PDA

View Full Version here: : Lagoon - Hubble palette *REPROCESSED*

multiweb
04-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Reprocessed Link: Full frame is at: http://www.multiweb.com.au/astro/M8_SiiHaOiii_nf.jpg [2.9MB]

___________________________________ ____

This is 7h of Sii, 5h of Oiii and 4h of Ha accumulated bits and pieces over the past few weeks. Luminance done from a stack of the three channels. I weighted the ratios 4:1:2 then tweaked until I got whitish stars. Turned out pretty blue and green but the stars didn't go too pink or red so I figured I had the ratios right. Googled up a bit of M8s on the internet, saw some red ones, some green ones etc... and it looked like the blueish green was the way to go. Anyway it's NB so the issue is moot :whistle: but I managed to keep the processing "natural" as I had so much data to play with.

There's a full frame here at: http://www.multiweb.com.au/astro/M8_SiiHaOiii_f.jpg [2.4MB] if you want to have a closer look. Comments/tips most welcome (besides it's too green :lol: ... the little green men made me do it ... )

DavidU
04-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Very nice effort indeed ! One of those Eerie shots.
If you could tame the pink stars it would be superb, however I realise this is not an easy process.:thumbsup:

CoolhandJo
04-08-2009, 10:09 PM
There is lots of detail in there Marc! Many hours of imaging worth! I like it and the stars are sharp (but pink in sections).

strongmanmike
04-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Yes it is sort of uniformly green I guess but overall it is quite an impressive image Marc :)

The magenta stars look good I recon

Mike

telecasterguru
04-08-2009, 10:40 PM
I like the overall balance of the image. I think the green and the pinky purple reddish stars look OK.
Nice image Marc and good to see the effort has paid off.

Frank

TheDecepticon
04-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi multiweb, nice going! Hope you don't mind, I tried a little trick to tame your stars. Do you think it's better? Now you could overlay RGB and give your stars more natural colour. Nice smooth detail and good extended nebulosity, too.:thumbsup:

Ric
05-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Hi Marc, a very nice NB image with lovely depth and clarity.

You've done a top job with this one.

Cheers

troypiggo
05-08-2009, 05:11 AM
Great dedication to get that much data.

And good touch up Decepticon. What's the trick?

peter_4059
05-08-2009, 06:27 AM
Very nice Marc and as Troy says great dedication to get 16hrs worth.

Peter

mexhunter
05-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Hi Marc:
Pretty Lagoon Nebula.
Generally the people think that they are startling colors.
But it give the time double, to the Sii filters and Oiii, you will see a radical change.
Many greetings
Cesar

multiweb
05-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah pink stars are a by product of pushing the reds a bit.

You're right. Looking at it again this morning it is uniformely green. :( Got to work out how to bring the Sii through without screwing things up.

Thanks Frank. It's smooth alright but I have to improve the colors definitely.

I see ... star mask master :lol: Yeah I know the trick :thumbsup: My mates, don't like it either, they call me a "painter" :whistle:

Thanks guys - glad you liked it. 7h of Sii didn't seem worth the effort though. Bit peed off about it.

Thanks Cesar. I don't know, I kept shooting Sii until I got 7h. How much more? May be 20min subs are not enough and I should go for 30min, 40min subs? Bit lost at this stage. Or these are processing issues. :shrug:

gregbradley
05-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Marc,

Super effort. 16 hours is bigtime serious imaging effort. Nice round stars
and lots of things done really well.

There is plenty of red in the image. Its all in the processing
in how to bring it out. You don't need more S11 etc its already there
overwhelmed by the strong Ha signal which of course as Ha is assigned
to the green channel easily becomes overly green.

We are used to seeing a balance of red green and blue in an image
so when one colour is dominant it isn't an ideal effect. Whilst you can
make it what you like in narrowband I think the images that get the
compliments have a nice balance of RGB going. There can be some really
nice mustard colours in narrowband as well as some lovely blues. That in
my opinion is where the beauty is on a nicely done narrowband image.
Martin Pugh's running chicken nebula image of last year is a good example.
So are ken Crawford's narrowband images. He is one of the very best.

I can email you (or post a link here) a version I reprocessed to show a more balanced RGB with
various tweaks.

How you handle the red stars is up to you but there are a few choices that I am aware of:

1. Shoot shorter RGB for the stars and use tricky Photoshop layers techniques to replace the red ones.

2. Use techniques to minimise the stars (not the minimum filter although in mild use it might be OK).

3. Use Photoshop tools to select out the stars and work on the colours
using standard photoshop tools.

Its worth learning a few more Photoshop techniques as 16 hours worth of capture time means its worth it.

Greg

multiweb
05-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks Greg - PMd links of the masters and lum with other info.

AlexN
05-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Looks fantastic Marc! Which NB filters are you using? Baader if I recall correctly?? I cant wait to do some hubble colour images!!

Well done mate, and showing some serious dedication with exposure times! Its paid off nicely!

TheDecepticon
05-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Hello!
I isn't a mask, it is simply a noise reduction technique. This is the link to the full RGB make over for your Narrow Band work. Hope it helps.

http://bf-astro.com/starColors.htm

Cheers,
Gray!:)

RB
05-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I agree with Mike on this, the magenta stars do look good.
They blend in well in this palette and instantly identifies the process as NB IMO.

Anyway excellent work mate, wow 16 hours !!!!

:)

multiweb
05-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks Alex. Yeah I use the baader set Ha/Oiii/Sii

Cool! :thumbsup: Thanks for the link Gray - Didn't know that method. Will try it on that image. Got some RGB data somewhere. :)

Thanks RB - been chatting with Greg about PS curves. I'll post a reprocess when done. Managing to push the red through bits by bits. It will look heaps better I reckon.

multiweb
06-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Well here's my new version. I'm much happier with it. :) Big thanks to Greg for pointing me in the right direction and all of you guys for your suggestions. :thumbsup: Sii is off the naughty list, for now... :whistle:

Full frame is at: http://www.multiweb.com.au/astro/M8_SiiHaOiii_nf.jpg [2.9MB]

Colors are more in line with what's expected of NB images. The pink stars mob will still be disappointed but I'll do a star mask with some RGB data later. Gives me an excuse for one more repro. :lol:

Hope you like this one better. I know I do. :)

suma126
06-08-2009, 09:21 AM
THE SECOND ATTEMPT LOOKS A LOT BETTER .IT IS A STUNNING PHOTO. :thumbsup:

Craig_L
06-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Super effort Marc. Specially like the repro.

gregbradley
06-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Good one Marc. It looks great.

Greg.

multiweb
06-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. It looks a bit better yeah. Happy with that one :thumbsup:

Thanks heaps for your help and tips mate, got me out of a dead end - much appreciated :thumbsup:

toryglen-boy
06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
some great work there, well done

:thumbsup:

CoolhandJo
06-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Marc, truley a good image. Much better balance and the detail now stands out.

multiweb
06-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys - yeah now at least some of the brownish stuff is showing up against the shades of blues. The Ha fronts are also clearly visible in green.

strongmanmike
06-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Nice repro Marc!
Don't ever let those reprophobic posters deter us :welcome:

:P

multiweb
07-08-2009, 05:06 PM
:lol: Bloody ough! I still have to do one red, two blues and another green version :P