PDA

View Full Version here: : First Light for the 1000 D

Shawn
24-12-2008, 01:57 AM
I picked an area of the sky that all would be familiar with , let me first piont out that the pod was just roughly aligned South and altitude was set of the EQ6 , I overburdened the EQ6 with the 1000D and a el cheapo 300mm lens too.. . anyway I got star drift after anything over 3 minutes due to alignment being way off. But Im happy with the 1000D and the mount. Some day soon I might actually have a telescope. Here is my evaluation shot of the Belt and Sword Region, 6 x 3 at 800 ..

Dont trust the dec setting guide on these mounts, I reckon this ones about 2 degrees off...

No Darks flats blah blah , evaluating the camera only.. the lens really sucks...:lol:

Shawn
24-12-2008, 02:12 AM
After taking this image I realized you could set focus on the PC with the live view function and magnify it too... Doh... So yes focus is soft...:doh::doh:

Buddman
26-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi Shawn,

I've recently picked up a 1000D, I'm quite happy with it.

I found that the live view was OK for focussing if there is a bright enough star to use. If there is no star I use the test shot facility and fine tune the focus that way, works really well.

Considering the alignment and the lens the image looks fine.

You'll be dangerous with a scope.

Adam

xelasnave
26-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Good on you Shawn..you gotta do some darks even if the clouds come in..
good choice of camera
alex

Shawn
04-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Thankyou for your comments Alex and Adam, Ive since learnt a few things about this camera, and aside from missing the pixels of its its bigger brothers, I would have to say its better than the 350D I had last in all other respects, the missing pixels are not really a big concern...I had considered that I was downgrading...but NO, I dont think so...Its a great little camera...
It dosnt bloom so readilly as the 350 did, the Live view is just great, and its incredibly light..the LCD window if used has large display,s of info I need and is easily dimmed or turned off, the menu system is easy to navigate in the dark..and it will run all night on the battery. So it must be more efficient, one might assume that this results in less heat from a dscharging battery warming the chassis... maybe, :shrug:...none the less Ive ordered n AC coupler... Very happy with it...:)

anthony.tony
04-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Your on your way.

atalas
04-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Shawn

Nothing like a new camera ! congrats.

matt
04-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Well done, Shawn.

Apart from the Orion neb....I can see a little horsey and flame in there too:thumbsup:

Buddman
04-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I noticed that the battery seems to go a lot longer on the 1000D too. I haven't even got down to halfway on the battery meter. Probably more efficient camera and a better battery.

Screwdriverone
04-01-2009, 11:12 PM
nice one Shawn,

The flame nebula actually looks like a little face with sunglasses on!

Anyone else see this?

Chris.

Jen
04-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Ummmmmmmmm no Chris :lol::lol::lol: no little faces with sunnys on here :lol::lol:
:shrug::shrug:

Screwdriverone
05-01-2009, 12:56 AM
:cool:

Hmmm, nope I can definitely see it. have a look under Altinak and the flame nebula area looks like a dude with sunnies on, looking to the left?

I am not on any mind altering substances either. I have attached a modified pic with an arrow pointing it out....

:shrug:

Chris

Omaroo
05-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Shawn - for the focus issue, maybe a Bahtinov mask will help. The six-spiked diffraction pattern generated is brilliant on zoomed live view because your focus error is well over-exaggerated - making it easier to nail. I recently had one made up for a 50mm filter which just slips on to my 50mm camera lenses beautifully. Works well!

MrB
05-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Yeah Chris I can see it, looks kinda like Bleeding Gums Murphy from the Simpsons :D

Screwdriverone
05-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Hey yeah, so it does, nicely spotted MrB (is that Burns?) Excellent!

Release the hounds.

Chris