PDA

View Full Version here: : PST Binoplatform

kljucd1
22-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi,

More out of curiosity than anything else, but I can't help but wonder, has anyone used one of these PST binoplatforms (http://www.apm-telescopes.de/info.php?id=53755&search=1&hersteller=&kategorie=&seiten_id=1&suchbegriff=pst&order=A.name_1&action_allgemein=go&action_detail=&preispanne1=&preisspanne2=), or known anyone who has?

If not, does anyone know if it would even be worth doing? The the APM Telescopes offering is very expensive, but it should be something that I can make myself.

I ask because I recently bought a second hand PST/SM40 combo, because it was cheaper to do this than to buy just the SM40 to double stack the PST I already had, so now I have two PSTs at them moment.

Let me know your opinions ;).

Thanks

Daniel...

Satchmo
22-09-2008, 09:28 PM
You might want to check out this thread (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=18113) and talk to someone who has done it. The Howie Glattor model will be much cheaper than the german one.

kljucd1
23-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the link Satchmo, much appreciated. Do you know of anyone who has done this before? I might need to see what I can come up with.

Regards

Daniel...

Satchmo
23-09-2008, 06:40 PM
The guy who raised the seems to have built his own so I guess thats the kind of expertise you want. A binocular view is always much greater than `the sum of its parts'.

Merlin66
23-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Daniel,
You could convert one using the PST etalon into a 80mm objective.
Just need a C-ERF up front, a PST to 2" nose piece adaptor and a 80mm scope where you can position the etalon about 200mm inside focus.
I've actually done it with a 60mm objective ( no ERF) and the views are MUCH better than the PST.
The 2" nosepiece is available here:
http://www.teleskop-austria.at/prod.php?tid=28&lng=de#sonne-adap-pst

kljucd1
23-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Merlin,

I don't suppose you have a website that is in English for the nose piece? Also, how would you remove the PST tube safely, and can it be re-attached?

Let me know

Thanks

Daniel...

Merlin66
24-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Daniel,
Lajos Szantho (lajos(at)liwest.at), who runs the business communicates well in english. I recently bought four of these nosepieces for members here in the UK. They are first class; well made, well finished.
The gold PST tube can be un-screwed from the etalon/ black body with the help of a tourniquet; I made mine from a length of webbing and a flat stick. (A bit like an oil filter remover) Hold the body in a padded vice/ clamp.
The tube can easily be screwed back into place, so the PST can be returned to it's original condition.
Did you get a BF ( diagonal) filter with your SM40?

kljucd1
24-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi Merlin,

No I only got the PST and SM40. Have you taken any images using your 60mm version, if so, post one hey?

Daniel...

Merlin66
24-09-2008, 11:01 PM
I've got the "solar observing platform" ie the ED80 + 1000 Oaks white light filter mounted parallel with the 80mm Vixen +SM60+pst etalon+BF15 filter; all ready to go. I'll use the DMK21 flywire camera.
Only problem is the weather. Haven't seen the sun for the last 5 days!!!
I have an adaptor "design" which allows the use of the BF5 ( ex-PST) on the 80mm modified arrangement. PM me if interested.
BTW there's a Coronado BF10 filter for sale over here for 230GBP