PDA

View Full Version here: : NGC 2070 in Ha

multiweb
06-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Just got my H alpha filter Monday and last night was clear so I gave it a spin from my light polluted backyard. I picked the worst target, looking south relatively low to start with. Just above my neighbourg's roof and his damn flood lights, over the M7 lights and finally coping with some major sky glow from cross roads on the hume Highway. I've got to say I was just stoked with the result considering, I wasn't expecting much. But now I'm considering getting SII, OIII and a shed with a roll of roof :)

Picture details: 20x10min. 2" Baader Ha 7nm + MPCC + Clear nose piece + QHY8 [gain:1 offset:60] + Newtonian Celestron 5" F/5 at prime focus + G11 autoguided with ED80/PHD. Didn't think I would need flats but I will next time. Did also a bit of sharpening in CCD stack.

I tried using the Ha as a Lum and combine it with previous R, G & B I got from Wiruna but it turned out with "funny" colors so I'll have to do some more reading about this. But I'm definitely converted to narrow band now. For backyard imaging that is.

Thanks for looking. Comments/Tips most welcome.

For those interested there is a full frame at : http://www.multiweb.com.au/astro/ngc_2070_ha_f.jpg [1.9MB file]

Bassnut
06-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Very Nice Marc, considering the conditions you had, sharp detail there (much more than lum would give). Thats the beauty of NB, and youll find imaging with the moon up handy too.

I dont use flats for NB, they dont seem to make much difference at long FLs.

multiweb
06-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks Fred. My scope is not realy suited for my camera chip size and I do get a fair bit of vignetting so I have to use flats most of the time I find it a real pia.

Jen
06-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Nice pic Marc :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tandum
06-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Looks and sounds very encouraging Marc. A 2" Baader Ha turned up in the mail here today :)

multiweb
06-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks Jen. Glad you like it.

Awesome. You'll have fun with it :thumbsup:

AlexN
06-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Marc, Great looking Ha shot! :) Once you get HaRGB blending under control you'll be set... You can capture hours and hours of Ha data whilst the moon is polluting the sky! Its definitely subdued my hatred of the moon and suburban life :)

multiweb
07-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks Alex. Same here. I'm also looking forward to do more imaging from home now. Lately matching the weather in Sydney with new moon periods has been a bit like playing lotto :whistle:

bluescope
14-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Nice data Marc ... I had to tweak it a bit ... hope you don't mind.
I must get an Ha filter, where did you buy the Baader from ?

:thumbsup:

multiweb
15-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks Steve. There's actualy a better version here (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=37687) ( I think :whistle:) Let me know what you think. I'll PM you the info for the filter now.

Hagar
15-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Very nice result Marc. Should help produce some nice LRGB/ HaRGB images after working out the combining problems. The detail is lovely with a good crisp focus. Well done.

atalas
15-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Nice detail Marc!

Octane
15-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Marc,

Looking good!

Regards,
Humayun

multiweb
18-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys:thumbsup:.

Matty P
24-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Lovely image Marc, so much detail.

Very well done. :thumbsup:

strongmanmike
24-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Ha just looks so good I recon! Particularly on this region.
Nicely framed too and plenty of HII in that image :eyepop:

Re needing the flat, the top right is meant to be darker than the lower left becasue there are less stars in that direction. The Trarantula is kind of on the edge of the galaxy so the main part of the galaxy is down to the left in your image so there should be more stuff down there, by spreading it all out like it looks like medling'ol Steve (meant nicely Steve :D) has done, is actually not quite right. If you do flats you will get these sorts of things more accurate :thumbsup:

Mike

multiweb
24-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks Mike. Don't have to convince me :) - I totally agree. Flats are bloody hard to get right, for me anyway. The latest Tarantula here (http://www.multiweb.com.au/astro/ngc_2070_ha_f.jpg)I think is the closest to what is "real" I think. I'm very close to nearing a solution with my flats so hopefully my next posts will be spot on.:whistle:

multiweb
24-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks Matty. :thumbsup: That was an old post actually. The newer version here (http://www.multiweb.com.au/astro/ngc_2070_ha_f.jpg) is as good as it's going to get for my setup right now until I get my new focuser.