PDA

View Full Version here: : Carina and Orion - first time

blueskies123_89
21-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi all, my first post here

Took these last night with my Meade SN8 and Canon 400D, I'm new to imaging and havn gotten the tracking perfect yet, so quite elongated stars, plz criticise it :)

Eta Carina: 40x30sec subs at ISO1600.
Orion: 68x30sec ISO1600; 3x30sec ISO 800; 7x30sec ISO400; 3x30sec ISO200

Both were combined with darks, flats, bias and stacked with DeepSkyStacker.

With 30sec at ISO1600, light pollution is quite dominant (since I live in suburbian Melbourne), is LP filter a good investiment?

thx

RobF
21-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Look pretty fine to me for early imaging efforts. I don't think anyone should be criticising you too hard for any imperfections in those beauties!

I'm still too much of an imaging newbie myself to sound knowledgeable about LP filters - have purchased one to help with nasty Brisbane sky, but haven't had much of a chance to compare with and without pics.

Welcome to IIS and thanks for posting though blueskies!!

:welcome: :hi:

AlexN
21-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow! what an opening post!! Fantastic results...

I've not used a light pollution filter myself despite living in light pollution central, Brisbane. A lot of forum members use LP filters with great success..

From this point, I think the first thing on your "to do" list should be organising guiding. Guiding and running 5 minute exposures will increase your signal to noise ratio, providing cleaner "noise free" images.

The light pollution filter will definitely help being that I know a 5 minute exposure here in brisbane with a digital SLR produces a white image..

Its good to see you are fully calibrating your images this early in the game... I took my time to learn about flats/bias/darks, and my images suffered due to this...

Welcome to Ice In Space mate...

Great images.
Alex.

multiweb
21-12-2008, 08:01 PM
superb work for a first timer. keep at it. :thumbsup: