PDA

View Full Version here: : Open University lectures on iPhone/iPod Touch

Omaroo
11-10-2009, 07:47 AM
For those of us who have iPhones/iPod Touch or iTunes (free) on their desktop computer...

Not usually using my phone to watch movies, I recently stumbled on a heap of very well presented presentations from Apples' Open University and other learning content providers. Lots of subjects are covered, and from other institutions as well such as Cambridge, Cornell, MIT, Stanford, Yale and Oxford Unis. The screen is very watchable on iPhone at 160dpi, so it actually works very well. Being free, these are great value. MITopenCOURSEWARE is well worth checking out as they have some great stuff on aircraft systems engineering and stuff - all fascinating.

Anyhow - there is a small (as yet) astronomy section on OU that has some fascinating short lectures on a range of topics that are worth downloading to your phone (if you have access to 802.11 WiFi) or just watching on your desktop via iTunes.

From iTunes (desktop): Home/iTunes U (bottom of page in iTunes Store)/Open University (Featured Providers at very bottom of page)/(OU Learn) Science

Here you will find series of programs (several videos each) titled "Astronomy", "Mission to Titan", "Planetary Science", "Space Scientist" and "Physical World - Waves & Relativity".

From your iPhone/iPod: iTunes/More (at bottom)/iTunes U/Science/Astronomy

There are more titles available via the desktop app, as the phones iTunes app on your device just has access to featured articles.

With the video cable I have arriving this week I intend to plug my phone into our video projector at our next club meeting and show a video or two.

Some of the other stuff from the other universities is incredible. There are hour-long lectures from the top unis in the world on various subjects. I watched a couple of physics lectures from MIT and thought that they were an incredible thing to be able to download to your phone in your spare time. With iTunes you can just watch them on your desktop like any other app.

Please - no anti Apple nonsense - I'm just providing info to iPhone/iPod users and don't feel like discussing how good/bad Apple might be. Please just leave it at the door.

sheeny
11-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks Chris.

Downloading some hopefully good stuff now.

Al.

mswhin63
11-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Excellent site, I have bookmarked it and will hopefully learn some subject matter. Started Physic lectures with great interest.

Thanks for the info.

Octane
11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks, Chris. I had seen the U section before but didn't explore it in the detail you have to find some gold.

Cheers!

Regards,
Humayun

TrevorW
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks Chris

AdrianF
11-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks Chris now downloading one of the videos to see what they are like.
Where did you get you AV cable from?

Adrian

Omaroo
11-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Offa MeBay Adrian :)

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Halo-Electronics-Australia_Cables-Adapters_W0QQ_fsubZ1305832015QQ_sid Z110825475QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em3 22

AdrianF
11-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks

Adrian

TrevorW
15-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Downloaded and watched a very interesting hour long lecture on Saturns rings there appears to be more moons about Saturn than we count some riding within the ring system

I was pleased to hear the lecture say that all you needed to understand was gravity and collisions to fathom what was happening within the ring system of Saturn

I wasn't surprised to see that the rings behaved similar to a pond showing that when an object such as a comet impacts the rings ripples are caused

What I often thought as a stable uniform structure is surprisingly active and changing