toryglen-boy
12-11-2009, 09:28 AM
i was just tickled that mine was on page "69"

:lol:

jjjnettie
12-11-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm aiming for page 3 next year.:P:lol:

erick
12-11-2009, 10:14 AM
OK, I'll weaken and comment on a few:-

Fred's lagoon (p73) is so 3d!

William's Eta Carina (p67) and text - for unbridled enthusiasm!

Michael's dish (p63) - for looking down rather than up!

Mike's "out of this world" smilie (p59)!

Warren's simple yet effective arrangement of Moon afocals (p43)!

Jen's purple and emoticon (p39) - for the sheer power she wields!

Vincent's Moon and planets (p32) - was a hit in the office!

Dave's Sol (p26) - for being up close and personal!

Liz's colourful gecko (p1) - and for having a beautiful image at the front of the book that represents the end of an observing/imaging night!

:thumbsup:

TrevorW
12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Hey Duncan you got my favourite number ;)

well done too all that contributed I'm still waiting on mine

at least by the tiem I get it the ink will have settled

toryglen-boy
12-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Threads like this can sometimes be unintentionally antagonsitic, that is, if someones name isn't mentioned as "standout" they can take it personally.

I need to level with you all, i dont think there is a bad image in there, the entire book is an absolute triumph,and everyone involved should be very proud of themselves, i didnt know if i was gonna contribute, as i didnt think my image could cut it, but thankfully Chris weighed in with the kind words that made me submit my shot, and i am so absolutely "over the moon" that i did. and i am already planning something better for next year!

:thumbsup:

toryglen-boy
12-11-2009, 04:30 PM
yeah, the only other number i would have wanted is "3"

:lol:

Jen
12-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Page 39 stands out the most to me cause its the only page that has purple writing and also has an emoticon :hi: Oh yeah and a pic of the moon too :lol:
;):P:D
:rofl::rofl:

Martin Pughs andromeda galaxy mad me go wow ;)
But so did all the pics they are all fantastic and i would like to be able to at least get a few nice pics like those one day :thumbsup:
Just beautiful :)

Enchilada
12-11-2009, 10:42 PM
'pose I better buy a camera for the 'scope…. ;)

alan meehan
14-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Got my book,thanks chris very well done alot of time and effort has gone into it .Iam not going to pick any favorites everyone has has done their best and is outstanding although i was pleased to see my mug shot next to jjjs well done a fine coffee table book.
THANKS ALAN,

Enchilada
14-11-2009, 02:30 PM
For those who didn't buy the book, is it all possible to get a pdf sampler of the document, so we can also see what the non-imagers here all missed? :thanx:

It also might also help to boost sales for the next one - if there is going to be a 2010 next one? :help:

jjjnettie
14-11-2009, 02:35 PM
:) I was happy to see that I shared pages with you too Al.

seanliddelow
14-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Im with you:thumbsup: I will buy it next year.

iceman
14-11-2009, 04:24 PM
You can still buy it this year!

I have some left over from printing extras.

Andrew, we sold over 200 copies, with only 80 image contributors. So stop saying "non imagers" . There were plenty of people who enjoyed the book and bought the book who did not supply an image and who are not imagers.

If you want to buy a copy, feel free!

Enchilada
14-11-2009, 04:43 PM
As to why I didn't purchase a copy has nothing to do with the quality or lack thereof, but is more to do with cash-flow - if you get my drift.

iceman
14-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Not a problem at all, understand completely.

star1961
15-11-2009, 12:45 AM
i bought the book because i love astronomy and i love the fact that 'amateurs' can contribute in a field that is so scientific joining together photography and astronomy
i thought the pictures were stunning and it really surprised me the quality and professionalism
when i turned the page and saw the pic of the sun it just took my breath away!
i loved the pictures of the photographers and the snippets of information
i think it's done fantastic and i wouldn't change anything
its a reflection of a community that is joined together by a love and interest in astronomy and photography
it is the year of astronomy and i think the release of the book is very fitting
astronomy fascinates me and i've been lucky enough to study the subject through our university and planetarium in adelaide
i don't own a telescope and i don't take pictures
although i took a really good pic of the smily face with my 5mpx mobile phone zoomed it in with photoshop
i'm just always out stargazing and love the fact that i can name the constellations, planets and most stars, their types and distance
the beauty of the night sky and the moon never ceases to amaze me
so thank you all contributors to the book I think it's something to be incredibly proud of
i look forward to the next edition

seanliddelow
15-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Sorry, Im 14 and in major debt as I have brought a 12" Dob:P
I do have some photos of the Moon taken instantanously through my dob I can submit next year. (If it isnt a problem)

erick
16-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Sounds good to me. Several submissions this year were exactly that!