PDA

View Full Version here: : Comet Lulin 8th Feb + animation

RobF
08-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Almost didn't get any more than a peek in binocs at Lulin. Awoke to clouds rolling in as predicted and watched some TV for an hour or so. Stuck my head out at 3am and all CLEAR! :eyepop:

Ran around like crazy getting out the scope, pc, etc
Managed to snap off 4 x 30sec shots while getting guiding up. Twilight beginning by time was ready to go deep, but still had a go.

Not much detail of course in 30sec images, but was amazed how much movement (comet newbie speaking here...), so had a go at knitting them into an animated gif. First go at animination, and timing between shots all over the place as this wasn't planned. Still, makes me realise importance of tracking comet if possible rather than stars....

1. Single un-corrected frame (180sec ISO 800)
2. Same frame corrected with flats & stretched hard (tail dimly visible with imagination)
3. Animation (30s, 30s, 30s, 20s - field cropped in about 50%)

All 450D on 8" Newt at PF, with MPCC and IDAS
Thanks for looking.....

Liz
08-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Wow, they are great Rob :eyepop: ...... Look at the long tails, going both ways, in the 2nd pic!!!!!!!!

Dennis
08-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Top shots Rob and a terrific animation!

Cheers

Dennis

jjjnettie
08-02-2009, 07:36 PM
You had more patience than I. I woke to clouds and went straight back to bed.
Nicely captured.
Looks like tonight will be a good one. Pity about the moon.

RobF
08-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks again for looking all.

Liz - I noticed you're a frequent regularly in the Lulin posts - a particular comet interest there?

Thanks Dennis - your adventures always an inspiration - I see you've already done an animation - with lots more detail than my effort

JJJ - couldn't see myself getting up early AM on workdays and worried about moon next few days too, so thought I'd wait a while before giving up. This is only the 2nd comet I've ever seen - after the Halley non-event. Kicked myself later for not just setting up straight away - probably would have rained though I guess if I had.....:lol:
(loved your G-star work from the 1st)