PDA

View Full Version here: : Wiruna session this Saturday and Sunday

multiweb
01-12-2008, 03:31 PM
After a long period of clouds and bad weather in Sydney I bit the bullet and decided to head out to Ilford despite the weather forecast. I left Sydney Saturday morning under the rain, not expecting much but I had to "just get out" and take whatever would come my way. I arrived to partly cloudy skies in Wiruna and set up my scope and tent under sun showers . Then Rob (Astrodood) turned out and we looked at each other under sprinkling rain thinking "are we nuts or what?" :screwy:. Well guess what? Against all odds the skies opened up and we had two nights in a row of absolutely incredible seeing and transparency. :2thumbs: When I did my polar alignment with a 6mm illuminated eyepiece. I first thought something was wrong because my alignment stars weren't bouncing at all. Usually at that magnification it's like looking just above a hot plate, dancing and all. When I further did my focus run with the hartman, then bathinov masks on the CCD the diffraction spikes were unreal.
Anyway I've got so much data to process over the next few days. I thought I'd quickly post a couple of pictures of the imaging site next to the house. Will post the DSO shots when done after I have a good couple of days sleep. We really felt for the poor buggers who stayed in Sydney ... (not really) What a thunder light show it was looking East while we were imaging under pristine skies :lol:

wysiwyg
01-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Cant wait to see the images, well done!

No guts no glory !

smersh
01-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Amazing how you photoshopped out the clouds and every drop of rain from these pictures...well done.

PS - I still have 80 bucks of petrol in my car.

multiweb
01-12-2008, 04:02 PM
:lol: I've got the new set of PS actions called Oz Forecast. Does a bang up job on those clouds.

PS - My car takes only $28.00 to go and come back from Ilford and I have over 15 hours of data in my laptop :whistle:

MasterMaster
01-12-2008, 04:21 PM
INCONCEIVABLE!!

I was going to go up on Saturday too, but on Friday I was informed that I could expect a courier delivery on Monday... so that meant I couldn't stay on Sunday night... which looked like it would be the only good night. So I had to stay home. Here it is Monday and Wiruna was clear and my delivery is now expected tomorrow.

What did I do wrong??? Grrr.

Thanks for pics - I really wish I'd gone as I too needed to "just get out"- I'm glad that you both had a 'good time' - and thanks leaving my caravan spot clear, guys!! :-)

I took some shots from home last night - seeing was pretty woeful and I haven't even bothered to look at the data....

Cheers for now,
Mark.

robgreaves
01-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Nice to see my space near the radio telescope is still vacant ;)

The best seeing (for imaging) I have ever experienced was at Wiruna. Smallest, tightest stars I had ever seen on my CCD sensor. A shame I only managed an hour though before it clouded out!

Regards,
Rob

AlexN
01-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Looks like you've got a nice spot there...

Wondering, How do you find the little observatory tent? I've eyed one of these off before, and figured it looks like a good enough plan, but have wondered how they go in practice?

I look forward to images!

multiweb
01-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Best thing I ever bought.:) I love it and couldn't do without it now. Very practical. Keeps all my stuff dry (see the mess on the floor?) and great wind cover too. I only open half so my table and laptop, etc... are out of the dew. I imaged in it all night without a sweat at -2c in May. It was covered in ice.

strongmanmike
01-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Amazing Marc, just amazing :eyepop:

I am veeeery jealous, I can tell you ....tis a pitty Wiruna is 4hrs away for me, trips there for me must be planned a few days in advance and there needs to be a good chance that clear skies will prevail, the reports just didn't suggest that enough during the week :shrug:..oh well. The Starfire and excellent seeing just love each other too :sadeyes: was the seeing good all night?

Great stuff, and I (we) look forward to seing what you grabbed mate! :thumbsup:

Mike

Bassnut
01-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Good guess Marc, brave. Goes to show Mike is a wooze (duh). Sometimes I think of this road trip myself, given the crap weather Sydney gets nowadays (has been typical lately, nov-dec)

multiweb
02-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Yeah, as I said, although it was a plain stupid move, I had to get out. I couldn't take much more of the weather in Sydney. Just got very very lucky.

Actually Rob said "Imagine what Mike would have done tonight with his rig" :eyepop:. You're always talking about seeing. I'm telling you. You needed sun glasses to look west at venus that night. We though the glow was LP until it went down :)

Astrod00d
02-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Yep, Satdee and Sundee at Wiruna were about the best I've seen. I was surprised that Marc was the only other 'imaging weirdo' at the house apart from myself.

Marc, you're right, I do recall saying Mike would've had a great Sunday night. This astro imaging business, you gotta be on the spot despite what the weather report says! :D

Cheers,

Rob

Exfso
23-01-2010, 03:01 AM
I had one of these Igloo tents, not good if you have a crook back. You have to crawl in and out of the enclosure, also if your setup is approaching large, there is not a great deal of room to move around. I had my G11 inside with the 130 on top and I was really struggling to move around. Ended up selling it. Just my 2cents worth.

CoolhandJo
23-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Good one Marc! Looking forward to the images.

multiweb
23-01-2010, 08:30 AM
That's a very old post Paul :)

True but it does the job keeping the scope out of the wind and laptop/table out of the dew. I have the scope with G11 in one half and the laptop/table on the other half covered. If you place everything right you have room to move around and swing the scope about. I even fit the C11 in there. The main advantage is you can just close it and go to bed when you're done. Keeps everything dry.

CoolhandJo
23-01-2010, 08:45 AM
DOh! Should read dates!

Mighty_oz
23-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Looking forward to all these pics :) Hey where is wiruna so i can google map it as it brings up nothing atm if i try ? Ahh found it ASNSW site :) Lovely.

seeker372011
23-01-2010, 05:17 PM
marc
a question or two
where did you source your observing tent?

is the tent floor attached as usual to the sides,and does your tripod sit on the floor --- doesnt that cause any problems?

do you find it reasonably weatherproof if the weather turns ugly?

do you have any trouble seeing enough of the sky to find the required number of alignment and calibration stars?

Thanks in advance!

multiweb
23-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Bought it from the uS at the time and it was approx $300.00. I believe you can get it from Bintel now or local shop anywhere in Oz.

The tent is one block. Sides and floor are one piece. It's only opened at the top. I use rubber pads [clark rubbers] under the G11 tripod legs. Always did. It dampens the vibrations on concrete and stop legs from sinking when on grass. Also protects the tent floor which is the same fabric as the walls.

Yes. It will put up with a severe beating and heavy rain. The only time I broke a couple of rods was at the SPSP2009 but the wind that night was extreme. Was back in business next day.

Not at all. I can see the whole sky and can image as low as M31 or M45 which is good enough. Although I could go under 20-15degrees there's not much point imaging that low anyway. Scopes whether it's my 5" newt or C11 with dew shield move freely and don't bump anywhere. You just have to position the tripod right.

telecasterguru
23-01-2010, 08:46 PM
2008 was such a good year.

seeker372011
23-01-2010, 10:18 PM
thanks Marc

sounds like a very reasonable investment

Narayan

AlexN
23-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Narayan - I've seen one of these babies in action, and I must say, I want one... Even if you planned on doing a two night image from home over a friday/saturday night, this would be awesome as the whole lot could stay set up.. laptop and all....

Its been on my "long as all the veins in my body list of things to buy" for a while now.

seeker372011
23-01-2010, 11:25 PM
yes exactly..I don't plan on Wiruna but even just at Linden...or even at home...lot less than an observatory and a lot easier to get past SWMBO
;)

multiweb
24-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Here you go - check here (http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/viewing%20tent.htm)

Barrykgerdes
24-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Can you buy spare rods in case the wind gets too strong.:D:D

Barry

multiweb
24-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Yes. They're standard beach-tent rods from Ray's Outdoors. There's also a shop that can get you out of trouble in Kandos ;)

tlgerdes
25-01-2010, 08:48 PM
That looks nothing like your tent ......... the last time I saw it.

Maybe if you turn the picture upside down, it sort of resembles it.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: