PDA

View Full Version here: : Brakes failed !!!

Ian Robinson
09-11-2009, 05:54 PM
I had a major service done on The Beast a few months ago , just before it was due for reregistering.

No problems were flagged other than I am will need a new clutch kit soon (not slipping yet so no problem).

Driving back from Newcastle foreshore this avo after running some errands at peak hour , and approaching the T intersection on the north end of Charlestown , RED LIGHT against me , put my foot on the brake peddle .... nothing happens .... !!!! only quick thinking and 30 years of experience driving , and quick reflexes saved me from being in catestrophic accident , I pulled on the hand brake immediately and that stopped me just over the line and averted an accident (could have been fatal).

Made a careful D-lne (using the handbrake and engine compression and clutch to control the car) straight to Stopmaster Brakes (Gateshead) who tell me there is a break in the hydraulic line that goes over the servo, got to order the required replacement parts overnight ($100) and they told me I shouldn't drive the car home as it's not road worthy or safe to use.

Well :doh: , I didn't need to be told that , and yes , it scared the crap out of me when it happened , as there was no forewarning.

Shaken , sturred , but safe .... and probably extremely lucky .

renormalised
09-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Very lucky, but now out of pocket...although the expense is worth it.

supernova1965
09-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I would say any cost for repairs are well worth it to still have you with us good to hear that you are OK:scared:

torana68
09-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Nasty, but a little more detail might be good, unless you own a very old car you have a "split" braking system and you cant , unless extremly unlucky, loose all braking, if its the brake booster (servo) pneumatic line that failed you had full braking but would have to push down very hard to stop. Did the pedal go hard or to the floor?
Roger

GrahamL
09-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Had this happen once not fun , though mine was the opposite my master cylinder decided to seize meaning the brakes locked on .
I backed off all adjusters roadside to the end of there adjustment which meant I had one more application before I was really stuffed.

I managed to travel about 250 kms out of a national park and up a highway through some mountains and all the way home without having to touch the pedal.Guess it was unsafe a little bit ;) but I did have brakes there just if I used them once that was it .

TrevorW
09-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Lucky Ian

GeoffW1
09-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Hi,

Very glad to hear you are unscathed. This happened to my daughter-in-law recently. It was a rupture in the flexible hose going to a front wheel brake. Fortunately that car had dual circuit brakes and the rear brakes continued to work, but they were weak, less than half the total power.

Cheers

renormalised
09-11-2009, 06:42 PM
That's the situation where I reckon an airbrake, like the big flappy panel on the back of a Veyron, would come in handy. Stop you nearly dead in your tracks.

Barrykgerdes
09-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I have had two brake failures. Both many years ago the first was lucky because the car was in stationary while I was check the brakes. I pressed extra hard and the cups in the master cylinder burst. I replace all the rubber parts after that before we used the car again.

The second was more scary I came over the top of the hill in what is now Ryde Rd heading down to Epping road. I was doing a little under 80MPH (no speed restriction there in those days, a dirt road). I tested the brakes so I could slow down at the cross roads 800 yards away, The pedal went to the floor. Luckily a couple of pumps gave me enough brakes to bring the car to a stop before the cross roads. On checking I found the inner front guard had rubbed through the brake line leaving a substantial leak. I carefully drove home and replaced the pipe. In those days all repairs were done by me.

Barry

DavidU
09-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Ian, that's no good at all.Experience may have saved a life here. Serious stuff.:eyepop:

marki
09-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Only ever had it happen on a race track but unfortunately it was on a bike at the bottom of a long straight down a hill. OUCH :(. You are a very lucky man Ian, it could have been a lot worse. I would be spending another hundred on lottery tickets if I was you.

Mark

Ian Robinson
09-11-2009, 08:47 PM
That's what it felt like .... I'm used to not having push too hard to feel the brakes slowing ....

Car is a NH Pajero (1992 model). I'm the original owner and I've kept it very well maintained mechanically and physically.

I am so glad I thought to pull the hand brake , did the handbrake stop pretty much instinctively , only had a fraction of a second to do something.

The stopmaster guy mentioned the servo, said it's hard to see where the problem is as there is fluid all over the place .... a bit shaken by the experience at the time

torana68
09-11-2009, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=Ian Robinson;519655]That's what it felt like .... I'm used to not having push too hard to feel the brakes slowing ....

Ian ,
will be interesting to know what the faulty bit was
Roger

ngcles
09-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Ian,

I'm glad to hear you are unscathed mate -- could have been much worse. I have had just one experience with brake failure and it's a terrible feeling.

I was in Kiora Rd Miranda, mid afternoon driving a coaster-style bus with just one passenger. I had just finished dropping of a whole load of geriatric folks in the previous hour and had been driving around the Sutherland area at speeds up to 80kmph. As it happened I rounded the corner from the Kingsway and headed down Kiora Rd toward a pedestrian light which had just turned red. As it was red I only accelerated up to about 40kmph in 3rd and then let the engine/compression brake slow us as we approached the lights. There was one car in front -- a tradesman's van towing a hefty trailer.

By the time I was a bit over a car-length off his rear I was only doing 15kmph and it was time to use foot brake to stop. It went straight to the floor so you instinctively pump it again and went to reef on the hand-brake but, too late. Even at that slow speed I made his 7 ft trailer into a 5ft one and rammed the draw-bar and tow hitch into the back of his van by nearly two feet. His van and the trailer were a write-off and unfortunately he missed a week's worth of work through having no van. Thank goodness he had his foot on his brake pedal otherwise we might have buried a pedestrian or two too.

He (justifiably I guess) leapt out of the van and gave me a mouthful and a half before I managed to calm him down just enough and to try the bus brakes for himself. Brake fluid just haemorrhaged everywhere and that was the end of the harsh words.

It was later established that the rubber cups in the driver's side front calliper burst when I braked. I thought it would have dual-circuit brakes but apparently not. Thank goodness it didn't happen an hour earlier at 60kmph -- there could easily have been a dozen dead.

It's an 'orrible feeling.

Best,

Les D

asimov
09-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Wow glad you avoided injury!

I wasn't so lucky quite a few years ago with the same kind of thing: I wrote off 4 cars (including the one I was driving). Got sued by the owner of the car I was driving. His insurance company failed to cough up so it took my 5 years to pay for it all.

dugnsuz
10-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Glad to hear you're OK Ian - close call mate!

wavelandscott
10-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Glad your safe...what a harrowing tale...

On a seperate note, do you do any work for the LHC??? They seem to be having some mishaps too.

CoombellKid
10-11-2009, 04:41 AM
Bet the neighbour went.... Dang!!!!

sorry couldn't resist

Cheers,CS

Ian Robinson
10-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Rear diff brake hose failed. ....

All fixed now , Stopmaster guys gave my breaks a good going over and say they are now A-OK.

No evidence of tampering .... yes ... that did cross my mind as I've still got the mad neighbour from hell .