PDA

View Full Version here: : Well bushfires suck.

Marko of Oz
18-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Been close before but we've not had to evacuate. This afternoon it was a case of get the cats in the car and leave.

The emergency services did there job though and all is well, for us at least.

Hat's off to the fire dudes in Rocky and elsewhere and all the other people that put their lives on the line to save other peoples shtuff.

cheers

Mark

Ric
18-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Just glad to hear your ok Mark.

Phil
18-10-2009, 08:00 AM
where about in Rocky went up my parents live in Thozet rd
Phil

Liz
18-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Scary stuff Mark, glad all is OK.
We seem to be living in hazy smoke all the time up here - fires around Townsville area are becoming the norm, so dry!!

xelasnave
18-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi Mark they are scarey ...many folk think they happen someplace else and somehow you dont respect them...then one nearly gets you takes everything you own.

I had them last time I went home on the back ridge with a huge wind blowing may way ...once I would stay to protect the house but they seem to be getting fiercer so I bolted and figured better lose the lot than my life.

I just hate the smoke in the house for days on end If I get lung cancer it will be from all the smoke from all the fires over the years.

I am turning an observatory I built in Rock into a dedicated shelter becasue the other day when I bolted the wind had blown down a tree which near closed the road and I thought I just have to set up to live if a tree is over the road or the car wont start ...

Yes respect their power to destroy and kill.
alex

Spanrz
18-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Yep, pretty darn scary things these bushfires.
Stay safe Mark.

I've got some family in Yepoon and the Gold Coast. So keeping tabs on how they are.

Yeah, something I didn't know about till it happened. Had to air out the house for a week.

For where I live, you never ever think a bushfire could go so close to your home. But back in Feb, it got within 200 metres of the house.
It was just a grass fire, but it took 7 odd homes with it. 47 degree day and seeing this was OMG.
The fireys just got to the fire in time, as they were called out to fight another fire. They were half way to that fire, when they got the call to come back.
If they hadn't of made that decision, the fire would have definately taken a bunch more of homes with it.
It was just a grass fire, but boy was it fierce.