PDA

View Full Version here: : Custom upright electic Bass

Bassnut
10-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Way off Astrophotograhy, but of a similar creative bent. To whit, hand made instruments.

My Bass guitar teacher from way back, Chris Frazier, IMO one of the finest Bass players in OZ, got himself a custom made left hand upright electric bass made by an Australian master craftsman.

This thread (http://ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1484&st=0&sk=t&sd=a) in another place describes the adventure in detail of the manufacture of this fine instrument, with a video of its capabilities at the end.

Its great to see Australian craftmanship excell on the world stage and match it with the best.

Edit; WOW, we have a musical craftsman in our very midst (Dave Ulbrick, DavidU), check THIS (http://www.ulbricksound.com/) out.

AstralTraveller
12-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for that Fred. It looks like Bill Paulin has a great job and a great place to work. I'm also in awe at the amount of work that goes into well made instruments and the skill involved. Even if I wasn't a wannabe bassist I'd find it facinating.

Personnally I'm still drooling over my new Tacoma acoustic bass guitar. It looks and sounds beautiful. It will a long time, if ever, before I can do it justice. A bloke I play with keeps on at me about getting an upright bass. I point out that he can carry his banjo on his motorbike but he wants me to get an instrument that needs a van to move. :screwy::screwy:

Bassnut
12-10-2009, 08:33 PM
David. Yes, Acoustic DBs are monsters to lug around, IMO not worth the effort given modern alternatives (well, unless its played in a close enviroment, within an acoustic group, or in an orchestra etc).

The Tacoma Bass does look awesome, but I would imaging some amplification would be required with any sort of audience over 1 or 2 ;).

Im a bit biased, my tastes are not too subtle. Loud, drop-tuned low B is more my scene, gut rumbling gear, but I do appreciate the effort that goes into instruments that rely on craftmanship rather than electronic processing :thumbsup:.

fringe_dweller
14-10-2009, 11:43 AM
man oh man i dream of having a large shed /workshop and start messin about :sadeyes: that works real nice, gawd i hate YT sound quality tho, ex chris ex adelaide? i have a mate who he taught in the 80's, got his old custom cargill fretless offa him, thats a nice bass, i think if i played bass agin (unlikely) i would go for a schapman stick ;)

yep dig that ol school point to point circuit free class A jazz! i'm jonesing for a firebottle, that would be mighty fine :thumbsup:

'we're not worthy' :bowdown: :)

DavidU
14-10-2009, 11:58 AM
LOL, yeh well it keeps me off the streets.