PDA

View Full Version here: : Box for Vixen ED

xraydelta1
16-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Its funny, isn't it, that you can spend thousands on a telescope and all you have to carry it is it's original cardboard box, and that doesn't last long.

I got a quote for a case to be made for my refractor, but $550+ is a bit steep for a case, no matter what it's made of.

I'm sure I'm not the first, but I hit on making a box of 6mm MDF with 20mm square pine for strength, using the foam packaging for the scope to determine internal dimensions.

Lacking the tools myself I had Bunnings cut up a sheet of MDF to the right sized bits and set about putting the thing together, using wood screws and a bit of glue where needed.

After it was all dried and done, I went with the idea of tie down straps and click buckles (like on a camera bag) to hold the thing closed, secured by larger screws and flat washers at key points. the carry handle was made from offcuts of the straps, folded a few times at the anchor points and bolted to the lid with decent sized nuts, bolts and washers.

I'm in the process of painting it with white acrylic and once that's done, I'll post a few pictures.

Wavytone
16-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Hmm in the last few days I've been pondering same, as my Mak likewise is in a cardboard box and a 102ED refractor (on its way) is probably also packed in cardboard. However... I have had a nice solid wooden refractor box before, it was bloody heavy. And MDF is not my choice - the result will be very heavy, it's not much more than compressed cardboard, it won't take much for any screws/hinges to pull out, and once moisture (dew) gets in, its doomed. You could make something lighter using a frame and plywood sides, but its going to be fiddly to make, through it would look fantastic - until it scratched.

I found a few sites selling more rugged cases for various smallish refractors including yours but they range from 125 euros to $US500 or so, hence making one is probably advisable. There are long pelican gun cases (they look like they were designed for an AK47 or an M-16) but they'd hold a scope just as well, although it might be a bit of a nuisance if that went through airline baggage handling.

I'm thinking of something more like a lightweight travel bag made from a breathable but tough fabric such as canvas or similar in two layers, quilted inside with a layer of dense foam stitched in between to protect the scope, with a pair of shoulder straps made from webbing sewn round the outside. Materials should be cheap enough, probably a weekend of sewing. Could even resemble a padded backpack. I had a bag like this for a Celestron tripod once and it worked a treat. The other idea comes from my sailing days - the centreboard and rudder blades for high-performance dinghies were often packed in a sheath made from carpet, turned inside out and the same should work fine for a scope.

leon
16-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Yep Richard, that is a pretty common story, one pays a fortune for a scope and you would reckon they could throw in a proper protective case, but the answer is always NO.

I tend to make my own as well, and their construction is probably better and cheaper as well.

Glad you went down that path, and I hope it serves you well.

Leon

AlexN
18-09-2008, 12:52 AM
I would love to make a hard carry box for my C11.. but shudder at the idea of its weight... :)

Looking forward to seeing pics mate.

xraydelta1
18-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Here are the images as promised...

Finishing touches: fix up a protruding screw or two, maybe a coat of paint on the inside of the lid and larger flat washers for the inside handle bolts (not absolutely crucial, but just for added piece of mind).

FYI the whole thing, packed, weighs in at 12kg. The straps are rated to 20kg each.

Total cost in materials including MDF, pine, glue, paint, straps, screws, bolts and washers? $50.

xraydelta1
19-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Fresh from making the scope box, I did the same for the HEQ5 Pro mount. Not painted yet but made from the same materials as the scope box, this unit has added strength with 20x40 pine around the outside. I fashioned a couple of handles from the same stuff and have a slide off lid held with another tie down strap. When I work out a more effective lid system I'll implement it.