PDA

View Full Version here: : NGC 1360 in Fornax

Martin Pugh
10-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Hello everyone

the spate of clear nights before the moon started to intervene allowed me to finish off a number of projects. The NGC 2070 image I posted the other day was not one of them however, that data is a couple of months old.

This however was one and is a fairly bright planetary in Fornax.

I tried a synthetic luminance on this one, so the exposures here are

L + L(Syn)RGB 5.5 hours: 7.5 hours: 2.5 hours : 2.5 hours: 2.5hours
all unbinned.

http://www.martinpughastrophotography.id.a u/NGC1360.jpg

it was a little difficult to fetch out the red nebulosity that was hiding in this planetary.

hope you like it and thanks for looking as always.

best regards

Martin

spearo
10-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Wow!
great shot,
love the smoothness of the nebula.
well done
frank

glenc
10-11-2008, 08:06 AM
An amazing image Martin. :thumbsup:
It is interesting to note that both the Herschel's missed this bright object.
It was discovered by Lewis Swift in 1857 and also seen by Winnecke in 1868.
http://www.klima-luft.de/steinicke/ngcic/persons/winnecke.htm
The Hershel's also missed the Helix nebula NGC 7293.

Garyh
10-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Very nice Martin! Love it!
Is that a little neb tail sticking out the RH side?
cheers Gary

jase
10-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Martin, Without a doubt this is an excellent effort, but seriously, this image doesn't raise the heart rate. NGC1360 is rather featureless (clearly, nothing you can do about that) and many stars display magenta rings. Not your finest hour, but I appreciate your effort. Thanks for sharing.

h0ughy
10-11-2008, 12:34 PM
well for a photon starved man like myself this is a crowd pleaser - look at the background faint galaxies and i have never seen this object before.

Starkler
10-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Is that a reason to not bother? I think there is merit in imaging all objects capable of being imaged, whether they are showpiece objects or not.

Personally I skip over the myriad images of standard fare objects posted here unless I recognise the authors name and hence expect to see something special.

The usual m42, m8, tarantula, ngc253 et al have all become very boring and same-o to me. I applaud anyone with the courage and skills to go off the beaten track to attempt other less known objects. These are the imaging threads that I open to look at.

I dont pretend to be knowledgeable enough to critique the works of a skilled imager, but the image sure looks nice to me.

So Martin heres a :thumbsup: from me, and thanks for sharing :)

jase
10-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Why bother? That's your interpretation Geoff and not what I was insisting. I concur that its great to image off the beaten path targets. I've seen many images of this target - here's (http://members.tip.net.au/%7Estevec/ngc1360_STL11K_RC.htm) another by Aussie Steve Crouch...also with a 12.5" RC. Martin has produced what I would consider to be one of the finest presentations of this target I've seen to date, even if the image just doesn't do it for me. Going deep with some NB filters or operating at an even longer FL may produce an entirely different scene that delivers a punch, something memorable or captures the viewers imagination. Actually, the latter (longer FL) may also not deliver given Jim's 32" RC image (http://www.mistisoftware.com/astronomy/Nebulae_ngc1360.htm). My statement should not dissuade the imager having a crack - go for broke I say.

Alchemy
10-11-2008, 05:36 PM
interesting rendition of a little imaged object, gets a tick from me.

must admit im rather envious of the hours you can clock up with clear skies.... not so good here in melbourne.

strongmanmike
10-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Beautiful image of a fascinating little gem in our southern skies but I have to agree with Jase, spending 20hours on this object wouldn't even occur to me..?...err?..Centaurus A perhaps? :D :lol:

Now... if I had an automated observatory though that I could use anytime it was clear, even for an hour or two..? nooooow that's a different story! ;)

Nice job Martin, now how about commenting on some other peoples images occassionally? I know a lot on here would appreciate some feedback from a greenhorn ill-equiped struggler imager like you :P

Mike

Bassnut
10-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, nice change from the top 10, well done, but Im with Jase, needs some extra trick to kick it along. Wouldve thought Ha, despite the painfull exposure times (thats why ppl have PMEs), might have bought up some interesting detail Martin .

Martin Pugh
10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone...yes its a plain object isnt it?

and you're about those stars...and that's the synthetic lum I believe...first time I have used this technique.

Currently shooting 4 new targets throughout the night...lots of narrowband obviously, so time to move on.

cheers and thanks for looking

Martin

gregbradley
10-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Oooh is it Easter already?? It looks like a broken easter egg.

I like it. Very unusual and you captured it beautifully.

Greg.

Screwdriverone
10-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Very nice indeed Martin,

Never seen this one before, thanks for posting, it looks a little like a purple Casper the friendly ghost trapped in a blue balloon!?

As for the comparison to the 31.5cm RC photo, I prefer this one so there! nyah!

Cheers

Chris

Ric
11-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Quite an interesting nebula Martin and one I have not seen before.

I agree with Greg, it's a bit like a broken Easter egg with some nice dark lane cracks as well.

Cheers

Octane
11-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Martin,

Looks like a chewy gum-like lolly. Yum.

Well done.

Regards,
Humayun

Martin Pugh
11-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Gents

thank you very much for taking the time to comment.

I appreciate it.

cheers
Martin

atalas
15-11-2008, 06:07 PM
A colorful blob with lots of faint fuzzy....I like It !