PDA

View Full Version here: : Melbourne Directions needed!

ballaratdragons
19-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Hi Melbournians,

I have checked out all the sites about public transport for Melbourne but none of them suggest the best ways to get to places. They just show timetables.

What I need to know is the best & easiest way to get to Morang Road Hawthorn.

Coming from Ballarat by train: is it best to get off at Nth Melb or Spencer St,
catch a tram, bus or another train and where do I get off for that area of Hawthorn (Morang Road area)????

I have to be in Morang Road by 11:45 on Friday!

Please help as I haven't been able to get any help anywhere else.

janoskiss
19-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Train to Hawthorn station and then on foot or maybe a tram. If you can't find any trains going to Hawthorn soon after you arrive, you should hop on a train to Flinders St, and catch one to Hawthorn from there. There should be one every 15-20 minutes. I hope you mean 11:45am!

ballaratdragons
19-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Yes Steve, 11:45 am.

You start by saying "Train to Hawthorn station".
Is that from Spencer St? before you say to try Flinders.

And, if there are none at the first suggestion how do I get to Flinders St station form Spencer St?

janoskiss
19-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Yes fr Spencer St: if there is one going to Hawthorn within 15min after you arrive take it. O/wise, to get to Flinders St, you just catch one of the many trains that go there.

I don't use public transport often, but I would assume it got better not worse since I last used the trains. It is pretty easy to figure out what's coming & going. You should also be able to see how long each train will take to reach particular stations. Just look at the electronic displays or ask the ticketmasters behind the glass. :D

TidaLpHasE
19-09-2005, 11:17 PM
:thumbsup:Try this link Ken, http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/transport_maps/public_transport_map.php

Hope it helps, select Hawthorn and zoom in on tram #'s.

ballaratdragons
19-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks Guys, hope it helps. It's to get me to my job interview!!

ballaratdragons
19-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Looks like I catch Tram 70 from Flinders St. ?? I'll have to get off at Power St Hawthorn.??
But how do I get to Flinders St. I thought the Ballarat Train ended it's trip at Spencer St.

EDIT: Just re-read your directions Steve. Just catch a train to Flinders St.

Lot of mucking around changing here, there and everywhere!

I miss my car :o . I know exactly how to get there by car!

janoskiss
19-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Public transport in Melbourne is cumbersome at the best of times, impossible at other times. That's the price we pay for the privilege for having so much room to move around and big back yards for our telescopes in one of the most populous cities in the world. You can also catch a cab to Hawthorn if you're worried about being late by train/tram/bus. It will cost you around $20 (but probably a bit less).

ballaratdragons
20-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Good Idea Steve. I will get off at Spencer St and catch a Taxi. It will save me from worrying about time or getting lost.

iceman
20-09-2005, 05:53 AM
Good luck BD!

acropolite
20-09-2005, 08:14 AM
While you're there its worth knowing that there's a free tram that circles the city area and that can be used to get around the perimeter.

ballaratdragons
20-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks Phil, but I have to get out to the suburbs. I don't want to get lost any more than I already am. I will get a Taxi from the Melbourne station. On my way back I will get a Train or Tram from Hawthorn into the city as I won't be under any time restraints (except to make the Ballarat Train in time).

Thanks Mike :thumbsup:

Striker
20-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Looks like I'm going to Melbourne in the next week or so...by the sounds of this I hope work is organising all my transport and accomidation.

ballaratdragons
20-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Pity we couldn't catch up while you are down here in Victoria, some of the Melbourne guys might be able to.