PDA

View Full Version here: : HST images The Jewel Box (NGC 4755)

ngcles
31-10-2009, 02:47 PM
HI All,

Very much a favourite telescopic object for all southern hemisphere observers, the Jewel Box is a sensational open cluster.

I believe this is the first time it has been imaged by HST and there are composite HST/La Silla images too in this HST press release:

http://www.spacetelescope.org/news/html/heic0913.html

Enjoy!

Best,

Les D

seanliddelow
31-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Its about time!
Crux just got interesting

PCH
31-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Beautiful images Les - thanks for posting :thumbsup:

mithrandir
31-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Neat, but they got a bit carried away with the diffraction spikes.

If you follow the link to image 6 - widefield of Crux including NGC4755 and the Coal Sack - the large version is 31MB!

lacad01
31-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Always like viewing that part of the sky, thanks for that :thumbsup:

Dennis
31-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks Les - just lovely!

Cheers

Dennis

Enchilada
31-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I think these are all fabulous pics. This wonderful Jewel Box cluster is one of the true gems of the southern skies, and it has captured my imagination ever since I first saw it at Sydney Observatory. This history of its observations, and the coloured star have let it keep its endurable popularity and legacy. (Could they be running out of the usual northern targets I wonder?)

The only open comment to make is that this open cluster was a perfect cluster to choose, because it is relatively small in size. Love the fact that the the camera still couldn't fit it all in.

Another interesting thing is they leave out the most obvious candidate!

The image neglects one member of the cluster, which is well away from the asterism. This is the star HIP 62646, of 5.7 magnitude, lying some 15 arcmin away — roughly towards β Crucis / Mimosa. It is the brightest star associated with familiar 'A' shaped asterism. Those here might be interested to read part of the southern page about the cluster and where this "missing star" is placed. I.e.

❝NGC 4755 — THE JEWEL BOX – "The Jewel of the South" (http://homepage.mac.com/andjames/Page001.htm), which is broken up in several parts.

☢ Man!

AstralTraveller
31-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I certainly did. :thumbsup: