PDA

View Full Version here: : Running Man NGC 1977

spearo
07-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Hello everyone,

Had a brief window between the Moon and clouds this Friday past.

Here's a couple of versions of the Running Man.
Processed with DeepSkyStacker as usual with flats (and then a bit of PS)

One processed with Bilinear interpolation of the RAWs towards a standard blue outcome,

the other processed using the bayer matrix as is no interpolation and without further aligning of the channels upon completion of the stack.

The second version gave me a range of colors i didn't expect but upon checking other pics on the net found others had had similar results (albeit much nice than my poor efforts)

Anyways,

Please let me know which you prefer, standard blue or "color" version
Thanks
frank

Buddman
07-12-2008, 10:11 PM
OK, you lost me a bit - Bilinear interpolation, bayer matrix?

I this a part of DeepSkyStacker? I'm a bit of a newbie and haven't played with other options in DSS.

Definately like the colour version. Very nice imaging.

Adam

AlexN
07-12-2008, 10:31 PM
The color image shows more of the dust surrounding the running man, I think the standardish blue image is pretty, but I dare say the colored one is more "accurate"

I think the running man, along with the flame, are two of the most overlooked deep sky targets around.. Obviously due to their close proximity to 2 of the most easily recognized targets out there...

Shame, your images prove theres a wealth of beauty in the running man, and it might be worth a closer look.. Alex.

Bassnut
07-12-2008, 11:39 PM
umm, sorry, I dont understand. The Bayer matrix conversion includes interpolation, so what was the 1st image? (Bayer conversion is required on a DSLR, it makes no sense without). Why would you need "futher" aligning of the channels after that?. The 1st image looks better IMO, the 2nds colour balance looks odd.

spearo
08-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks guys,
I like both so I cant decide !
Fred/Adam, it's in the DSS settings. Its all a bit beyond me but in the settings for RAWS Bayer Matrix transformation I have the option to use bilinear interpolation or the Bayer drizzle algorithm with no interpolation or debayerization. The latter produces 3 channels that aren't aligned unlike the first option.
When I have use that option in the past i tend to re-align the channels manually but in this case left them as they were.

Alex,
Thanks I agree, we just don't see this target enough i think, it's a real pretty target and looks like a bit of fun to process to too1
cheers
frank

Omaroo
08-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Great stuff Frank. I prefer the first image myself - purely because I'm starting to prefer more under than over-coloured nebulonic (?? LOL!) images. I agree with Alex too - this is worthy of being a target in its own right. All you ever usually see is it being paired with that monstrosity next door. Thanks for the perspective! :)

Hagar
08-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Frank, I like the blue. I think the saturation looks much more natural without the stars colours jumping out to bite you.

spearo
08-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks Doug and Chris
frank

Alchemy
09-12-2008, 11:43 AM
the color if the red is actually Ha emmission. ..... note im looking at this on my laptop which doesnt give good color reproduction,

spearo
09-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks Clive,
the color version shows some brownish nebulosity which may be more to do with my camera and processing in terms of color. I have seen similar ranges of colors in other posts of this target elsewhere which is what made me think of it in the end.
thanks
for the feedback
frank

TrevorW
09-12-2008, 08:54 PM
both !!!

strongmanmike
10-12-2008, 05:40 PM
DOH, you've got a fifty fifty vote :doh: :lol: probably fair enough too, both have their good points ie the blue is more traditional and pleasing to the eye, where the more dusty look is probably more accurate?

So, being an expert at combining images :P ...I recommend you coregister them and do a 50/50 blend of the two in PS = perfect :thumbsup:

Mike

spearo
10-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Thansk Trevor and Mike
Yes Mike , how great is that a 50 / 50 split ! I think that's great.

I hadn't thought of combining them...might be worth a go!
thanks everyone
cheers
frank

Garyh
11-12-2008, 08:38 AM
I actually prefer the color version but maybe toned down slightly...
I think it gives a more natural rendition of the area as it does have a mix of Ha thrown into the reflection neb as well as that brown dusty stuff as well. The blue one is pleasing but only shows one aspect of the running man.
Nice images by the way :thumbsup:

spearo
11-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks Gary
frank

renormalised
22-12-2008, 03:56 PM
I like them both, but more to the point and something I've always wanted to know.....where in the hell is he running to??!!!:eyepop::D:P

Maybe he needs to catch a passing comet:P

gregbradley
25-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Interpolation here means the mathematical calculation of the surrounding pixels when constructing a colour image given that the camera is a mono chip with a layer of coloured filters in a 4 pixel square of RGGB or similar.
That filter is called the Bayer matrix.

Interpolation then reconstructs an image making it more like it were taken 1x1 binning rather than the 2x2 binning that DSLRs use due to their 4 pixel colour filter layer where each colour point in the image is made up of 4 pixels. Interpolation then makes each pixel count in constructing the image and is an attempt to get more resolution back towards mono 1 pixel = part of the image versus 4 pixels equals one part of the image.

There are different mathematical methods of calculating neighbouring pixel values. Bilinear is one of them. There is a site that compares the results
of different mathematical methods- PHD guiding as I recall.

Interpolation is why a colour cam is not 1/4 the resolution of a mono cam with filters but more like 60% of the resolution of a mono camera. Choosing the method that results in the closest approximation of an image that were taken without a colour filter can make a big difference in resolution.
The main problem with colour cams versus

I think the best colour is between the 2, the first does not show the crimson colours and the second shows them a bit too saturated so in between would be my preference in colour. Nice image either way.

Greg.

Jen
27-12-2008, 01:08 PM
:) i like the blue better
for some of us that dont have the photography equipment :sadeyes: (YET)
it is more real to what we can see with our eyes :D